The article will help you to remove Search.hmytemplates.co fully. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
The Search.hmytemplates.co redirect is a dangerous browser hijacker that has been uncovered in a recent attack campaign. It can be used to distribute virus payloads and cause various system changes to the infected hosts.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The hijacker redirect can alter the homepage, search engine and new tab on every browser application you have installed.|
|Symptoms||The homepage, new tab and search engine of all your browsers will be switched to Search.hmytemplates.co. You will be redirected and could see sponsored content.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Search.hmytemplates.co.|
Search.hmytemplates.co – Distribution Methods
The Search.hmytemplates.co redirect is a typical browser hijacker strain that is being distributed using the most popular methods. In order to increase the infection ratio the hackers can use several techniques at once.
A primary method is the use of SPAM messages that are being sent in bulk and use social engineering tricks that manipulate the targets into interacting with the dangerous element. This is done by using text and graphics from well-known sites, services and products. The messages are designed to look like service emails or notifications about their account activity. The malicious files are either attached directly to them or hyperlinked in the body contents. While the virus files may be deployed directly the email messages can also be used to spread infected payloads. Two of the most popular types are the following:
- Software Installers — The operators behind the Search.hmytemplates.co browser redirect can include the infection code in application installers, usually the most popular software is chosen: system utilities, creativity suites, productivity and office applications and even computer games. The installer packages are downloaded from the official vendors and modified to include the dangerous code.
- Documents — Virus infections can happen when interacting with infected files: text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once they are opened a notification prompt appears that asks the victims to enable the built-in macros. If this is done the malicious file will be downloaded and the Search.hmytemplates.co redirect will be installed.
The browser redirect can also be directly advertised on the software plugin repositories using fake developer credentials and user reviews. The redirects are advertised with elaborate descriptions with promises of adding new useful features or changing the application’s behavior in a certain way.
Search.hmytemplates.co redirect strains can also be distributed using web scripts of different types, including all sorts of pop-ups, banners, redirects and in-line code.
Search.hmytemplates.co – Detailed Description
The Search.hmytemplates.co redirect is a typical example of the hijacker class of infections. It comes under the form of a browser plugin that is made compatible with the most popular web browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera and Microsoft Edge. Once the infections are on the target computers the associated engine will start to commit various application changes. Usually the default home page, search engine and new tabs page are changed to reflect the hacker-controlled site. As the virus spreads from the web browsers it can also access all contained information: cookies, history, bookmarks, preferences, passwords and etc. As soon as the users open their browser windows they will see the hacker-controlled site and varous tracking cookies will be instituted on their computers.
The Search.hmytemplates.co hijacker can be programmed into executing various malicious actions. One of the first actions instituted by the engine can be a data harvesting component. It would use predefined strings that scan the system for specific information and the data is then reported back to the operators. The harvested information can be used for campaign optimization purposes by creating a complete profile of the hardware components and certain operating system values. In addition it can be programmed to also expose the victim’s identity by hijacking personal data. Example contents include the victim’s name, address, telephone number, interests, location, passwords and account credentials. This can be fed to a stealth protection module that protects the instance from security software that can interfere with its correct execution. Example software includes the likes of anti-virus products, sandbox environments and virtual machine hosts.
The computer hackers behind the Search.hmytemplates.co hijacker can also bundle ransomware-like behavior by creating a network connection to a hacker-controlled server. It is used to harvest the captured data and also lead to a Trojan-like behavior — the hackers can spy on the victims in real time, as well as overtake control of their machines. This connection can also serve to deploy additional malicious instances as well.
The site itself is designed using a standard template that is made to look like legitimate web sites and services. It is made up of several elements:
- Top Menu Bar — It contains a search bar along with several links to other sites that are operated by the company. It contains a drop-down menu that contains the following entries: Create Custom Templates, Create Business Cards, Create Resumes. They are custom affiliate links that can redirect the users to various sites depending on the site’s current configuration.
- Main Search Engine — This is the main interactive element which looks like a legitimate search engine. We remind our users that all entered queries may lead to dangerous sites and even virus instances.
- Email address
- IP address
- Home address (mailing address)
- Search queries and all data you type in searches
- Search data and specifics of searches
- URLs and clicks
- Browser type
- Your name
- Your geographic location
- Your ISP (Internet Search Provider)
- Communications preferences
- Operating System (and other related data)
We remind our users that browser hjackers like this one have the primary goal of creating a full profile of the victims. The collected data is pooled into databases that are shared between the various hijacker sites.
Remove Search.hmytemplates.co Browser Hijacker
To remove Search.hmytemplates.co manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions given below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the browser hijacker entirely, you should search for and remove any leftover items with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such software helps keep your computer secure in the future. We remind our readers that certain hijackers (most likely this one as well) are configured to harvest the information to a database shared with other similar threats.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Search.hmytemplates.co from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Search.hmytemplates.co from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Search.hmytemplates.co from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Search.hmytemplates.co from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Search.hmytemplates.co from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Search.hmytemplates.co from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Search.hmytemplates.co from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Search.hmytemplates.co from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Search.hmytemplates.co
Step 2: Uninstall Search.hmytemplates.co and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Search.hmytemplates.co on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Search.hmytemplates.co there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Search.hmytemplates.co from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Search.hmytemplates.co and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Search.hmytemplates.co via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Search.hmytemplates.co from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Search.hmytemplates.co from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Search.hmytemplates.co from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Search.hmytemplates.co from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Search.hmytemplates.co will be removed.
Eliminate Search.hmytemplates.co from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.