The Freexbox.info redirect is a web browser hijacker and dangerous site which are currently distributed in an active attack campaign. As most of the infections happen through the web browsers as soon as the virus is deployed it can change the settings of the programs. Malicious actions such as data harvesting and the execution of malicious actions can take place. Our guide shows how users can effectively attempt to remove any active infections.
|Short Description||Freexbox.info is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Freexbox.info redirect |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Freexbox.info redirect.|
Freexbox.info — HOW Did I Get It
The Freexbox.info redirect is a recently reported threat that is currently being sent in a global attack against end users. The redirect is delivered to the intended targets via all kinds of strategies. One of the most popular ones is the sending out numerous phishing emails in a SPAM-like manner, both in content and quantity. These are notifications that are designed to imitate popular web sites and their commonly sent out messages. They aim to persuade the recipients into thinking that they have received a real message. If the users click on the shown contents the Freexbox.info redirect installation script will be started.
The redirect can be installed by clicking on phishing web sites which copy well-known Internet portals, company pages and etc. IN them they will place the infection code which can run in the background. These sites are hosted on similar sounding domain names and can even include “safe elements” like self-signed security certificates.
Freexbox.info redirect infections may be caused by opening various file carriers. Two of the most popular types include the following:
- Macro-Infected Documents — The criminals can embed the necessary code as macros in documents across all popular file types. They are to start automatically as soon as the command is given. The Freexbox.info redirect can be found within all popular formats: presentations, databases, spreadsheets and text files.
- Infected Software Installers — The Freexbox.info redirect code can be integrated in setup packages of popular software. Commonly the hackers will infect programs such as the following: creativity suites, system utilities, productivity apps and even computer games.
One of the most common ways to get infected with this threat is to download and install malicious browser plugins, otherwise known as “hijackers”. They are commonly uploaded to their respective repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials. The posted descriptions will promise new features addition or performance optimizations.
Freexbox.info – What Does It DO
As soon as the Freexbox.info redirect infection has been deployed it will start sequence of built-in modules. One of the first components which is started is the data collection module. It will scan the victim system and extract detailed information about the users and their machines. This is done by searching for specific strings based on a predefined pattern. The gathered data sets can be used for identity theft and other crimes.
The infection engine based on the gathered information may scan the system for any security software that prevent the proper Freexbox.info execution. This includes engines of anti-virus programs, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual machine hosts and etc. They can be bypassed or entirely removed depending on the specific hacker instructions.
Following the successful intrusion of the threat the threat can make changes to the boot options. If this is done the malware will be started every time the computer is powered on. In some cases it can even block access to the recovery boot options, this makes following most manual user removal guides useless as they depend on them.
Any other malicious components will be launched as intended by the hackers. Some of the more complex redirect samples are known to cause Windows Registry changes by creating new ones specifically for the redirect or modifying existing ones. As a result the users may experience severe performance issues, data loss and unexpected errors.
Most of the browser hijackers of this type will modify the settings of the installed web browsers in order to redirect them to a certain hacker-controlled site or specific contents. There are several possible consequences:
- Adware Presentation — For every displayed or clicked on ad the hackers will receive income.
- Cryptocurrency Miners — These are dangerous small-sized scripts which will download a sequence of mathematical tasks. They will place a heavy toll on the performance of the computers and the core components of the systems: the CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. For every reported sample back to the operators the criminals will receive cryptocurrency in compensation which will be directly transferred to their digital wallets.
- Additional Malware Delivery — Other viruses can also be spread to the victims by using the Freexbox.info redirect as conduit.
- Users Tracking — As soon as the dangerous site is visited tracking cookies and other technologies which aim to create a complete profile of the victims. This information can be stored in large databases that can group the data from various redirects. It can later be sold to interested parties or uploaded to the dark web for further criminal use.
How to REMOVE Freexbox.info
The removal of Freexbox.info may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of Freexbox.info are fully gone from your PC.