This article will help you to remove 12startpage.com in full. Follow the browser hijacker removal instructions given at the end of the article.
12startpage.com is a browser hijacker redirect. The website will redirect you and push advertisements on pages. While using its services, you can find yourself on both popular search engines and unfamiliar pages with lots of pop-ups and sponsored content that go through this hijacker. The hijacker will change the start page, new tab, and search settings for the browser applications you have on your computer system.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Each browser application on your computer could get affected. The hijacker can redirect you and will display lots of advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Browser settings which are altered are the homepage, search engine and the new tab.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by 12startpage.com |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss 12startpage.com.|
12startpage.com – Distribution Techniques
12startpage.com might be distributed through various techniques. One of those techniques is via third-party installations. Those installer setups come from bundled applications and freeware that could be set to install additional content by default on your computer system. Usually, that could happen without any notification. You might have tried installing a media player or free software and got your browser settings modified by the hijacker. To avoid unwanted programs from affecting your PC is doable if you find Custom or Advanced settings. There you should be able to deselect what you don’t want.
12startpage.com could be distributed via other methods, like add-ons or browser extensions which install on your browser. Other distribution ways use advertisements, such as banners, pop-ups, pop-unders, and redirect links. Sponsored advertisements, including targeted content on suspicious websites could distribute the hijacker, too. These websites might also be partners or affiliates of the 12startpage.com website and services. These browsers could be affected: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari.
12startpage.com – Technical Insight
12startpage.com is the search URL address of a browser hijacker redirect. At first glance it seems okay, but many users have reported it being installed on their machines without their permission. You will get redirected when you are using its services, from links, ads and pages that may load from the search results. The main domain page can be viewed from the screenshot given below:
The page displaced above can replace the homepage, new tab and default search of every browser that you have installed. 12startpage.com browser hijacker will redirect you if you use its services and interact with links, ads and other content from its search pages.
Take note that each search that you do on its pages will be sending information to servers connected to the Trovi.com hijacker. Below you can see how you are redirected to Trovi, every time you make a search query:
The photo that you see under this paragraph shows a clear example of what the results of a search query look like when they go through the 12startpage.com and Trovi.com. Here the search results that you end up on are from Bing, but other popular search engines could be used. Every query in the search will get filtered and sent to servers connected to that of the hijacker and Trovi. Thus, everything that you give out as information will be gathered by the browser hijacker and its partners in question.
The 12startpage.com website can push advertisements and heaps of redirects that can put browser cookies on your computer system, and they can track your online activity. Other, more advanced tracking technologies could have been used, especially from Trovi. Be wary of the information you provide on such search pages, especially on ones, associated with 12startpage.com and Trovi.com. Refrain from clicking on suspicious advertisements and links that can show up.
You can see the Policy page from the screenshot right here:
The following information can be collected by the hijacker:
- the IP address of the requesting terminal device
- the date and time of access
- the name and URL of the file called up
- the website from which the file is accessed
- the operating system of your terminal device
- the browser you are using
- the name of your internet access provider
- the date and time of the installation of your OCS-Product
- the version no. of your OCS-Product
- the name and URL of the file called up
- gen. geo-marketing data (city, country-id)
- your search keyword
- the date and time of your search query
- any unique identifiers from any cookies used by Microsoft or Yahoo or others
- the the search- and browser settings of your browser
- your browser’s language-settings and type of browser
There is also data collected by Trovi, according to the policy of Trovi.com which can be divided into a few information types:
- Your browser type
- Type, name and version of Operating System
- Type, name and version of other software
- Your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
- Your physical location
- Your Internet protocol (IP) address
- Anonymous user identifiers
- Device configuration and identifiers
- The version, configuration and settings of their Software
- Your use and interaction with your device
- When and how you use their software
- How you use your internet browser and internet search related applications
- The web pages you visit and the content you see
- Your interactions with offerings and advertisements that you view
- Your search queries
- The time and date of your searches
Social Networks Information
- Your interactions on social networks via their software
- Friends or contact lists
Registration Related Information
- Information you provide when you register for their software
- Your name
- Home or work addresses
- Your E-mail address
- Telephone and fax numbers
- Your birth date
- Your gender
Support Related Information
- Your email address
- Your name
- Any information voluntarily submitted by you
Information that may be collected by the site “unintentionally”
- Social security numbers
- Credit card numbers
- Login information
Cookies connected to the browser hijacking site and services of 12startpage.com are also dropped by them to acquire more information related to your internet activity and habits. The 12startpage.com service could collect even more data with which you could be identified.
In conclusion, you should be wary of what information you give out to search engines and websites. In case you do not like the idea of any information to be acquired about you by this browser hijacker or its services, you should consider removing it.
Remove 12startpage.com Redirect
To remove 12startpage.com manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the hijacker redirect and its files completely, you should search for and remove any leftovers with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such a program can keep your computer safe in the future.