Become a fighter against malware and join the forum at SensorsTech!  The SensorsTech’s forum is the place where you can solve your PC issues and educate yourself about malware. You are welcome to discuss various security topics with our professional team and other users like you! To unlock all features of the forums, you have to create an account. Otherwise, you can only browse the topics without taking part in the discussions. To leave a comment or ask your questions, read our Registration Agreement and create your free account here.

mcinn

• +24/-0
      • View Profile
Do you use public wifi?
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:25:33 pm »
I am asking this question not just out of curiosity. A new experiment was just performed by Avast during Mobile World Congress currently held in Barcelona.

It turns out that more than 2,000 people connected to three WiFi spots set up by Avast experts, and exposed their PII.

Read more about the experiment and its results: http://sensorstechforum.com/avast-mobile-experiment-proves-why-open-wifi-is-dangerous/

So, do you use public wifi on a regular basis, or just when you're abroad and cannot afford using your data?

never

• +23/-0
  • Network Administrator and Malware Researcher
      • View Profile
Re: Do you use public wifi?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:50:41 pm »
Since it may take too long for me to explain how a buddy got infected with adware seeing commercials forced by a Pizza place's public Wi-Fi on her smartphone I will just leave this meme here ;)

evans

• +0/-0
      • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:09:19 pm »
Hi, guys!

I usually use public wifi whenever my smartphone detects an available open network. Unfortunately, my phone is infected by similar adware as the case of @never's buddy. I download and made scans with several AV applications but they they didn't detect anything ... Do you have some other advices?
I read the article and definitely want to install mobile VPN service. Do someone of you use such service and which do you recommend?

Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 05:51:57 am »
Yeah. If its available and mostly in malls and buses.
I think they are secure.

Martin

• +6/-0
      • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 04:33:56 pm »
No, captive portals everywhere. I am lazy to fire up the necessary networking tools in order to spoof them.  D: