The Winnerwinner.net redirect is a web browser hijacker and dangerous site which are currently distributed in an active attack campaign. As most of the infections happen through the web browsers as soon as the virus is deployed it can change the settings of the programs. Malicious actions such as data harvesting and the execution of malicious actions can take place. Our guide shows how users can effectively attempt to remove any active infections.
|Short Description||Winnerwinner.net is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Winnerwinner.net.|
Winnerwinner.net — Overview
The Winnerwinner.net redirect is a dangerous threat that is spread to the intended victims via different methods. It is a common scam site that is currently maintained by an unknown hacking group. There are several main strategies which are used to spread such malware:
- Email Messages — The hackers can organize phishing strategies via emails that are sent in a BULK-like manner.
- Fake Websites — The other popular mechanism is the creation of various hacker-controlled sites. They will be hosted on domain names that sound very similar to legitimate portals.
- Web Browser Hijackers — The hackers usually make malware extensions made for the most popular web browser applications. They are commonly uploaded to their relevant repositories with scam credentials and description.
- Scripts —Scripts that will install the redirect code can be placed in documents (macros), application setup files or website contents like banners, ads, text links, pop-ups and etc.
When the users access the site they will be led into believing that they are accessing a safe and legitimate gambling portal. While the main site may be hosted by a trusted company or organization there are reports of fake impostor sites which will lead the users into danger.
The most common malware action that will take place when the site is accessed is to show a page with a scratch card game. The users will be enticed into interacting with it until they are redirected to a landing page which can be different depending on the end users:
- Affiliate Links Display — This is the most common outcome, the users will be redirected to a site that will offer a service to the users. However instead of a direct link the one proposed will contain an ID code that will give a small amount of money to the operators if the victims choose to subscribe or pay for the offered product.
- Malware Infection — Many of the Winnerwinner.net redirect pages can be used to deploy dangerous malware threats. Common ones are cryptocurrency miners which take advantage of the available hardware resources to download and calculate complex mathematical tasks. When any of them have been reported as completed the hackers will receive income in cryptocurrency.
- Browser Hijackers and Redirect Behavior — Malware of this category are well known to be spread using such hacker-made sites. Hijackers are extensions made for the most popular web browsers and they are programmed to change the default settings thereby redirecting the victims to a hacker-controlled site. Values that are changed include the home page, search engine and new tabs page.
- Trojan Code Launch — Many web-based threats are programmed to install dangerous Trojan malware which will take over control of the affected computers. They are built around a main module that establishes a strong connection to a hacker server.
Different versions of the redirect can present other behavior, the victims should know that at any time the page can redirect to a totally different domain. And while there may be a legitimate site bearing the name, domain and contents of the Winnerwinner.net redirect there are also a lot of fake and dangerous copycats. This is the reason why victims are advised to always use a professional-grade anti-spyware solution.
How to REMOVE Winnerwinner.net
The removal of Winnerwinner.net may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of Winnerwinner.net are fully gone from your PC.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Winnerwinner.net from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Winnerwinner.net on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Winnerwinner.net in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Winnerwinner.net from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Winnerwinner.net from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Winnerwinner.net from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Winnerwinner.net from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Winnerwinner.net Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Winnerwinner.net from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Winnerwinner.net
Step 2: Uninstall Winnerwinner.net and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Winnerwinner.net on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Winnerwinner.net there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Winnerwinner.net from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Winnerwinner.net and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Winnerwinner.net via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Winnerwinner.net files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Winnerwinner.net, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Winnerwinner.net from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Winnerwinner.net from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Winnerwinner.net from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Winnerwinner.net from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Winnerwinner.net will be removed.
Eliminate Winnerwinner.net from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Winnerwinner.net from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".