The gl-search.com Redirect is a malware browser hijacker that redirects the victims to a hacker-controlled page. Additional viruses can be instituted, as well as any extra components.
Our in-depth gl-search.com Redirect shows how victims can effectively remove active infections and protect their machines from incoming infections.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The gl-search.com is a dangerous hacker-controlled site that is distributed using browser hijackers and other tactics. It is modeled after legitimate services and represents a common rogue strategy.|
|Symptoms||Important web browser settings are changed in order to redirect the victims to the malware site.|
|Distribution Method||Browser Hijackers, Email Spam, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Gl-search.com |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Gl-search.com.|
gl-search.com – Distribution Methods
The gl-search.com redirect infections can be contacted via different methods. One of the most common ways is to use phishing email messages with social engineering techniques. The malware users can hijack the templates (both text and graphics) from well-known companies and attempt to manipulate the users into thinking that they are receiving messages from legitimate services. The infections happen when the targets interact with a malware script or execute a dangerous executable file. There are several primary ways that are being used to make this happen:
- Embedded Hyperlinks — The criminals can include links to the malware samples in the body contents of the messages. They are usually disguised as password reset links, login forms or other types of portal sites that deliver scam schemes. When the hackers want to distribute executables files that lead to infections they can be modeled to look like system utilities and other software.
- Downloads — The malware files can be directly placed in the messages as attachments.
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the malware script into documents of various types: rich text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once they are opened a notification prompt appears which asks the users to enable the built-in scripts. If this is done the malware is downloaded from a hacker-controlled server and the infection begins.
Special hacker-controlled sites can be made specifically to distribute threats like this one. The most common tools rely on templates that attempt to replicate the look and feel of download portals and legitimate software vendors. Many of them can also hijack the legitimate text and graphics of famous companies in order to manipulate the victims into installing the samples.
However browser hijackers remain one of the most common methods. They represent malware browser extensions which are typically distributed on the official software repositories of the most famous web applications (Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer). The hackers may use fake software developer credentials and user reviews as well.
gl-search.com – More Details
As browser hijackers are the main delivery method of the gl-search.com redirect, this article concerns the many dangers that such infections cause. Once they infect the relevant applications important settings are altered. This includes the default home page, search engine and new tabs page to the hacker-provided site.
As soon as the victims open up their web browsers they will see the malware site. In the background a tracking cookie is instituted which starts to gather information from the infected computers. The security experts classify the data into two main categories:
- Anonymous Metrics — This type of data is used for statistics purposes by the malware controllers. Examples include hardware components, operating system version, type of web browser and etc.
- Personally-identifiable Information — Such data consists of harvested strings that can be used to expose the identity of the victims directly. The hackers program it to automatically find information related to their names, address, interests, passwords and messages.
When the computer users use the search engine they will find that the returned results showcase sponsored or ad links and not the best possible sites. In addition dangerous malware can be installed alongside the hijacker. The hyperlinks can be of two kinds. The first approach uses affiliate links that generate revenue for every click made to the sites. The second type of hyperlinks can lead to malware-infected sites.
Once the users access the site they automatically give their consent on the information gathering technologies. The document lists several ways that the information can be accessed. Every time the users access the site its scripts hijack the data. Tracking cookies and web beacons are also employed, as well as data collected by third parties. This proves the fact that the site is heavily linked with other malware services that also hijack sensitive data from the victims. Victims need to pay special attention to the fact that the gl-search.com redirect does not respond to the “do not track” options.
How to Remove gl-search.com Redirect Effectively
The removal steps for gl-search.com redirect are listed below. If you don’t feel quite comfortable with the manual removal approach you can choose the automatic. For maximum efficiency and the complete removal of gl-search.com from affected browsers and Windows system it is good to fulfill all steps.
Manually delete Gl-search.com from your Mac
Automatically remove Gl-search.com from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Gl-search.com, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.