The article will help you to remove Search.schooldozer.com fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
The search.schooldozer.com redirect is a dangerous browser hijacker that has been uncovered in a recent attack campaign. It can be used to distribute virus payloads and cause various system changes to the infected hosts.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The hijacker redirect can alter the homepage, search engine and new tab on every browser application you have installed.|
|Symptoms||The homepage, new tab and search engine of all your browsers will be switched to Search.schooldozer.com. You will be redirected and could see sponsored content.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Search.schooldozer.com.|
Search.schooldozer.com – Distribution Methods
The Search.schooldozer.com redirect can be distributed using the popular methods. One of the usual tactics is the use of email spam messages that include various types of social engineering tricks in order to coerce the victims into interacting with the dangerous code. The hacker operators can either hyperlink the Search.schooldozer.com hijacker code to an off-site download host. In other cases the files can be directly attached to the messages. In many cases the operators take text and graphic images from well-known Internet sites and services. If the messages are masked as notifications, password resets or updates then it is very likely that a computer user might download the files. Emails are one of the most widely used carriers of virus payloads. They usually take one of these two forms:
- Software Bundles — The criminals take installers of well-known applications such as system utilities, creative solutions and even computer games and modify them to include the browser redirect code. In almost all cases the resulting infections are done automatically and there is no way of knowing in advance.
- Malware Documents — The criminals can embed the same infection engine into documents (spreadsheets, text files or presentations). Once they are opened a notification prompt is spawned that asks the users to enable the built-in code. Once this is done the Search.schooldozer.com redirect is delivered to the victim machines.
When the associated browser hijackers are spread on the plugin repositories the hackers use fake credentials and user reviews. Along with elaborate descriptions they are spread on the platforms of the most famous web browsers.
Search.schooldozer.com – Detailed Description
By itself the browser hijacker may not be malicious in nature, they can cause a lot of danger if are bundled with viruses or are programmed to cause system changes. In certain cases the Search.schooldozer.com redirect can be used as a means to deliver a secondary payload. When it comes to modifications to the operating system they are usually related to a persisten state of execution infection. If such are performed the victim users may find it nearly impossible to recover their browsers and computers using manual methods. An example technique is the manipulation of the Windows Registry. The Search.schooldozer.com redirect can create new entries or modify existing ones. If the engine impacts the entries of the operating service or user-installed applications, some of their features may be rendered non-working. Overall system performance can also be affected.
The redirect code can also institute boot changes. This can include the possibility to enter into the recovery menu. The engine can be invoked to automatically run once the system is booted.
The site itself is designed to look like a typical search engine. It uses a typical template and consists of the following components:
- Top Menu Bar — It can change the search type search to images, videos or news. A shopping button is also placed.
- Main Search Engine — It is the main interactive element of the site. We remind our users that all search queries may be customized to redirect the users to affiliate sites or virus instances.
- Type and version of your computer’s operating system
- IE browser version
- Hardware Devices
- Java resource availability
- .NET resources availability
- Public IP address
In addition the criminals can harvest personal information including the following: country/region, installed applications etc.
Remove Search.schooldozer.com Browser Hijacker
To remove Search.schooldozer.com manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions given below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the browser hijacker entirely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software helps keep your computer secure in the future.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Search.schooldozer.com from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Search.schooldozer.com from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Search.schooldozer.com from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Search.schooldozer.com from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Search.schooldozer.com from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Search.schooldozer.com from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Search.schooldozer.com from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Search.schooldozer.com from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Search.schooldozer.com
Step 2: Uninstall Search.schooldozer.com and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Search.schooldozer.com on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Search.schooldozer.com there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Search.schooldozer.com from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Search.schooldozer.com and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Search.schooldozer.com via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Search.schooldozer.com from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Search.schooldozer.com from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Search.schooldozer.com from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Search.schooldozer.com from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Search.schooldozer.com will be removed.
Eliminate Search.schooldozer.com from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.