The article will help you to remove Search.sleepshadow.com fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
The Search.sleepshadow.com redirect is a recently discovered browser plugin that can be used for hijacker purposes. Interaction with it can hijack personal data belonging to the victims. Our in-depth article explores some of the dangers associated with its presence on infected hosts.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The hijacker redirect can alter the homepage, search engine and new tab on every browser application you have installed.|
|Symptoms||The homepage, new tab and search engine of all your browsers will be switched to Search.sleepshadow.com. You will be redirected and could see sponsored content.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Search.sleepshadow.com.|
Search.sleepshadow.com – Distribution Methods
The Search.sleepshadow.com redirect is being distributed using the most common infection methods. As a typical hijacker it seeks to use several different tactics at once in order to increase the number of affected users.
A primary method is the coordination of mass SPAM email campaigns. The messages themselves are designed with social engineering elements that feature design, text and graphics taken from well-known Internet portals and sites. Upon receiving them the targets may not know that they are hostile and interact with the elements contained within. The virus files can be either hyperlinked or attached directly to them. Along with the counterfeit download pages they are the main methods for distributing infected payloads of which there are two main types:
- Documents — The Search.sleepshadow.com redirect code can be inserted into files of different types: text documents, presentations, spreadsheets and databases. Once the documents are opened by the victims a notification message will appear on the screen asking them to enable the built-in code. When this is done the hijacker infection will begin.
- Application Installers — The browser redirect code can be installed via infected software setup packages. They are made by taking the legitimate installers from the official vendors and modifying them with the malicious code. The criminals usually choose popular applications such as system utilities, creativity apps and productivity solutions.
Another infection strategy used to distribute the Search.sleepshadow.com redirect is to spread the strains is the upload of numerous plugins to the web browser repositories. This tactic usually makes use of fake developer credentials and user reviews.
Search.sleepshadow.com – Detailed Description
The Search.sleepshadow.com redirect can perform a variety of actions depending on the prescribed behavior patterns. Usually one of the first modules that are executed is the browser manipulation one. It changes the default home page, search engine and new tabs page to point to a hacker-operated address.
The next time the users open up their browser they will be redirected to the respective page. Once the site is accessed for the first time various tracking technologies will be installed and enabled on their browsers – from cookies to tracking beacons.
Depending on the configuration of the strains they can also cause different operating system wide changes. An obvious start would be the manipulation of Windows Registry entries which can make running certain functions and services non-working – both for the operating system and the user-installed applications. An additional effect of such changes is the detrimental overall system performance which is one of the most important signs of virus infections.
As the Search.sleepshadow.com redirect practically infects the users through their browsers it gets access to all stored data: bookmarks, history, cookies, settings and accounts. If an additional data harvesting engine is enabled then it can scan the system for information that can be classified into one of these two groups:
- Private User Data — The hacker operators can instruct the malicious engine into looking for strings that can reveal information that can directly reveal the victim’s identity — their name, address, phone number, interests, location and stored account credentials.
- Campaign Optimization Metrics — The engine can hijack information that can be used to optimize the distribution campaigns. It is typically made up of certain operating system values, regional settings and a list of the installed hardware components.
In certain situations some of the hijackers that are modeled to carry a Trojan module . It connects to a hacker-controlled server which allows the operators to spy on the victims in real time, as well as overtake control of the affected hosts. It is also capable of spreading additional threats to the hosts.
The malicious site itself is designed to look like any legitimate web search engine. It incorporates all typical elements of such a service and is made up of the following main components:
- Top Menu Bar — The top menu bar is used between the various search type options.
- Search Engine Box — This is the main interactive element of the hijacker site which is modeled to make people interact with it.
We remind our readers that all users affected by the hijacker instance may be redirected to other hacker-controlled pages. The search engine is a customized version which may be programmed to deliver mainly sponsored links instead of the best possible results. In certain cases this can also led to various virus infections.
- Technical information — The type and version of your computer’s operating system, IE browser version and installed hardware, Java resource availability .NET resources availability and your C-Class IP address.
- Software Availability — The code can verify if the installed Software and Additional Software are compatible with your computer; by determining which Additional Software and what version should be offered to the users and installed.
- Personal Information — User name, email address, telephone etc.
- Installation Process Log Data — This includes data about the installation process: success/failure, duration, malfunctions, errors, etc.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Search.sleepshadow.com from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Search.sleepshadow.com from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Search.sleepshadow.com from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Search.sleepshadow.com from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Search.sleepshadow.com from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Search.sleepshadow.com from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Search.sleepshadow.com from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Search.sleepshadow.com from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Search.sleepshadow.com
Step 2: Uninstall Search.sleepshadow.com and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Search.sleepshadow.com on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Search.sleepshadow.com there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Search.sleepshadow.com from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Search.sleepshadow.com and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Search.sleepshadow.com via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Search.sleepshadow.com from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Search.sleepshadow.com from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Search.sleepshadow.com from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Search.sleepshadow.com from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Search.sleepshadow.com will be removed.
Eliminate Search.sleepshadow.com from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.