What Is YTDdownloader Mac
YTDdownloader is the name of a service that represents a YouTube download and conversion tool, however it may be a dubious version of such a tool, as many victims have reported it to show tons of different forms of advertisements. The main problems with these ads is that they may cause redirects and other forms of pop-ups, that may have some form of a script embedded in them. The main problem of this is some of them can even lead to dangerous sites in the form of scams or malware downloaded on your Mac, which is why it may be indirectly unsafe.
Keep reading this article if you want to find out more concerning YTDdownloader and what it is you can do in order to make sure it is gone from your browsers and your macOS as well.
YTDdownloader Mac – Details
|Type||Malware / PUP / Auto-Download / Redirect for Mac|
|Short Description||May change multiple settings on your web browsers and macOS in order to begin slithering a lot of different ads. .|
|Symptoms||You may begin to witness a lot of ads on the web browsers of your Mac and questionable software may be downloaded as a result of that.|
|Distribution Method||Via fake updates or downloads from shady sites, via software bundling, via automatic push notifications script|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by YTDdownloader
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss YTDdownloader.|
YTDdownloader Virus – How Did I Get Infected
YTDdownloader is the name of an app, known to be detected as a PUP. The main idea of this software is that it is made with the primary idea to show ads for profit, just like other such apps for Mac, like Ds.saivc.xyz, Files Informer and Mac Cleaner
YTDdownloader could arrive on your computer as a result of software bundling. YTDdownloader is the type of unwanted program that can be included in one of the installation steps of another program’s setup, where it can be shown to be a “free bonus app” or something similar to what the example below displays:
YTDdownloader Mac – What Does It Do?
Once YTDdownloader is added to your Mac, it may be installed as an application. What you do not see in the background is this app allowing itself permissions to modify your web browsers in a way so that you could start seeing ads of multiple kinds, such as:
- Interruptive banner ads.
- Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
- Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
- Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
- Intrusive push notifications.
Other activities this software is allegedly involved in is gathering information about your activities using different tracking objects:
YTDdownloader may use those trackers (cookies, pixels, etc) to perform various data collection activities, that may result in gathering the following details from your device:
- IP and Mac addresses.
- Your mouse movements.
- The browsing history from your browser.
- What searches you have made.
- Your bookmarked websites.
- What you have visited.
- Your mouse clicks.
- Different personally identifiable information you may type.
Is YTDdownloader a Virus?
YTDdownloader may not be a virus. However, it has been reported to be a PUP, that could be adware related, because this is often how these apps are monetised. This may be problematic in the log-run, because YTDdownloader may show ads that lead to third-parties that may be dangerous for your Mac, for example:
- Survey sites that are fraud.
- Phishing pages.
- Rogue software download sites.
- Tech support fraud pages.
- URLs, containing a virus infection file or script.
- Web pages that contain scams.
- Redirects to dangerous sites via multiple pay-per-click redirects.
This malvertising activity is what makes apps, like YTDdownloader potentially dangerous for your computer and their removal is strongly reccomended.
How to Remove YTDdownloader from Mac?
The YTDdownloader software can effectively be uninstalled from your machine if you follow the removal steps down below. They are created with the main idea to help you get rid of this application either by following them yourself or using a professional anti-malware for Mac to remove such unwanted software automatically. The second option is strongly advisable as such a software has the capability to detect and delete any unwanted objects, malware and trackers from Mac.
About the YTDdownloader Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this YTDdownloader how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on YTDdownloader?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the YTDdownloader threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall YTDdownloader and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to YTDdownloader:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to YTDdownloader. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to YTDdownloader. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove YTDdownloader via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as YTDdownloader. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove YTDdownloader – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove YTDdownloader files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as YTDdownloader, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is YTDdownloader on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of YTDdownloader on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like YTDdownloader?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from YTDdownloader?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.