This article will help you to remove Helpme.net Redirect from your browser and computer.
In case your search engine keeps changing to Helpme.net Redirect even when you set another one, your device is probably affected by an undesired program. Such a program first finds a way to trick you into installing it on your device and then accesses installed browsers to apply some significant modifications without your knowledge. As long as this program is running on your computer it will be also able to generate lots of annoying online advertisements while you are browsing the web.
|Type||Browser Hijacker / Redirect / PUP|
|Short Description||Related to the presence of undesired program on your computer. This program aims to heavily modify web browsers’settings and display ads.|
|Symptoms||Preferred web browser is configured to redirect you to a hacker-controlled page. Lots of ads flood the affected browser. Slower system performance could be noticed.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Helpme.net redirect |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Helpme.net redirect.|
Helpme.net Redirect — Spread Techniques
The Helpme.net Redirect is a popular Internet scam which is widely available over world wide network using a variety of methods. It is very possible that it is distributed by different hacking collectives due to the fact that the number of infected victims is steadily rising.
The criminals can coordinate the launch of email phishing campaigns which look like legitimate notifications that have been sent in by well-known companies. The Helpme.net Redirect files can be either directly attached or linked in the contents: text links and multimedia content such as buttons and images.
Another mechanism that is popular with attackers is to embed the virus installation code in infected payload carriers. This means that the infection will happen as soon as the users interact with them. Two of the most popular types are the following:
- Malicious Documents — The Helpme.net Redirect virus code can be placed in macros that are part of all popular document formats: spreadsheets, presentations, text documents and databases. When opened by the users a prompt will appear asking the victims to enable the built-in code. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to correctly view the contents of the file. If allowed this will lead to the Helpme.net Redirect installation.
- Application Installers — The other tactic is to embed the installer code of the redirect in software setup files. The criminals will typically target those applications that are commonly installed by end users. The way these threats are made is that the legitimate setup files are taken from their official sources and modified to include the relevant code. They are then then distributed using the distribution methods.
All of these malware files can be spread using file-sharing networks such as BitTorrent where both legitimate and pirate data is shared freely among Internet users.
Redirects are commonly caused by the installation of malicious web browser extensions called hijackers. They are made compatible with all popular programs and usually uploaded to their relevant repositories. Their descriptions will promise the addition of new features and performance enhancements. To make them appear as legitimate the criminals can post them with fake developer credentials and user reviews.
Helpme.net Redirect — More About Its Impact
The Helpme.net Redirect usually infects the browsers of the affected victims but this is not its only form. It can also host its own process in the system’s memory and place malicious files in the system. As every single infection can have its separate attack instructions it is very likely that each campaign will feature a distinct behavior. We presume that all infections of this type will change the settings of the installed web browsers to point out to a distinct hacker-controlled page. This is done by modifying values such as the default home page, search engine and new tabs page.
As this is done from the browsers we anticipate that the malicious engine will have the ability to extract sensitive data from the web browsers, the hard disk contents and the memory processes. This can result in the collection of information that can be grouped into two main types:
- Personal Information — The criminals can hijack information that can directly expose the identity of the victims. This is done by an engine that is capable of searching for strings that can reveal a person’s real name, interests, location, phone number and even stored account credentials.
- Machine Data — The Helpme.net redirect engine can also be programmed to craft an unique infection ID that can be assigned to every single individual infection. It is made by harvesting environment values such as the installed hardware components, system condition and user preferences.
This can be followed by a security bypass component which is capable of finding out if any security software that can block the normal infection routine. This is done by a separate module that is invoked by the main engine, it will search both the memory and the hard disk contents for them. The list includes all sorts of anti-virus programs, firewalls, intrusion detection systems and virtual machine hosts. Advanced versions can delete themselves if this step has failed.
When these actions have finished if prescribed other components can be called by the Helpme.net Redirect engine:
- Additional Payloads Delivery — There are many malware threats that can be delivered by this threat. The most common ones include Trojans, miners and ransomware.
- Windows Registry Changes — Many redirects like this one can lead to dangerous changes to existing Windows Registry values, additionally the virus engine can create ones for itself. This usually leads to serious performance problems, data loss and unexpected errors when using services and third-party applications.
- Persistent Installation — The redirect code can manipulate the operating system configuration files and settings in order to lead to a persistent state of infection. This means that the virus engine will be started as soon as the computer is launched. Another consequence is that this procedure will disable access to the boot recovery options which renders most manual user removal guides worthless.
At the time of writing this article the page hosts a fake technical support page. The main goal of this threat is to redirect the victims to a specific hacker-controlled site from which various scams can be caused, including phishing requests to interact with the site or coercing the users into downloading and running various files. This is a dynamic threat which can change its behavior in an instant. This is the reason why a quality anti-spyware solution is recommended to be used.
How to Remove Helpme.net Redirect
In order to remove Helpme.net Redirect from your browser, you should uninstall all associated files that enable its appearance in the browser. To complete this you should pass through several removal steps all of which are presented in the guide below. It enables you to choose between manual and automatic removal approach. However, if you want to fully get rid of the undesired program that keeps changing your search engine you should combine the steps. By doing this you will also strengthen the security of your device and keep it safe against malware intrusions.
In case you want to ask us something or need additional help with the removal process, don’t hesitate to leave a comment, visit our forum, or contact us at our email.