The Portal.score-stars.com redirect is a dangerous malware which is found both within the malware home page and the hijackers that direct to it. The criminals behind it usually create malicious web browser plugins which will change the settings of programs in order to always show the web page. When they are first visited by the users tracking cookies which will spy on the victims behavior at all time.
Other ways that the Portal.score-stars.com redirect infection can be acquired is to download and interact with a malware payload. This can be a document which has embedded virus macros or a hacker-modified application setup file. They can often be found on file sharing networks (like BitTorrent) where legitimate and pirate data is often spread.
The site itself may be designed to appear like a safe internet portal or search engine. It can display intrusive ads which can be pushed via banners, pop-ups and other forms. They can also be used to spread malware threats like cryptocurrency miner, Trojans and ransomware.
Common infections which can be produced by interaction with the site include the following:
- Miners — These are malicious scripts that will take advantage of the available system resources in order to compute complex cryptocurrency tasks. For every completed assignment the hackers the operators will receive income directly into their digital wallets.
- Trojans — They will establish a secure and stable connection to a hacker-controlled site which will allow the operators to spy on the victims and steal their files.
- Ransomware — These are dangerous viruses which will encrypt user data according to a built-in cipher. The files will be inaccessible and a ransomware note will be crafted which will blackmail the users into paying the hackers a decryption fee.
|Short Description||Portal.score-stars.com is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Portal.score-stars.com |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Portal.score-stars.com.|
Portal.score-stars.com – HOW Did I Get It
The Portal.score-stars.com redirect is a common web infection which is commonly found across Internet browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins which are made compatible with the most popular software. Another possible source of infections is the installation of PUPs which are potentially unwanted software. They are designed to appear as legitimate software however upon running them the redirect files will be placed in the victim’s computer and started.
Beware of phishing emails that may pose as legitimate services and attempt to coerce the victims into interacting with them which will eventually lead to a redirect installation.
Such redirects can be spread via malicious sites that aim to persuade the visitors into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate and safe web page. They are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and may include forged or stolen security certificates.
Various payload delivery methods can be used to spread the Portal.score-stars.com redirect to the intended victims. There are two main types:
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the necessary scrips that will lead to the infection in the most common document file types: presentations, spreadsheets, text documents and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will ask for permissions to run them. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to view the contents of the files.
- Malware Software Bundles — The criminals behind the Portal.score-stars.com redirect can place the installation code in application installers of popular software. They are spread using various methods and are very difficult to detect.
The redirect related files can be spread via file sharing networks of which BitTorrent is currently the most popular one. Another frequently used method is the integration of the relevant code into browser hijackers which are malicious extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are posted with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to coerce the visitors into downloading and installing them.
Portal.score-stars.com – What Does It DO
The Portal.score-stars.com is a classic browser-based redirect which will redirect the victims to this hacker-controlled page every time the web browser is run. This can lead to dangerous behavior as soon as the users start to interact with the site:
- Tracking of their Internet activity
- Advertising content such as pop-ups, banners, text links and etc
- Deployment of other malicious infections: Trojans, ransomware and etc
Such redirects are very useful for launching cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available hardware resources in order to generate cryptocurrency for the hackers.
One of the most dangerous effects of having this redirect active is that it can automatically track the users and their web activity. Having access to the web browser means that the active malware will be able to hijack all stored data within: cookies, history, bookmarks, settings and even stored account credentials. All hijacked data will be automatically uploaded to the servers operated by the hackers.
How to REMOVE Portal.score-stars.com
The removal of Portal.score-stars.com may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of Portal.score-stars.com are fully gone from your PC.