The article will help you to remove FunSocialTabSearch fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
The FunSocialTabSearch is made by IMALI – N.I. MEDIA LTD., a company well-known for creating whole networks of threats. This particular redirect seems to be made in order to promote a web service. Read more about it in our detailed overview below.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The FunSocialTabSearch browser hijacker represents a malicious web browser plugin that is used to redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled page.|
|Symptoms||The homepage, new tab and search engine of all your browsers will be changed to FunSocialTabSearch. In addition viruses and other malware can be installed during the initiation process.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by FunSocialTabSearch |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss FunSocialTabSearch.|
FunSocialTabSearch – Distribution Ways
The FunSocialTabSearch redirect is a classic case of a browser hijacker that can be deployed usign various tactics. А popular way of distributing samples associated with the threat is the use of spam email messages. They are sent in bulk to various users and utilize various social engineering schemes that attempt to coerce the victims into installing it. Malware tactics seek out to send hyperlinks that lead to the strains associated with the browser hijacker. The other method is to directly deliver file attachments to the messages however this is often associated with a lower overall infection ratio. The malware operators frequently use text and graphics taken from well-known Internet services in an attempt to impersonate them. In connection with this strategy there are many cases where hijackers use payload droppers such as the following:
- Software Installers — The FunSocialTabSearch redirect code can be inserted into application installers. The hackers typically download the executables from the official vendor sites and modify them to include the dangerous code. Usually popular targets are chosen: system utilities, creativity suites and games.
- Documents — The computer hackers can embed the dangerous code into files of various types including rich text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once they are opened by the criminals a notification prompt appears which asks the users to enable the built-in scripts (macros). When this is done the virus is downloaded from a remote location and executed on the local machine.
Redirects are also frequently added to the software repositories used by the major browsers. The strains are usually uploaded using fake developer credentials, user reviews and an elaborate description.
In addition to these practices the malware can be delivered using various web scripts: banners, pop-ups and in-text links. In many cases they can be found on legitimate services as well such as forums and chat rooms.
FunSocialTabSearch – In-Depth Information
Once the FunSocialTabSearch redirect infection has infiltrated the target computer it will start to institute several tracking technologies and system changes.
Threats like this one are also used in order to additional threats The redirects serve as a complex mechanism that can evade certain security measures. Advanced copies of the FunSocialTabSearch redirect can potenetially be embedded with protective countermeasures against discovery. This is done by scanning for installed applications that can interfere with its execution such as anti-virus products, intrusion detection systems and etc. In certain cases the malware can be programmed into deleting itself to avoid detection.
The next step is usually the settings modifications, the virus engine makes the web browser redirect to a hacker-controlled page. Affected values are the default home page, new tabs page and search engine.
Some browser redirects can also lead to system-wide changes that are similar to the effects of standalone computer viruses. Examples include the following areas:
- Boot Options — The malware contained in the FunSocialTabSearch redirect can be potentially programmed into removing the ability to access the recovery menu.
- Windows Registry — Changes to the operating system registry entries can make certain applications or services irresponsible. Overall system performance can be impacted as well.
- Malware Delivery — The criminal controllers can deploy a variety of threats to the infected systems.
- Trojan Code — The malware redirect can connect to a hacker-controlled site and receive instructions directly from the criminals. As a consequence the local machines can be spied upon in real time and control can be overtaken on request.
- Information you provide
And even though the FunSocialTabSearch redirect primarily hijacks data through the cookies and web tracking technologies placed on the sites, the criminals can include an application-based information harvesting engine. The extracted data is usually classified into two categories:
- Private Data — The obtained information is used in order to expose the victims identity. It consists of values such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, location data, passwords and account credentials.
- Anonymous Data — This type of data is mainly used by the criminals to judge how effective their campaign is. Examples data includes the installed hardware components and certain operating system values.
The main homepage is made up of several components:
- Top Menu Bar — It contains a search engine that is customized to include the site’s branding.
- Main Search Engine — It shows a search engine with hyperlinks to various popular service placed underneath the box.
One of the reasons for the creation of this particular threats seems to be affiliate sites linking. If the victims navigate to the Free Games link placed on the top menu bar they will be redirected to a sponsor site that is made by a partner or the same company.
Caution must be taken when the uses interact with any of the hyperlinks that lead to Internet services. All entered credentials may be hijacked by the operators. Redirects such as FunSocialTabSearch can be used to lead to phishing sites.
- Type of browser, including your default browser;
- Operating system your device uses;
- Language preference;
- The ways in which you use various features of the Browsing Product, your time of access and the domain name of the website from which you linked to the Browsing Products;
- We also may periodically collect usage statistics from users that describe the frequency of use of each feature;
- When you use Browsing Product, the searches you perform using our domains, for example: we may collect information about page views, impressions and clicks, as well as similar web usage information on our domains and IP Address;
- please note, we consider IP address data to be Non-Personal Information, however, in some countries and jurisdictions this data might be considered as identifying and “Personal Information”.
Remove FunSocialTabSearch Redirect
To remove FunSocialTabSearch manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions given below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the browser hijacker entirely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software helps keep your computer secure in the future.
Note! Your computer system may be affected by FunSocialTabSearch or other threats.
Scan Your PC with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a powerful malware removal tool designed to help users with in-depth system security analysis, detection and removal of threats such as FunSocialTabSearch.