The Winnerwinner.net redirect is a web browser hijacker and dangerous site which are currently distributed in an active attack campaign. As most of the infections happen through the web browsers as soon as the virus is deployed it can change the settings of the programs. Malicious actions such as data harvesting and the execution of malicious actions can take place. Our guide shows how users can effectively attempt to remove any active infections.
|Short Description||Winnerwinner.net is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Winnerwinner.net |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Winnerwinner.net.|
Winnerwinner.net — Overview
The Winnerwinner.net redirect is a dangerous threat that is spread to the intended victims via different methods. It is a common scam site that is currently maintained by an unknown hacking group. There are several main strategies which are used to spread such malware:
- Email Messages — The hackers can organize phishing strategies via emails that are sent in a BULK-like manner.
- Fake Websites — The other popular mechanism is the creation of various hacker-controlled sites. They will be hosted on domain names that sound very similar to legitimate portals.
- Web Browser Hijackers — The hackers usually make malware extensions made for the most popular web browser applications. They are commonly uploaded to their relevant repositories with scam credentials and description.
- Scripts —Scripts that will install the redirect code can be placed in documents (macros), application setup files or website contents like banners, ads, text links, pop-ups and etc.
When the users access the site they will be led into believing that they are accessing a safe and legitimate gambling portal. While the main site may be hosted by a trusted company or organization there are reports of fake impostor sites which will lead the users into danger.
The most common malware action that will take place when the site is accessed is to show a page with a scratch card game. The users will be enticed into interacting with it until they are redirected to a landing page which can be different depending on the end users:
- Affiliate Links Display — This is the most common outcome, the users will be redirected to a site that will offer a service to the users. However instead of a direct link the one proposed will contain an ID code that will give a small amount of money to the operators if the victims choose to subscribe or pay for the offered product.
- Malware Infection — Many of the Winnerwinner.net redirect pages can be used to deploy dangerous malware threats. Common ones are cryptocurrency miners which take advantage of the available hardware resources to download and calculate complex mathematical tasks. When any of them have been reported as completed the hackers will receive income in cryptocurrency.
- Browser Hijackers and Redirect Behavior — Malware of this category are well known to be spread using such hacker-made sites. Hijackers are extensions made for the most popular web browsers and they are programmed to change the default settings thereby redirecting the victims to a hacker-controlled site. Values that are changed include the home page, search engine and new tabs page.
- Trojan Code Launch — Many web-based threats are programmed to install dangerous Trojan malware which will take over control of the affected computers. They are built around a main module that establishes a strong connection to a hacker server.
Different versions of the redirect can present other behavior, the victims should know that at any time the page can redirect to a totally different domain. And while there may be a legitimate site bearing the name, domain and contents of the Winnerwinner.net redirect there are also a lot of fake and dangerous copycats. This is the reason why victims are advised to always use a professional-grade anti-spyware solution.
How to REMOVE Winnerwinner.net
The removal of Winnerwinner.net may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of Winnerwinner.net are fully gone from your PC.