The gl-search.com Redirect is a malware browser hijacker that redirects the victims to a hacker-controlled page. Additional viruses can be instituted, as well as any extra components.
Our in-depth gl-search.com Redirect shows how victims can effectively remove active infections and protect their machines from incoming infections.
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The gl-search.com is a dangerous hacker-controlled site that is distributed using browser hijackers and other tactics. It is modeled after legitimate services and represents a common rogue strategy.|
|Symptoms||Important web browser settings are changed in order to redirect the victims to the malware site.|
|Distribution Method||Browser Hijackers, Email Spam, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Gl-search.com |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Gl-search.com.|
gl-search.com – Distribution Methods
The gl-search.com redirect infections can be contacted via different methods. One of the most common ways is to use phishing email messages with social engineering techniques. The malware users can hijack the templates (both text and graphics) from well-known companies and attempt to manipulate the users into thinking that they are receiving messages from legitimate services. The infections happen when the targets interact with a malware script or execute a dangerous executable file. There are several primary ways that are being used to make this happen:
- Embedded Hyperlinks — The criminals can include links to the malware samples in the body contents of the messages. They are usually disguised as password reset links, login forms or other types of portal sites that deliver scam schemes. When the hackers want to distribute executables files that lead to infections they can be modeled to look like system utilities and other software.
- Downloads — The malware files can be directly placed in the messages as attachments.
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the malware script into documents of various types: rich text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once they are opened a notification prompt appears which asks the users to enable the built-in scripts. If this is done the malware is downloaded from a hacker-controlled server and the infection begins.
Special hacker-controlled sites can be made specifically to distribute threats like this one. The most common tools rely on templates that attempt to replicate the look and feel of download portals and legitimate software vendors. Many of them can also hijack the legitimate text and graphics of famous companies in order to manipulate the victims into installing the samples.
However browser hijackers remain one of the most common methods. They represent malware browser extensions which are typically distributed on the official software repositories of the most famous web applications (Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Opera, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer). The hackers may use fake software developer credentials and user reviews as well.
gl-search.com – More Details
As browser hijackers are the main delivery method of the gl-search.com redirect, this article concerns the many dangers that such infections cause. Once they infect the relevant applications important settings are altered. This includes the default home page, search engine and new tabs page to the hacker-provided site.
As soon as the victims open up their web browsers they will see the malware site. In the background a tracking cookie is instituted which starts to gather information from the infected computers. The security experts classify the data into two main categories:
- Anonymous Metrics — This type of data is used for statistics purposes by the malware controllers. Examples include hardware components, operating system version, type of web browser and etc.
- Personally-identifiable Information — Such data consists of harvested strings that can be used to expose the identity of the victims directly. The hackers program it to automatically find information related to their names, address, interests, passwords and messages.
When the computer users use the search engine they will find that the returned results showcase sponsored or ad links and not the best possible sites. In addition dangerous malware can be installed alongside the hijacker. The hyperlinks can be of two kinds. The first approach uses affiliate links that generate revenue for every click made to the sites. The second type of hyperlinks can lead to malware-infected sites.
Once the users access the site they automatically give their consent on the information gathering technologies. The document lists several ways that the information can be accessed. Every time the users access the site its scripts hijack the data. Tracking cookies and web beacons are also employed, as well as data collected by third parties. This proves the fact that the site is heavily linked with other malware services that also hijack sensitive data from the victims. Victims need to pay special attention to the fact that the gl-search.com redirect does not respond to the “do not track” options.
How to Remove gl-search.com Redirect Effectively
The removal steps for gl-search.com redirect are listed below. If you don’t feel quite comfortable with the manual removal approach you can choose the automatic. For maximum efficiency and the complete removal of gl-search.com from affected browsers and Windows system it is good to fulfill all steps.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Gl-search.com from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Gl-search.com from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Gl-search.com from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Gl-search.com from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Gl-search.com from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Gl-search.com from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Gl-search.com from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Gl-search.com from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Gl-search.com
Step 2: Uninstall Gl-search.com and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Gl-search.com on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Gl-search.com there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Gl-search.com from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Gl-search.com and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Gl-search.com via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Gl-search.com files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Gl-search.com, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Gl-search.com from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Gl-search.com from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Gl-search.com from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Gl-search.com from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Gl-search.com will be removed.
Eliminate Gl-search.com from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.