The article will aid you to remove Doppler Weather Radar completely. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions provided at the bottom of this article.
Doppler Weather Radar is a browser hijacker redirect developed by the Polarity. Its website will redirect you to its search engine or another malicious site. While using its services, you can find yourself on pages with lots of adverts and sponsored content that go through this hijacker. The hijacker will change the start page, new tab, and search settings for the browser applications you have on your computer machine.
|Name||Doppler Weather Radar|
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Each browser application on your computer could get affected. The hijacker can redirect you and will display lots of advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Browser settings which are altered are the homepage, search engine and the new tab.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Doppler Weather Radar |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Doppler Weather Radar.|
Doppler Weather Radar Hijacker – Methods of Distribution
The Doppler Weather Radar redirect is a typical browser hijacker infection that was reported in a large-scale distribution campaign. The malicious users behind it are using several spread tactics in order to increase the number of affected clients.
One of the primary tactics is the distribution of email infection campaigns — the criminals will send messages that pose as being sent by well-known companies or services that they might use. Alternative scenarios might be review sites or software promotions. In the body contents or file attachments the browser hijacker installation script will be launched.
In connection with this the hijacker may also be presented in various fake web site portals which may impersonate Internet portals, software download sites or others.
These two methods are among the most popular tactics used to spread infected payloads, a form of malware delivery that has proven to be very successful in spreading the redirect. There are two popular variants:
- Infected Documents — By interacting with such files the victims can install the hijacker code. They can be of any popular type: presentations, documents, database and spreadsheets. Whenever they are opened a prompt will appear asking the users to enable the built-in content. If this is done then the scripts will initiate the virus delivery and launch the infection.
- Modified Setup Files — The criminals behind the Doppler Weather Radar redirect may also take the original setup files of popular applications and embed the malicious scripts in them. This can be done with practically all software that is often used by end-users: system utilities, creativity suites and productivity solutions.
All of these files be spread also on file-sharing networks like BitTorrent. They are a popular conduit for spreading both legitimate content and pirate files. The trackers are frequently used by hackers or users to share both documents and paid software and games. This allows effective distribution of both infected payloads and the redirect install files themselves.
In the case of browser hijackers the main method can be the upload of the browser modification script by embedding it in browser plugins. They are made compatible with all popular web browsers and uploaded to their respective repositories. The hackers typically make use of fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to fool the users into thinking that they are accessing a legitimate and feature-enhancing extension.
Doppler Weather Radar Hijacker – In-Depth Description
Once the Doppler Weather Radar hijacker is installed on the victim systems it will immediately start its built-in configuration of malicious actions. This usually follows the classic scheme of manipulating the installed browsers into displaying a hacker-controlled page. This includes the default home page, search engine and new tabs page. When this is done every time the victims start their browsers they will see the hacker-set page.
As the infections are made through the web browsers, the malicious engine will also retrieve all stored data within them. This can be coupled with a separate data harvesting component. These two can be used to scan the infected system for data that can be categorized into two main groups:
- Private Data — The harvested information can be used to directly expose the identity of the victim users. The collected data can include their real name, email address contents, location and any stored credentials. By using both a hijacker and a separate module the contents of both the operating system, user files and third-party apps can be accessed.
- Hardware Information — The engine can create a list of the installed hardware components, user settings and certain operating system environment values.
Depending on the exact configuration of the hijacker the Doppler Weather Radar redirect may also run a security bypass which will search the systems for installed anti-virus engines or firewalls that can interfere with the virus execution. In certain cases it can also perform an environment check which shows if the virus is run in a virtual machine or a sandbox environment and disable the hosts. This is done in order to avoid detection.
After these modules have completed execution the virus engine will continue with certain system changes. They may modify the Windows Registry by manipulating the strings used by the operating system or the third-party applications. This can cause severe a degradation of performance or the inability to launch certain functions or services. This is related to the installation of the hijacker as a persistent threat which depends both on Registry and boot option modifications. The redirect will be made very difficult to remove using manual methods and in such cases cases an anti-spyware solution might be the only way to recover a computer.
The main goal of the Doppler Weather Radar hijacker is to showcase the malicious web page. It is designed to appear like any normal search engine by using a familiar looking template. The main elements are the following:
- Top Menu Bar — Shows a small search engine box together with links to services that the users might use.
- Main Search Engine — This is the main interactive element of the site. It shows a large custom search engine box with links to popular Internet services, social networks and merchants placed underneath it.
The primary aim of redirecting the victims users to this page is to manipulate them into interacting with the site elements. Users accessing the site should not be fooled into thinking that they will receive the best possible results to their queries. The hackers may redirect the victims to sponsored content in the form of ads, banners, pop-ups and etc. For each interaction they will receive a small percentage of the income. Alternative results can result in direct virus infections.
- Email address
- IP address
- Home address (mailing address)
- Search queries and all data you type in searches
- Search data and specifics of searches
- URLs and clicks
- Browser type
- Your name
- Your geographic location
- Your ISP (Internet Search Provider)
- Communications preferences
- Operating System (and other related data)
Remove Doppler Weather Radar Browser Hijacker
To remove Doppler Weather Radar manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the hijacker redirect and its files completely, you should search for and remove any leftovers with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such a program can keep your computer safe in the future.