The article will aid you to remove V9Search completely. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions provided at the bottom of this article.
Its website will redirect you to its search engine or another malicious site. While using its services, you can find yourself on pages with lots of adverts and sponsored content that go through this hijacker. The hijacker will change the start page, new tab, and search settings for the browser applications you have on your computer machine.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Each browser application on your computer could get affected. The hijacker can redirect you and will display lots of advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Browser settings which are altered are the homepage, search engine and the new tab.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by V9Search |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss V9Search.|
V9Search Hijacker – Methods of Distribution
The V9Search hijacker is distributed via various methods depending on the desired targets. The detected wave of hijacker infections are not massive in size however we expect that if the campaigns prove successful more samples will be launched.
One of the main tactics relies on the use of email SPAM messages that are sent in bulk containing various social engineering tactics. They will confuse the users into thinking that they have received a message from a famous companies or service that they might use. Any interaction with then can lead to the deployment of the hijacker installation code as the file or script can be attached or linked in the body contents. Common cases that are responsible for many hijacker installation include update notifications, enhanced software offerings and etc.
A similar mechanism is the creation of fake web sites that spoof legitimate and popular vendors, download portals and etc. They can be used to distribute the script installer files or malicious payload carriers. There are two common types which are the following:
- Infected Documents — The criminals will embed malicious scripts (macros) into document files of all popular types: spreadsheets, rich text documents, databases and presentations. Whenever they are opened by the victims a prompt will be spawned requesting them to enable the built-in scripts. If this is done they will download and execute the required commands which will download the hijacker code.
- Application Installers — Infected installers for popular end-user software are made by taking the original files and adding in the required malicious code. Example apps include the following: system optimizers, utilities, creativity suites and office apps.
These files can be spread over file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both legitimate and pirate content is found. The trackers used to distribute them will often impersonate legitimate files while in fact infected versions of them will be presented.
Hijackers are also uploaded to the plugin repositories of the most popular web browsers. This is among the most popular methods used by hackers as it is very successful and easy to implement. The malicious plugins will be uploaded with fake user reviews and developer credentials by promising new feature additions or performance optimization. If they are installed the hijacker installation will begin.
V9Search Hijacker – In-Depth Description
As soon as the V9Search browser hijacker is deployed onto the victim computers it will begin with the browser changes. Settings modification will be done to the supported browsers, usually the criminals will change the following values: default home page, search engine and new tabs page. As soon as this is done every time it is launched the V9Search hijacker page will be shown.
By itself the landing page will look just like any normal search engine. However any interactions with it may lead to both security and privacy issues. The users will a home page that is designed to look like a regular search engine. It is made of three sections: a top menu bar showing the search type (web, images, videos and news), a main search bar and a bottom bar allowing the users to toggle language options. While it may be a customized version of a well-known search engine there are many risks involved in its use.
Upon visiting any malware landing pages that victim users will most likely get infected with tracking cookies and any additional data harvesting modules. These two components are able to harvest information that can be categorized into two main groups:
- Personal Information — The associated engine and scripts can harvest data that may directly reveal the identity of the victim users. Such strings include the following: their name, address, phone number and any stored account credentials. As the infection happen through the web browsers the malicious code can interact with them to extract all stored information within them.
- Hardware Information — Most of the attack campaigns featuring such code also create an unique machine ID associated with the current infection. This is done by acquiring information about the installed hardware components and certain regional settings and then computing them via a built-in algorithm.
Complex infections can use the hijacked information in order to execute a security bypass. This will search for any installed security software that can detect and remove the V9Search hijacker infection. Examples of such applications include anti-virus and firewall products.
We remind our readers that not all V9Search hijacker instances are malicious in nature however those that are are very difficult to differentiate. As such their use is highly discouraged. Some of the possible outcomes of having them installed on the systems are the following:
- Sponsored Content — The web pages displayed in the user’s browsers can use elements that will redirect them to sponsored content, the reason for this is that every user interaction with the associated site will generate income for the hacker operators.
- Malware Software Offering — In many cases redirect sites like the V9Search hijacker are widely used to advertise infected application installers. The users may search for a certain program to download and instead of the legitimate executable file they will be shown a virus file.
- Windows Settings Change — The engine can altogether modify settings on the victim machines. This is usually related to the fact that they make it hard to remove active infections. Common modifications include those made in the Windows Registry — both operating system strings and those owned by third-party (user-installed) applications are affected. This can lead to performance issues and problems when starting certain services or functions.
Even though this is an extensive list of possible malware consequences one of the biggest dangers remain the installation of a Trojan virus. It is a client service that will establish a secure connection to a predefined hacker server. It allows the operators to spy on the users, hijack their data and also take over control of the machines. They can be recruited to a botnet network and later used in collaborative network attacks and other crimes. Many advanced Trojan threats install themselves in a persistent state which means that they will be started every time the computer is powered on. The made changes interact with the boot manager which in-turn may disable access to recovery menus. This can make manual user recovery instructions invalid.
Remove V9SearchBrowser Hijacker
To remove V9Search manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the hijacker redirect and its files completely, you should search for and remove any leftovers with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such a program can keep your computer safe in the future.