|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The toolbar is powered by Conduit search.|
|Symptoms||The user’s homepage may be changed to Conduit search. System settings may be changed.|
|Distribution Method||Bundling, Conduit bundler/installer, freeware installers.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool, to See If Your System Has Been Affected By MyWebSearch toolbar|
The tb_mywebsearch.exe process belongs to the MyWebSearch toolbar. The executable has been detected by several AV programs as suspicious, potentially unwanted. According to the detection ratio on VirusTotal, the toolbar has a lot to do with the infamous Conduit hijacker. If detected on the system, it should be removed instantly.
MyWebSearch toolbar Description and Detections
The toolbar is not classified as a computer virus, and yet it is detected as a troublesome piece of software.
Here is a list of various AV detections:
- AVG detects it as Generic.834
- ESET-NOD32: a variant of Win32/ClientConnect.A potentially unwanted
- Kaspersky: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.Agent.avw
- Malwarebytes: PUP.Optional.ClientConnect
- AVware: Conduit (fs)
- Agnitum: PUA.Toolbar.Conduit!
tb_mywebsearch.exe Process Details
- File Type: Executable application (Win32 EXE)
- Bundler/Installer: Conduit Setup Manager (via Nullsoft Install System)
- Common path: C:\users\(username)\downloads\tb_mywebsearch.exe
- Digital Signature: Conduit Ltd.
- Hold the Windows Logo Button and “R” on your keyboard. A Pop-up window will appear (fig.1).
- In the field type in “appwiz.cpl” and press ENTER (fig.2).
- This will open a window with all the programs installed on the PC.
Select the program that you want to remove, and press “Uninstall” (fig.3).
- Move the cursor over “Tools” and then from the extended menu choose “Extensions“
- From the opened “Extensions” menu locate MyWebSearch toolbar and click on the garbage bin icon on the right of it.
- After MyWebSearch toolbar is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red “X” in the top right corner and start it again.
- Click “‘Tools’ to open the drop menu and select ‘Manage Add-ons’
- In the ‘Manage Add-ons’ window, make sure that in the first window ‘Add-on Types’, the drop menu ‘Show’ is on ‘All add-ons’
MyWebSearch Toolbar Other Specifications
As already mentioned, the toolbar is published and signed by Conduit. It is distributed via the Nullsoft Installer. It may be promoted on various freeware/shareware pages. MyWebSearch Toolbar also has an official website and may be downloaded from there.
Once installed, the user’s home page may be changed to Conduit search:
MyWebSearch Toolbar Removal Options
To sum it up, the toolbar can be classified as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program. To remove it entirely from the system, it is highly recommended to use AV software. Browser hijackers are known to temper with the Windows Registry and cause various system issues. For one, you may witness problems with your Internet Connection.
The good news is you can refer to our removal guide to rid the system of the intrusive toolbar.
Step 1: Remove/Uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar in Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps to remove that program. No matter if you are using Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program get left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, mistakes with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Follow the instructions above and you will successfully uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar.
Step 2: Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from your browser
Select the “Add-ons” icon from the menu
Select MyWebSearch toolbar and click “Remove”
After MyWebSearch toolbar is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red “X” in the top right corner and start it again.
Select MyWebSearch toolbar to remove, and then click ‘Disable’. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected toolbar, and some additional toolbars might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click ‘Disable’.
After MyWebSearch toolbar has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red ‘X’ in the top right corner and start it again.
From the drop menu select ‘Preferences’
In the new window select ‘Extensions’
Click once on MyWebSearch toolbar
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar. Select ‘Uninstall’ again, and the MyWebSearch toolbar will be removed.
In order to remove any associated objects that are left after uninstall and detect any other threats, you should:
Step 3: Start Your PC in Safe Mode to Remove MyWebSearch toolbar.
Removing MyWebSearch toolbar from Windows XP, Vista, 7 systems:
1. Remove all CDs and DVDs, and then Restart your PC from the “Start” menu.
– For PCs with a single operating system: Press “F8” repeatedly after the first boot screen shows up during the restart of your computer. In case the Windows logo appears on the screen, you have to repeat the same task again.
– For PCs with multiple operating systems: Тhe arrow keys will help you select the operating system you prefer to start in Safe Mode. Press “F8” just as described for a single operating system.
3. As the “Advanced Boot Options” screen appears, select the Safe Mode option you want using the arrow keys. As you make your selection, press “Enter“.
4. Log on to your computer using your administrator account
While your computer is in Safe Mode, the words “Safe Mode” will appear in all four corners of your screen.
Removing MyWebSearch toolbar from Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 systems:
Whilst holding down Shift button, click on Power and then click on Restart.
A menu will appear upon reboot. You should choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding number and the machine will restart and boot into Safe Mode so you can scan for and remove MyWebSearch toolbar.
Step 4: Remove MyWebSearch toolbar automatically by downloading an advanced anti-malware program.
To clean your computer you should download an updated anti-malware program on a safe PC and then install it on the affected computer in offline mode. After that you should boot into safe mode and scan your computer to remove all MyWebSearch toolbar associated objects.