The weather7.com redirect is a web browser hijacker and malicious site combination which can change tactics at any given time. There is no information available about the hacking group behind it which also gives security researchers the notion that the most popular delivery tactics are used. They include phishing emails and malware created sites. The main method remains the upload of the relevant plugin to the browser’s plugin repository catalog. Fake user reviews and developer credentials are made in order to coerce the users into installing it.
Weather7.com redirect infections can cause a multitude of dangerous tactics. In the majority of cases the main goal is to deliver various malware payloads including Trojans and cryptocurrency miners. This is possible due to the fact that the included scripts can launch all kinds of threats. There are several types of common viruses:
- Trojans — The web scripts can deliver Trojan engines that will establish a connection with the hacker-controlled servers. This allows the hackers to take over control of the machines, steal their files and implant other viruses.
- Cryptocurrency Miners — They are scripts that will download complex mathematical tasks from certain servers and execute them on the infected machines. This will but a burden on the performance of the computers and on the key components making it very difficult to use the computers until the threat is completely removed.
- Browser Hijackers — These plugins will reconfigure the web browsers in order to always launch hacker-controlled pages.
All kinds of malicious actions can come up from this including information gathering. This is done by a built-in engine that will search for specific strings including personal information and machine data. The abuse of this data can be used for crimes such as identity theft and abuse of financial information. The weather7.com redirect can alter its web page contents at any time which may bring in changes to the behavior patterns as well.
|Short Description||weather7.com is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by weather7.com redirect |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss weather7.com redirect.|
weather7.com – HOW Did I Get It
The weather7.com redirect is a common web infection which is commonly found across Internet browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins which are made compatible with the most popular software. Another possible source of infections is the installation of PUPs which are potentially unwanted software. They are designed to appear as legitimate software however upon running them the redirect files will be placed in the victim’s computer and started.
Beware of phishing emails that may pose as legitimate services and attempt to coerce the victims into interacting with them which will eventually lead to a redirect installation.
Such redirects can be spread via malicious sites that aim to persuade the visitors into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate and safe web page. They are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and may include forged or stolen security certificates.
Various payload delivery methods can be used to spread the weather7.com redirect to the intended victims. There are two main types:
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the necessary scrips that will lead to the infection in the most common document file types: presentations, spreadsheets, text documents and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will ask for permissions to run them. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to view the contents of the files.
- Malware Software Bundles — The criminals behind the weather7.com redirect can place the installation code in application installers of popular software. They are spread using various methods and are very difficult to detect.
The redirect related files can be spread via file sharing networks of which BitTorrent is currently the most popular one. Another frequently used method is the integration of the relevant code into browser hijackers which are malicious extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are posted with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to coerce the visitors into downloading and installing them.
weather7.com – What Does It DO
The weather7.com is a classic browser-based redirect which will redirect the victims to this hacker-controlled page every time the web browser is run. This can lead to dangerous behavior as soon as the users start to interact with the site:
- Tracking of their Internet activity
- Advertising content such as pop-ups, banners, text links and etc
- Deployment of other malicious infections: Trojans, ransomware and etc
Such redirects are very useful for launching cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available hardware resources in order to generate cryptocurrency for the hackers.
One of the most dangerous effects of having this redirect active is that it can automatically track the users and their web activity. Having access to the web browser means that the active malware will be able to hijack all stored data within: cookies, history, bookmarks, settings and even stored account credentials. All hijacked data will be automatically uploaded to the servers operated by the hackers.
How to REMOVE weather7.com
The removal of weather7.com may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of weather7.com are fully gone from your PC.