The article will help you to remove PDF Convert Tab fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
The PDF Convert Tab redirect is a recently discovered browser plugin that can be used for hijacker purposes. Interaction with it can hijack personal data belonging to the victims. Our in-depth article explores some of the dangers associated with its presence on infected hosts.
|Name||PDF Convert Tab|
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The hijacker redirect can alter the homepage, search engine and new tab on every browser application you have installed.|
|Symptoms||The homepage, new tab and search engine of all your browsers will be switched to PDF Convert Tab. You will be redirected and could see sponsored content.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss PDF Convert Tab.|
PDF Convert Tab – Distribution Methods
PDF Convert Tab is a standard browser hijacker and web site redirect that is being distributed using the commonly available methods. Like other similar threats it uses several different mechanisms at once to increase the number of infected clients.
At the moment the most noteworthy distribution tactic is its installation from the browser plugin repositories.It is made compatible with the most popular applications and the relevant pages use elaborate descriptions together with fake developer credentials and user reviews.
The hackers behind the PDF Convert Tab redirect can create email SPAM messages that are sent in bulk to the respective users. The messages are composed using social engineering techniques that blackmail, persuade or coerce the users into interacting with the malicious elements. They also serve as one of the primary sources of infected payloads. They are also found on fake download sites that are made with the same templates that are used on the famous Internet portals. Two of the most popular types are the following:
- Software Installers — The criminals can take the legitimate installers of widely used applications and embed the dangerous virus code into them. Usual targets are system utilities, creativity suites, productivity programs and etc.
- Documents — The same technique is used to infect documents of different types: spreadsheets, text files, presentations and databases. Once they are opened by the victims a notification prompt appears that asks the victims to enable the built-in scripts (macros). Once this is done the virus infection follows.
The hacker operators can spread the PDF Convert Tab redirect using malicious web scripts such as pop-ups, banners, redirects, in-line hyperlinks and etc.
PDF Convert Tab – Detailed Description
The PDF Convert Tab redirect is mainly delivered using a browser hijacker which presents several web browser changes. As the infections stems from the hijacker, it can instantly access all stored contents within: cookies, bookmarks, history, passwords, settings and etc. Once the threat is installed on the client machines it will change the default settings to point to the hacker-controlled site: default home page, new tabs page and search engine.
Depending on the exact configuration of the threat and its intended targets it can cause different effects on the machines. In many cases this includes the Windows Registry where the redirect can target both entries belonging to the operating system or the user-installed applications. When the Windows registry is changed overall performance can suffer while changes to the individual application strings can result in the disruption of certain functions.
The active PDF Convert Tab redirect can also be used to execute a hacker-controlled server connection. It leads to a Trojan-like infection where the criminal operators can spy on the victims in real time, as well as take over control of the machines. This can be used to install additional threats to the victim hosts as well.
Once the hijacker is installed on the victim browsers it will instantly redirect the users to the target site. Similar redirects like this one usually contain a pre-generated list of addresses that are placed in its engine.
When the associated web browser is started for the first time an information gathering module is started. It is able to harvest sensitive data from the target computers which is grouped into two main categories:
- Privacy-Invasive Data — The engine is configured to harvest strings that can directly expose the identity of the victims: their name address, location, interests, telephone number, passwords and etc.
- Campaign Metrics — The engine can be configured to extract information that can optimize the distribution campaigns. Example data includes the a complete profile of the installed hardware components.
The browser redirect shows a typical search engine template that includes options for converting files to PDF using a third party service. It is devised of several elements:
- Top Menu Bar — It includes a search engine box that uses the same engine as the main one placed in the center.
- Main Search Engine — It is the main interactive element of the page. It aims to attact the redirected users into using it.
An example is the collection of the following data:
- Social Media Accounts & Usage — Whenever a social media service is accessed through the relevant browser hijacker the user data can be accessed by the service as well.
- Email Data — If the PDF Convert Tab redirect links the users to an affiliate email service all of the inbox contents can be made accessible to them.
- Other Sites Interactions — The tracking cookies can give the operators an overview of the victim’s usage of all web sites, not just the ones that they directly control.
- Sensitive Data — This includes metrics associated with the victims themselves — data that can be directly expose their identity such as their name, address, telephone number and etc.
Remove PDF Convert Tab Browser Hijacker
To remove PDF Convert Tab manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions given below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the browser hijacker entirely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software helps keep your computer secure in the future. We remind our readers that certain hijackers (most likely this one as well) are configured to harvest the information to a database shared with other similar threats.
- Guide 1: How to Remove PDF Convert Tab from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of PDF Convert Tab on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove PDF Convert Tab in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase PDF Convert Tab from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall PDF Convert Tab from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove PDF Convert Tab from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate PDF Convert Tab from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable PDF Convert Tab Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove PDF Convert Tab from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove PDF Convert Tab
Step 2: Uninstall PDF Convert Tab and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by PDF Convert Tab on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by PDF Convert Tab there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of PDF Convert Tab from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall PDF Convert Tab and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove PDF Convert Tab via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove PDF Convert Tab files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as PDF Convert Tab, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove PDF Convert Tab from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase PDF Convert Tab from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall PDF Convert Tab from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove PDF Convert Tab from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the PDF Convert Tab will be removed.
Eliminate PDF Convert Tab from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by PDF Convert Tab from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".