The okaynav.com redirect is a widespread browser redirect and hijacker infection which has been reported to affect thousands of users worldwide. It can be spread using the most common tactics. This particular type of threats are commonly found as plugins available in the repository. In most cases fake user reviews and developer credentials may also be used in order to fool the visitors into installing them. These files may also be uploaded to file sharing networks using various file names. Other techniques includes the inclusion of the virus installation files in payloads such as software installers and malware documents. The browser-based plugin will reconfigure the web browsers in order to always show the relevant site, this includes settings such as the default home page, new tabs page and search engine. The site itself is designed to imitate well-known Internet sites by dynamically allowing the hackers to change both the design and contents. Typical site choices include search engines, landing pages and portals.
By interacting with the okaynav.com redirect site the visitors can experience some of the most common malware actions:
- Tracking Cookies Installation — Upon visiting the site the first time a multitude of tracking cookies will be installed. They will monitor the actions of the users and report them back to the hackers in real-time.
- Payload Delivery — All interactive elements can lead to some kind of malware infection. This includes all links, multimedia content and banners.
- Ads Placement — The hackers can embed advertising that will be placed across the okaynav.com redirect site and will generate a small income for every impression and click. All kinds of content can be placed: banners, pop-ups, links and flash pages.
- Data Gathering — There are certain scripts that allow the redirect to extract sensitive data both about the users and their machines. This is done by configuring the relevant engine to extract strings that are incorporated into these two types of information. This allows the hackers to conduct crimes such as financial abuse and identity theft.
- Security Apps Bypass — Many hijackers and redirects will include code that can modify the behavior of the system without alerting the users. This makes it possible for the dangerous code to locate and remove any security software that can interfere with the proper execution of the okaynav.com redirect. The list of affected software includes firewalls, virtual machine hosts and anti-virus engines.
One of the most dangerous consequences of having an active okaynav.com redirect installation is the fact that all of the gathered information may be uploaded to databases that can collect and share (sell) the data to interested parties.
|Short Description||okaynav.com is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by okaynav.com redirect |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss okaynav.com redirect.|
okaynav.com – HOW Did I Get It
The okaynav.com redirect is a common web infection which is commonly found across Internet browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins which are made compatible with the most popular software. Another possible source of infections is the installation of PUPs which are potentially unwanted software. They are designed to appear as legitimate software however upon running them the redirect files will be placed in the victim’s computer and started.
Beware of phishing emails that may pose as legitimate services and attempt to coerce the victims into interacting with them which will eventually lead to a redirect installation.
Such redirects can be spread via malicious sites that aim to persuade the visitors into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate and safe web page. They are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and may include forged or stolen security certificates.
Various payload delivery methods can be used to spread the okaynav.com redirect to the intended victims. There are two main types:
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the necessary scrips that will lead to the infection in the most common document file types: presentations, spreadsheets, text documents and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will ask for permissions to run them. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to view the contents of the files.
- Malware Software Bundles — The criminals behind the okaynav.com redirect can place the installation code in application installers of popular software. They are spread using various methods and are very difficult to detect.
The redirect related files can be spread via file sharing networks of which BitTorrent is currently the most popular one. Another frequently used method is the integration of the relevant code into browser hijackers which are malicious extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are posted with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to coerce the visitors into downloading and installing them.
okaynav.com – What Does It DO
The okaynav.com is a classic browser-based redirect which will redirect the victims to this hacker-controlled page every time the web browser is run. This can lead to dangerous behavior as soon as the users start to interact with the site:
- Tracking of their Internet activity
- Advertising content such as pop-ups, banners, text links and etc
- Deployment of other malicious infections: Trojans, ransomware and etc
Such redirects are very useful for launching cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available hardware resources in order to generate cryptocurrency for the hackers.
One of the most dangerous effects of having this redirect active is that it can automatically track the users and their web activity. Having access to the web browser means that the active malware will be able to hijack all stored data within: cookies, history, bookmarks, settings and even stored account credentials. All hijacked data will be automatically uploaded to the servers operated by the hackers.
How to REMOVE okaynav.com
The removal of okaynav.com may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of okaynav.com are fully gone from your PC.