If you want to get rid of ElementaryOptimizer app on Mac, then make sure to follow the steps in this removal guide article. The steps presented below can help you remove the unwanted program and strengthen the security of your macOS.
ElementaryOptimizer Mac Adware
ElementaryOptimizer Mac Adware as a malware for Mac computers can infect target victims via different strategies. This will depend on the target users and the preferences set by the hacking group. The collected samples are not many which shows that this may be a test release campaign.
In this article, we will reveal a few more issues that occur when ElementaryOptimizer adware is started on a Mac system as well as efficient ways to remove all present harmful files.
|Short Description||A questionable application that hijacks Mac systems and popular browsers like Safari and Chrome installed on them. Performs browser modifications without your knowledge.|
|Symptoms||Browser slowdowns may occur due to increased number of online ads. The program may start every time you start the affected Mac.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss ElementaryOptimizer.|
Issues Caused by ElementaryOptimizer Adware on Mac
The ElementaryOptimizer Adware is a Mac virus which can be delivered to the target users using common delivery tactics. At this moment not a lot of samples have been captured which means that the initial campaign may be very small compared to other malware of this category.
Infections like this one are commonly done by inserting the relevant code in dangerous browser extensions — they can be fake copies of legitimate and useful plugins. They can be advertised on the repositories with fake or stolen developer credentials and with relevant user reviews and descriptions.
An alternative way to spread the Mac malware will be to insert the virus code in payload carriers — common data that can lead to the malware installation can be macro-infected documents and setup bundles> of well-known applications. The documents are specifically chosen to represent the most widely used file formats by end users: presentations, databases, text documents and spreadsheets. When opened the users will be prompted to enable the scripts, this will trigger the infection. The application installers will be of popular applications which are commonly installed: productivity tools, system utilities and creativity suites, in some cases even computer games.
All virus related data can be then shared on file-sharing networks (like BitTorrent) or for example online communities like social networks, forums and chat rooms.
Once the ElementaryOptimizer Adware on Mac has been installed a built–in malicious sequence will be started. Depending on the chosen configuration some modules may be started while others may be added in future campaigns. An example sequence is the following:
- Operating System and Application Settings — The adware module can modify essential settings and set itself as a persistent threat — this means that the engine will automatically start once the computer is powered on. If settings of user-installed applications are changed then the users can experience data loss, errors and performance problems.
- Redirect Pages Display — Most similar malware will change the default options of the installed web browsers to display phishing or scam pages. They can present phishing prompts or intrusive advertising.
- Viruses Installation — Additional malware can be delivered by having an active ElementaryOptimizer Adware on Mac infection. This includes common examples such as Trojan horse infections which will take over control of the machines and steal files, ransomware that will encrypt files and then extort the victims for decryption or the popular web-based miners that will abuse the computing power of the hosts.
Active infections should be removed as fast as possible to prevent further damage.
Remove ElementaryOptimizer Mac Adware
In order to remove the ElementaryOptimizer adware program along with all entries it has created on the system, you should complete several removal steps in a precise order. The guide below presents you manual and automatic removal approach. In order to fully get rid of files installed by undesired programs and strengthen macOS security, we recommend that you combine the steps. Some of the files associated with the adware cannot be removed manually except you are an experienced computer user. So the manual adware removal might be quite a complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. If you don’t feel comfortable with the manual steps, navigate to the automatic removal and get rid of ElementaryOptimizer adware with the help of advanced anti-malware tool.
In case you have further questions or need additional help with the removal process, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall ElementaryOptimizer and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove ElementaryOptimizer via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove ElementaryOptimizer – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove ElementaryOptimizer files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as ElementaryOptimizer, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.