The article will help you to remove Search.schooldozer.com fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
The search.schooldozer.com redirect is a dangerous browser hijacker that has been uncovered in a recent attack campaign. It can be used to distribute virus payloads and cause various system changes to the infected hosts.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The hijacker redirect can alter the homepage, search engine and new tab on every browser application you have installed.|
|Symptoms||The homepage, new tab and search engine of all your browsers will be switched to Search.schooldozer.com. You will be redirected and could see sponsored content.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Search.schooldozer.com |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Search.schooldozer.com.|
Search.schooldozer.com – Distribution Methods
The Search.schooldozer.com redirect can be distributed using the popular methods. One of the usual tactics is the use of email spam messages that include various types of social engineering tricks in order to coerce the victims into interacting with the dangerous code. The hacker operators can either hyperlink the Search.schooldozer.com hijacker code to an off-site download host. In other cases the files can be directly attached to the messages. In many cases the operators take text and graphic images from well-known Internet sites and services. If the messages are masked as notifications, password resets or updates then it is very likely that a computer user might download the files. Emails are one of the most widely used carriers of virus payloads. They usually take one of these two forms:
- Software Bundles — The criminals take installers of well-known applications such as system utilities, creative solutions and even computer games and modify them to include the browser redirect code. In almost all cases the resulting infections are done automatically and there is no way of knowing in advance.
- Malware Documents — The criminals can embed the same infection engine into documents (spreadsheets, text files or presentations). Once they are opened a notification prompt is spawned that asks the users to enable the built-in code. Once this is done the Search.schooldozer.com redirect is delivered to the victim machines.
When the associated browser hijackers are spread on the plugin repositories the hackers use fake credentials and user reviews. Along with elaborate descriptions they are spread on the platforms of the most famous web browsers.
Search.schooldozer.com – Detailed Description
By itself the browser hijacker may not be malicious in nature, they can cause a lot of danger if are bundled with viruses or are programmed to cause system changes. In certain cases the Search.schooldozer.com redirect can be used as a means to deliver a secondary payload. When it comes to modifications to the operating system they are usually related to a persisten state of execution infection. If such are performed the victim users may find it nearly impossible to recover their browsers and computers using manual methods. An example technique is the manipulation of the Windows Registry. The Search.schooldozer.com redirect can create new entries or modify existing ones. If the engine impacts the entries of the operating service or user-installed applications, some of their features may be rendered non-working. Overall system performance can also be affected.
The redirect code can also institute boot changes. This can include the possibility to enter into the recovery menu. The engine can be invoked to automatically run once the system is booted.
The site itself is designed to look like a typical search engine. It uses a typical template and consists of the following components:
- Top Menu Bar — It can change the search type search to images, videos or news. A shopping button is also placed.
- Main Search Engine — It is the main interactive element of the site. We remind our users that all search queries may be customized to redirect the users to affiliate sites or virus instances.
- Type and version of your computer’s operating system
- IE browser version
- Hardware Devices
- Java resource availability
- .NET resources availability
- Public IP address
In addition the criminals can harvest personal information including the following: country/region, installed applications etc.
Remove Search.schooldozer.com Browser Hijacker
To remove Search.schooldozer.com manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions given below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the browser hijacker entirely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software helps keep your computer secure in the future.