Walmart Phishing virus infections can happen through multiple ways. They take advantage of the name of the shopping site in order to promote themselves. The different virus attacks are being operated by different hacking groups and individuals — we have received reports of numerous campaigns that use the Walmart name in different elements. Most of them are related to malicious scripts that are found in redirects and pop-ups, as well as intrusive ads. Reading this article will help you protect yourself from bogus Walmart sites and virus infections.
|Name||Walmart Phishing Virus|
|Short Description||Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous shopping site Walmart.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Walmart Phishing Virus.|
Walmart Phishing Virus — How Did I Get It?
The Walmart phishing virus has been detected in a global attack which is set against end users. It is probably being sent by a malicious hacking group as more than 540 domains have been identified as part of a worldwide campaign.
The hackers are spoofing the legitimate Walmart phishing site by creating copies of it, as well as dedicated elements such as login pages and certain product landing portals associated with the company. They are hosted on domain names that sound very similar to the main Walmart site. They can also include hijacked security certificates. One of the most prolific scam page associated with the Walmart phishing virus clones is a fake employee application site — it appears to be collecting personal information about the victims. It can then be used to forward them to other landing pages.
Links to the Walmart phishing virus sites can be placed in various file carriers. There are several popular variants:
- Macro-Infected Documents — The hackers can include the necessary virus installation scripts into document file formats such as the following: text files, presentations, databases, spreadsheets and etc. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will appears asking them to enable the built-in code to correctly view the contents.
- Application Installers — This is a common strategy which will integrate the setup instructions into application installers of popular software. This usually includes productivity and office apps, system utilities, creativity suites and even computer games. They are made by taking the original sample from their official pages and then modifying them in order to create the dangerous copies.
- Browser Hijackers — These are dangerous plugins made compatible with the most popular web browsers. They are frequently uploaded to the associated repositories with fake or counterfeit user reviews and developer credentials. In their descriptions various performance optimizations or new features.
All of these files can be spread across file-sharing networks such as BitTorrent which are used to spread both legitimate and pirate data.
The Walmart phishing virus strains can be sent via social networks via fake or stolen hacker-made accounts. This can include all kinds of web communities including social networks, forums, chatrooms and etc.
Walmart Phishing Virus — What Does It Do?
The current attack campaign is focused on redirecting the victims to the hacker-made Walmart phishing virus landing pages. The main goal of the attackers is to steal sensitive user data. The information can be grouped into two main categories:
- Sensitive User Data — This can be done by instructing the engine to look for data that an expose the identity of the victims. This can lead to the identification of a person’s name, address, phone numbers and even account credentials.
- Machine Information — The engine associated with the Walmart phishing virus can also be used to create an unique ID that can be assigned to each compromised host. This is based on a complete hardware profile which is generated by the engine.
Another dangerous malicious action which is often run is the modification of system configuration files. Example include the boot options which will lead to the setting of the Walmart phishing virus as a persistent threat. This means that the threat will be run as soon as the computer is powered on. Some of the advanced versions can block access to the recovery boot options making it even harder to remove the threat.
If changes to the Windows Registry values are done then the victims may experience serious performance issues, data loss and unexpected errors.
Many of the Walmart phishing virus attacks can be made in order to allow the criminals to send out other malware to the infected machines. This can include ransomware viruses which will encrypt target user data according to a built-in list of target file type extensions. The victims will find that their files are renamed with a custom extension and through ransomware notes or lockscreens will be blackmailed the hackers a decryption fee.
Another common malware which is deployed to the victims is the Trojan horse infection — dangerous standalone threats that will establish a secure and persistent connection to a set hacker-controlled server. This will allow the hackers to take over control of their machines, steal sensitive data and also spy on the victims.
Remove Walmart Phishing virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Walmart Phishing virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Walmart Phishing virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Walmart Phishing virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Walmart Phishing Virus from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Walmart Phishing Virus on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Walmart Phishing Virus in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Walmart Phishing Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Walmart Phishing Virus from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Walmart Phishing Virus from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Walmart Phishing Virus from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Walmart Phishing Virus Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Walmart Phishing Virus from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Walmart Phishing Virus
Step 2: Uninstall Walmart Phishing Virus and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Walmart Phishing Virus on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Walmart Phishing Virus there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Walmart Phishing Virus from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Walmart Phishing Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Walmart Phishing Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Walmart Phishing Virus files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Walmart Phishing Virus, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Walmart Phishing Virus from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Walmart Phishing Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Walmart Phishing Virus from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Walmart Phishing Virus from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Walmart Phishing Virus will be removed.
Eliminate Walmart Phishing Virus from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Walmart Phishing Virus from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".