The S2.video.ru.net redirect is a newly discovered threat which is being spread by an unknown hacker collective. So far there is no information about the identity of the hackers and their level of expertise. It might be a singular attack campaign or part of a wider plan that is currently being executed. Like most other malware of its category it can be spread using a wide range of tactics. The main ones are the set up of malicious web sites that appear as legitimate portals, download pages, search engines and product landing pages. Interaction with the site or simply entering it can redirect the victims to a download page or initiating the infection process. The other popular mechanism is to upload plugins to the relevant repositories. They are often placed there with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Additional methods can be used by the developers such as infected application installers, malware documents and upload of the relevant files to peer-to-peer networks like BitTorrent.
S2.video.ru.net redirect will start its intended malware code as soon as it has been deployed to the virus files. In the typical case it will alter the settings of the installed browsers in order to always point the victims to a preset page. The default settings which are modified include the home page, search engine and new tabs page.
Interaction with the site can lead to various malicious events including the following:
- Tracking Cookies Installation — As soon as the site is loaded in the browsers various tracking cookies can be deployed to the victim machines. They will monitor how the users interact with the site and report on their actions to the hackers.
- Additional Malware Deployment — By being redirected to the malware created pages can lead to various infections including cryptocurrency miners, ransomware and Trojans. They can be done by either clicking on links or interacting with various web elements — text links, pop-ups, banners and etc.
- Intrusive Advertising — The S2.video.ru.net redirect can be used to display sites containing intrusive advertising. For each view or click the operators will receive a small income fee.
The redirect page to which the visitors are sent to can dynamically change depending on various conditions. This means that in an instant all of the dangerous actions that have been undertaken in a prior moment. This also allows for a given attack campaign to shift during its execution.
|Short Description||S2.video.ru.net is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss S2.video.ru.net redirect.|
S2.video.ru.net – HOW Did I Get It
The S2.video.ru.net redirect is a common web infection which is commonly found across Internet browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins which are made compatible with the most popular software. Another possible source of infections is the installation of PUPs which are potentially unwanted software. They are designed to appear as legitimate software however upon running them the redirect files will be placed in the victim’s computer and started.
Beware of phishing emails that may pose as legitimate services and attempt to coerce the victims into interacting with them which will eventually lead to a redirect installation.
Such redirects can be spread via malicious sites that aim to persuade the visitors into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate and safe web page. They are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and may include forged or stolen security certificates.
Various payload delivery methods can be used to spread the S2.video.ru.net redirect to the intended victims. There are two main types:
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the necessary scrips that will lead to the infection in the most common document file types: presentations, spreadsheets, text documents and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will ask for permissions to run them. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to view the contents of the files.
- Malware Software Bundles — The criminals behind the S2.video.ru.net redirect can place the installation code in application installers of popular software. They are spread using various methods and are very difficult to detect.
The redirect related files can be spread via file sharing networks of which BitTorrent is currently the most popular one. Another frequently used method is the integration of the relevant code into browser hijackers which are malicious extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are posted with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to coerce the visitors into downloading and installing them.
S2.video.ru.net – What Does It DO
The S2.video.ru.net is a classic browser-based redirect which will redirect the victims to this hacker-controlled page every time the web browser is run. This can lead to dangerous behavior as soon as the users start to interact with the site:
- Tracking of their Internet activity
- Advertising content such as pop-ups, banners, text links and etc
- Deployment of other malicious infections: Trojans, ransomware and etc
Such redirects are very useful for launching cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available hardware resources in order to generate cryptocurrency for the hackers.
One of the most dangerous effects of having this redirect active is that it can automatically track the users and their web activity. Having access to the web browser means that the active malware will be able to hijack all stored data within: cookies, history, bookmarks, settings and even stored account credentials. All hijacked data will be automatically uploaded to the servers operated by the hackers.
How to REMOVE S2.video.ru.net
The removal of S2.video.ru.net may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of S2.video.ru.net are fully gone from your PC.
- Guide 1: How to Remove S2.video.ru.net redirect from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of S2.video.ru.net redirect from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove S2.video.ru.net redirect from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase S2.video.ru.net redirect from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall S2.video.ru.net redirect from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove S2.video.ru.net redirect from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate S2.video.ru.net redirect from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove S2.video.ru.net redirect from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove S2.video.ru.net redirect
Step 2: Uninstall S2.video.ru.net redirect and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by S2.video.ru.net redirect on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by S2.video.ru.net redirect there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of S2.video.ru.net redirect from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall S2.video.ru.net redirect and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove S2.video.ru.net redirect via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove S2.video.ru.net redirect from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase S2.video.ru.net redirect from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall S2.video.ru.net redirect from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove S2.video.ru.net redirect from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the S2.video.ru.net redirect will be removed.
Eliminate S2.video.ru.net redirect from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.