The Chatroulette Phishing Virus is a popular web threat which is spread across the Internet posing as an official adult videos site. The many virus samples are fake copies and/or attempt to fraud the victims into believing that they have accessed a safe resource. Read our in-depth Chatroulette Phishing Virus removal guide to learn how to protect yourself from danger.
|Name||Chatroulette Phishing Virus|
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Xtube download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Chatroulette Phishing Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Chatroulette Phishing Virus.|
Chatroulette Phishing Virus – How Did I Get It
The Chatroulette Phishing Virus is a dangerous web threat which can be placed in various sites, payload carriers and etc. One of the most popular ways through which it is spread revolves around the hosting of fake Chatroulette sites which are hosted on similar sounding domain names that may be very similar to the real one. In addition they can include security certificates that may be stolen or self-signed.
Links to these sites can be placed among various phishing sources such as the following:
- Email Phishing Messages — The hackers can send out messages that will persuade the recipients into thinking that they have received a service or company notification. Through interaction with their contents the infections will occur. In the case of Chatroulette the messages can take the form of password reset prompts, login information, special offers and etc.
- Redirect Sites — The hackers can command various redirect sites into opening up the Chatroulette phishing page. This can be done by using a worldwide network of infected pages and the automatic generation of new ones.
Other mechanisms that the hackers are using can include the embedding of the installation code in various files, common types are the following:
- Macro-Infected Documents — They can be of all popular document formats used by end users: presentations, text files, databases and spreadsheets. As soon as they are opened a notification prompt will be spawned asking the victims to enable the built-in scripts. When this is done the infection will follow.
- Setup Bundles — The hackers can construct dangerous setup packages of popular software which can range across all popular types: from system utilities and service programs to creativity suites and productivity solutions and even computer games. They are also freely shared on file-sharing networks like BitTorrent where both legitimate and pirate files can be easily found.
- Browser Hijackers — They represent dangerous plugins which are made for the most popular web browsers and are usually uploaded to their relevant repositories. Often fake user reviews and developer credentials are used in order to manipulate the visitors into installing them. The descriptions will feature promises of new feature additions or enhancements when using the Chatroulette sites. However in most cases as soon as they are installed the built-in malicious behavior pattern will be executed.
As the Chatroulette phishing virus masks itself as a popular adult web site portal page links to it can be easily inserted across various online communities. This includes social networks, forum, chat rooms and etc. The hackers can use specially made credentials or stolen profiles in order to spread it.
Chatroulette Phishing Virus – What Does It Do?
Almost all of the Chatroulette phishing virus threats which are web based will have the intention of leading the users to a dangerous landing page. They include not only fake login pages but also various other types of contents. As the majority of them are hosted on similar sounding domain names it is very easy to fall victim to the threat.
As soon as a dangerous site is opened the victims will encounter a variety of malware activities:
- Data Extraction — The engine can extract information about the users by immediately downloading tracking cookies to the victims. They will start to monitor the activities of the users and transmit the data directly to the hacker operators. Other web technologies can generate a complete profile of their interests and hobbies.
- Browser Modifications — The hackers can also create the necessary changes in order to make malware changes to the web browsers. This can include the default settings in order to always show the necessary page — the home page, new tabs page and even the search engine.
- Cryptocurrency Miners — These are small-sized scripts or standalone applications that will download a sequence of small-sized asks that will be run as soon as possible. They will place a heavy emphasis on the performance of the victims and have a heavy impact on it: the CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. For every successful task which is run the operators will receive a reward in the form of cryptocurrency that will be transferred to their digital wallets.
Any other behavior can be launched depending on the local conditions or the specific hacker instructions. This leads us to the fact that every made infection can function in an entirely different way as various hacker communities are behind the different campaigns. This gives us the reason into believing that it is very dangerous to give a single description as the infections can function in an entirely different way.
When the exeuctable files are concerned the malware activities can be even more deadly. There are multiple ways that the executable files can run. Some of the most dangerous effects of thier use are the following:
- Boot Options Changes — This step will modify the system configuration and the boot options in order to disable the possibility of entering the recovery boot options. This will make it really hard to follow most manual user removal guides. In this case we recommend that all computer users with an active infection use a professional-grade removal solution. Bear in mind that in most cases the infection will be automatically started as soon as the computer is powered on.
- Security Bypass — When run this component will start a data harvesting campaign with the intention of scanning for any active security solutions that can effectively block the normal execution of the threat. Examples include the following: anti-virus programs, firewalls, virtual machine hosts and sandbox environments.
- Data Gathering — In a manner which is similar to the data extraction done via the web threats a sophisticated module will be used to search sensitive information which can reveal data about the victims and the machines. It can be used for various crimes such as identity theft, financial abuse and blackmail. When the computer information is concerned it can be used to construct an unique infection ID which is assigned to each compromised host.
- Windows Registry Changes — The virus engine can also create new strings in the Windows Registry for itself or modify existing ones. As a consequence the victims will notice severe performance and stability degradation. This can lead to data loss, unexpected errors and the inability to start certain operating system functions and program features.
One of the most dangerous aspects of having an active Chatroulette phishing virus infection is its ability to infect the target users with other malware. For example this can result in the installation of a Trojan module, a dangerous malware which will establish a secure connection to a certain hacker-controlled server. This will allow the hacker operators to spy on the victims in real-time, take over control of their computers and hijack user data.
The other popular threat which is actively being spread against Internet users worldwide is the cryptocurrency miner. This is a small-sized script or application which will download a sequence of mathematical tasks that are very complex to compute. They will place a heavy emphasis on critical hardware components and make it really hard to use the computer normally. Severe stability issues can be experienced as this includes key parameters such as the CPU, memory, hard disk space and even the graphics card.
All active infections should be removed as soon as possible in order to prevent any further damage. At the same time there can be multiple variants of the virus active and by different hacking groups which means that the consequences can be really devastating. Our in-depth Chatroulette phishing virus removal guide shows how this can be done.
Remove Chatroulette Phishing Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Chatroulette Phishing Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Chatroulette Phishing Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Chatroulette Phishing Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.