Computer security experts uncovered a new ongoing attack campaign using the SlikDealer New Tab redirect as primary payload. The browser hijacker modifies essential settings on the most popular web applications and as a result redirects the users to a hacker-controlled page. As a result additional threats can be installed and the extracted private data can be abused.
|Name||SlikDealer New Tab|
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Upon installation the malware code modifies the web browser settings to point to a hacker-controlled page.|
|Symptoms||Modified browser settings such as the homepage, default search engine and the new tab page.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss SlikDealer New Tab.|
SlikDealer New Tab – Distribution
The SlikDealer New Tab redirect is a recently confirmed malware that is being distributed using several types of tactics. The hackers use the most popular strategies in order to maximize the infection ratio.
One of the observed attack campaigns uses fake browser plugins that contain the SlikDealer New Tab redirect code. They are also known as browser hijackers and are made compatible with the most popular applications. The instances are spread on the official software extension repositories and utilize counterfeit developer identities and user reviews.
Another mechanism that is employed is the coordination of spam email messages. Depending on the targets and the attack campaign there are several ways of configuring them:
- File Attachments — The malware files can be directly embedded in the messages. The employed social engineering techniques blackmail the users into interacting with the malware component.
- Hyperlinks — They link to off-site hosted versions of the SlikDealer New Tab redirect. In certain cases the files can be placed in archives which require further user interaction.
- Infected Documents — The criminals can bundle the malware code into documents of different types such as rich text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once they are opened a notification message appears that sks the victims to execute the built-in macros. If this is done the infection follows.
- Malware Installers — The criminals can embed the dangerous code into setup files downloaded from the official vendors. They are then distributed over email messages and hacker-created pages posing as the legitimate fles.
The SlikDealer New Tab redirect files can also be placed as part of hacker-controlled pages. A variation of this tactic is the use of web scripts — banners, ads and pop-ups.
SlikDealer New Tab – Information
The majority of reported infections seem to follow the standard behavior associated with this type of malware. The virus engine is compatible with the most popular web browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari and Microsoft Edge. Once the infections have been made the engine changes the following settings in order to redirect the victims to a hacker-controlled page: default home page, search engine. As a result the next time the users open up their browsers they will stumble upon the hacker-made home page.
Upon first visit the page institutes tracking cookies that start to gather sensitive data from the victims and the system itself. Most analysts consider this privacy-intrusive and a serious security risk. There are two main types of data:
- Anonymous Data — The malware engine can create a profile of the compromised system that includes hardware information and operating system configuration. It is used to judge how effective the the campaign is by the operators.
- Personally-Identifiable Information — The malware engine can harvest sensitive information from the target computers. It is programmed to look out for strings of data that can directly expose the identity of the victims.
One of the main goals of the hackers is to institute tracking cookies that generate a profile of the victims. The infections can also be programmed to cause other malware actions to the victim systems. An example is the installation of additional malware. Trojans can spy on the victims and take over control of the machines at any given time. Ransomware can encrypt sensitive files and request a ransomware payment using blackmail tactics.
Another consequence of the infection can attempt to modify the Windows registry and cause a persistent state of execution. This makes it difficult to remove using manual methods. As a result the victims may face severe performance issues or application failure.
The computer users should know that any interaction with the browser hijacker only fuels the hacker-controlled database with more information. When the users interact with the search engine their search queries are sent to the operators. In return they can be fed sponsored and ad pages or redirected to phishing sites. This is especially dangerous as computer users frequently utilize social networks and online banking services. If they are redirected to fake pages the operators can acquire their account credentials. Such abuse can lead to crimes such as identity theft and financial abuse.
Another consequence of the malware installation is the use of affiliate links. They are usually inserted when the users click on any shopping-related links. Every time they buy a product online a small commission goes out to the hacker operators. In a similar way the victims can be redirected to various scam sites.
It lists some of the types of information that is being gathered automatically via the web technologies and the tracking cookies:
- Operating System Details.
- Browser Type and Version.
- All Site Interactions.
- E-commerce sites Activity.
- User Identity Information (Name, Pseudonyms, Preferences, Location).
- Contact Information (Email address, Telephone number and etc.).
We remind our victims that all collected data can be shared with third parties. In cases where the user are redirected to partner sites all collected data pooled into the database can be traded or sold to marketing agencies. Larger site can utilize the gained information in order to send out sponsored ads, personalized content to their emails or even contact the victims over the phone.
One of the consequences of having access to such data is the possibility of creating extremely efficient phishing scams and personalized ransomware messages.
Remove SlikDealer New Tab Redirect
To remove SlikDealer New Tab manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the hijacker redirect and its files completely, you should search for and remove any leftovers with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such a program can keep your computer safe in the future.
- Guide 1: How to Remove SlikDealer New Tab from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of SlikDealer New Tab from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove SlikDealer New Tab from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase SlikDealer New Tab from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall SlikDealer New Tab from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove SlikDealer New Tab from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate SlikDealer New Tab from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove SlikDealer New Tab from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove SlikDealer New Tab
Step 2: Uninstall SlikDealer New Tab and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by SlikDealer New Tab on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by SlikDealer New Tab there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of SlikDealer New Tab from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall SlikDealer New Tab and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove SlikDealer New Tab via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove SlikDealer New Tab files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as SlikDealer New Tab, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove SlikDealer New Tab from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase SlikDealer New Tab from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall SlikDealer New Tab from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove SlikDealer New Tab from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the SlikDealer New Tab will be removed.
Eliminate SlikDealer New Tab from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.