In recent years a lot of research studies have shown that technology (and particularly computer) addiction has become one of the major phenomena of the last 20 years.
What do you think about this? Do you think that it is true and how affected are you by this "threat"?
Yes, everything has turned digital to some extent.
- Radio, Television, and Newspapers are still viable sources of information, but the newest and most wide-spread outlet for information has become the Internet. The World Wide Web encompasses a larger variety of sources and information. It also spreads the information faster, even if its fraudulent like in the case with rumors, but they also get dispersed faster. People, can see news from various different perspectives a lot quicker and easier, and even though TV and Radio have their audiences, the Web has turned some people to its side. Some people even rely on the Internet entirely for getting their news, weather forecasts, etc.
1.1) Social Media
- social media networks have become more than just media - they have been a way to communicate for a long time, but nowadays, that has become to some extent a replacement of normal conversations. For example - you can see two friends standing next to each other and writing to each other over social networks instead of talking. Or you can see them talkin by using texting terms like "OMG
", etc. Another example - instead of asking a person owrking in some field for his/her expertise, you refer to a search engine like Google
if you can find a solution to your problem or for personal advice.
2.) Gaming / Movies
- people still read books, but more and more people want a higher level of immersion. Also, some people find it easier to imagine what is happening in a narrative by seeing it displayed and unraveled before their eyes. This is the Golden Era of Gaming - now the immersion is even bigger as there is Virtual Reality. With bigger screens and special timings of the audio, plus the special effects make movies the more prefferable choice for "learning" a story than books.
- smartphones and IOT devices have become an unmeasurable part of our lives - from waking you up in the morning, navigating you to get to places faster, recommending you restaurants and shops, being a camera, radio, flashlight, a set of a worker's tools and a lot more.
4.) IOT devices
- IOT devices have emerged and have enchanced your living conditions, whether we are talking about the backyard of your house (security), or the depths of your heart (Peacemaker). Your life can depend on the proper functionality of a single IOT device, and sometimes you won't have a choice, but to have that IOT device, instead of it's non-digital equivalent.
5.) Technological evolution
- reading everything above gives us the notion of just a small fraction of how technology has become so intertwined with our lives. We are a visual society, tend to read less, talk less and indulge more into the depths of the technological world. Everything has become digital or has a digital equivalent if you think about it - books, cameras, traffic lights, security sections, thermostats, fridges, and any kind of smart devices. Also, think about how the hologram is now a fact and being worked on, Artificial Intelligence being improved, and the advance of genetics, such as limbs and other organs being digital...
We are surrounded by technology, wheter we like it or not, and technology has become such a deep part of our lives that we might just be considered strange if we say no to technology, computers and everything else technological.