The article will aid you to remove Searchesresult completely. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions provided at the bottom of this article.
Its website will redirect you to its search engine or another malicious site. While using its services, you can find yourself on pages with lots of adverts and sponsored content that go through this hijacker. The hijacker will change the start page, new tab, and search settings for the browser applications you have on your computer machine.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Each browser application on your computer could get affected. The hijacker can redirect you and will display lots of advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Browser settings which are altered are the homepage, search engine and the new tab.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Searchesresult Hijacker |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Searchesresult Hijacker.|
Searchesresult Hijacker – Methods of Distribution
The Searchesresult Hijacker can be distributed to the target computer users using various methods. It is a classic browser hijacker that exhibits the most typical characteristics of this malware type group.
Attack campaigns can make use of social engineering messages that persuade the target users into interacting with a payload, site or downloading a certain script or application. A list of some of them is the following:
- Email Messages — The hackers can craft messages that appear as being sent by well-known companies or services that the users might be using. They will be coerced into downloading a software, update or running a script that will ultimately lead to the hijacker deployment.
- Fake Web Sites — The criminals can craft web sites that impersonate vendor download pages, Internet portals or other sources from where the users can retrieve software.
- Site Scripts — Malicious web elements such as banners, pop-ups and in-text links, along with fake user account and spam messages can distribute scripts that can redirect the users to download pages that can trigger installation scripts.
- Infected Documents — The use of malicious documents can lead to the Searchesresult Hijacker infections. This is due to the fact that all popular types (rich text documents, spreadsheets, databases and presentations) can include macros and scripts that can deliver the threat. When opened a request to spawn them will be presented. If it is permitted then the infection will take place.
- Malware Application Installers — This tactic is similar to the documents one, but instead uses application setup files. The malicious actors will usually target software such as creativity suites, system utilities and etc. Whenever they are executed the hijacker will be installed.
File-Sharing Networks — They can be used to spread both legitimate and pirate content and as such are very popular with malware distribution.
However one of the most popular forms of delivery is through the upload of the hijackers directly to the relevant repositories of the web browsers. They feature promises of feature addition and performance optimizations, they also include fake user reviews and developer credentials.
Searchesresult Hijacker – In-Depth Description
While the main Searchesresult site may not be malicious in nature the hijacker related to it can lead to many dangerous situations. Browser hijackers like Searchesresult are notorious for being able to cause a wide range of issues according to the exact configuration of the samples in the designated campaigns. Each infection may present different conditions and effects, this is why if found the threat should be immediately removed.
In most cases the delivery method will include a browser plugin that will be installed by the victims. It will change the browser settings in order to redirect the victims to the predesigned hacker-controlled page. Values that are changed include the default home page, search engine and new tabs page. This means that every time the application is launched the users will see the Searchesresult Hijacker landing page.
The displayed page will show a standard search engine box displaying the option to search the Internet using the entered queries. However its use will invoke sponsored content and, in some cases, further malware infections. The development of such pages is usually related with insertion of tracking cookies which may be improved with the addition of data harvesting modules. These two modules can be used to harvest information that can be grouped into two main categories:
- Personal Information — This group of data can directly reveal the identity of the victim users due to the fact that the engine can scan for the strings related to their name, address, phone number and any stored account credentials.
- Machine Metrics — The engines can also create a report of the installed hardware components, operating system variables and user settings. The collected information is used to generate an unique infection ID which is assigned to every machine.
Some browser hijackers may also install themselves in a way which makes them very hard to remove, the so-called persistent infections. They will modify system options, configuration files, Windows Registry entries and boot options. Consequences of this may lead to performance issues either with the affected web browsers or the system as a whole.
During the interaction with the Searchesresult hijacker the users may be offered sponsored and ad content. The reason for this is because every user click and display generates a small income for the malicious operators. This is mainly done vi the search results box by pointing the visitors to pop-ups, banners, in-text links and ads landing pages.
Another dangerous consequence of having this installed would be the deployment of a Bitcoin Miner, the most popular type of cryptocurrency miners. This is a small script-based applications that is run from memory that will download resources-intensive mathematical tasks that are to be run from the infected hosts. The consumed resources will include all important parameters: CPU, GPU, memory and hard disk space.
When one of the assigned tasks is completed and reported to the relevant servers the malicious operators will be awarded cryptocurrency directly to their wallets.
The browser hijackers are often used as hybrid payload delivery devices. When they have infected a given computer and performed the necessary security bypass steps a Trojan delivery can be ordered. This component will allow the criminals to take over control of the infected hosts, spy on the victims and steal their data.
Other changes to the main Searchesresult Hijacker code can follow as every campaign my be different.
Remove SearchesresultBrowser Hijacker
To remove Searchesresult manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the hijacker redirect and its files completely, you should search for and remove any leftovers with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such a program can keep your computer safe in the future.