The Xtube virus is a popular web threat which is spread across the Internet posing as an official adult videos site. The many virus samples are fake copies and/or attempt to fraud the victims into believing that they have accessed a safe resource. Read our in-depth Xtube virus removal guide to learn how to protect yourself from danger.
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Xtube download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Xtube Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Xtube Virus.|
Xtube Virus – How Did I Get It
The Xtube Virus is family of web threats which have different forms and versions. It is not a single infection and consists of multiple viruses which may be launched at the same time by different hacking groups. Depending on the exact version which is acquired by the victims they can expect different behavior. As other similar threats the Xtube Virus can either execute a built-in list of malicious instructions or choose what to do depending on local conditions.
One of the most popular forms under which the Xtube Virus is distributed is a malicious phishing site. This means that there can be multiple iterations which can be hosted on similar sounding domain names that also include stolen or fake content that may appear almost the same as the legitimate Xtube adult videos portals. Any interaction with them can lead to the following consequences:
- Tracking Cookies Installation — Upon visiting the dangerous sites tracking cookies will be deployed to the victims automatically via the browsers. They will allow the criminals to spy on the user interactions across the sites.
- Advertising Display — The dangerous sites can include ads and other related content which will generate income for the hackers. They can be in the form of pop-ups, banners, text links and etc. The Xtube virus sites can be made part of large-scale advertising networks and use the collected information from the tracking cookies to push personalized ads.
- Malware Delivery — The fake Xtube sites can be used to deliver all kinds of malware. Two of the most popular categories are browser hijackers (dangerous plugins made for the most popular web browsers) and miners. These miners can be embedded as scripts which are run as soon as the browsers open the relevant page. They will start to execute a sequence of resource-intensive tasks which will have a devastating effect on the performance and stability of the machines. When one of the tasks are reported as complete to the relevant servers they will award the hacker controllers income in the form of digital cryptocurrency which will be wired directly to their wallets.
The other common form under which the Xtube virus can be acquired is the web browser hijacker which is a dangerous plugin made for a web browser. They are commonly spread on the relevant repositories using fake user reviews and criminal identities. To manipulate the visitors into installing elaborate descriptions will be created. They will promise the addition of new features or performance enhancements regarding the Xtube site or other sites. In many cases these plugins will be advertised as being official or affiliated with the platform to gain the trust of the users.
As Xtube virus related executables can also be acquired by the victims users should be aware that there are two main categories of virus payload carriers:
- Malicious Documents — The hackers can create documents across all popular file formats: spreadsheets, presentations, databases and text files. As soon as they are opened by the victims a prompt will be spawned asking them to enable the built-in code. If they enable them the infection will occur.
- Infected Applications — The criminals can also construct dangerous setup packages of popular applications which are commonly spread using different methods, usually the phishing emails and malware sites. These setup packages are made by taking the legitimate installers from their official sources and modifying them to include the relevant Xtube virus. A large percentage of these files can be uploaded over file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both legitimate and pirate content is found.
At any time the hackers can shift the distribution mechanism which means that other methods can be used as well!
Xtube Virus – What Does It Do?
Depending on the exact version and typ of Xtube virus acquired the malware engine can execute different malicious actions. In this removal guide we will present the most typical ones that reflect what other similar infections have been found to do. Usually at the onset of delivery the built-in code will launch an information gathering module. Most of these components work by searching for specific strings within the memory and hard disk contents matching sensitive data. It can be used to reveal information regarding the victims and/or their machines. If a profile of the installed hardware parts is made then data can be further used to generate an unique ID that can be associated with each infected machine.
The Xtube virus can also be installed as a persistent threat which means that it will start every time the computer is powered on. It can also block access to the recovery boot options making it more difficult to follow manual user removal guides.
Further manipulation of the infected systems can lead to the modification of Windows Registry entries by creating new values for the malware or modifying already existing ones. This can lead to data loss, unexpected errors and serious performance issues. It can also identify and delete sensitive data such as restore points, shadow volume copies and backups.
Already existing infections can be used to deploy other malware including ransomware, Trojans and etc. As there are many different types of infections and variants we recommend that users employ a quality anti-spyware solution in order to protect themselves from possible infection.
Remove Xtube Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Xtube Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Xtube Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Xtube Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.