What Is Search1.me Mac?
Search1.me is the name of a domain that has been created in order to be associated with a potentially unwanted application that may affect mainly Mac devices. The main objective of this domain is to display a lot of different types of advertisements after it changes the settings of your web browsers so that it can become your default homepage a new tab page. These ads can be risky for your Mac in a couple of ways, mainly related to the fact that some of them elite dangerous websites, like scams or malware.
Read this article in order to understand more about Search1.me, how it got on your Mac in the first place and how you can remove it from your web browser and your computer system.
Search1.me Mac – Details
|Type||Adware / PUP / Redirect for Mac|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your computer in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your device begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your machine.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by Search1.me
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Search1.me.|
Search1.me Mac – How Did I Get Infected
Just like other adware apps, such as NetMacro, EdgeAdvanced and JumpSearch, the Search1.me may use a couple of different strategies to be installed on your Mac without you even realising it. The most often used of those is called software bundling and it means that the software may pretend to be helpful application that is included in the installation of some other free app that you may have recently added to your Mac, like the show example below shows:
Another method of replication that this program may use is to get added to your browser via a suspicious webpage, like a Adobe Flash Player update, for example:
Search1.me – What Does It Do?
Once Search1.me it’s included in your Mac, the software may begin to perform a lot of different activities, like to change the settings of your web browsers and replace the default search engine, homepage, new tab and other webpages. All of this is done so that the software may begin bombarding you with different kinds of ads, like the following:
- Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
- Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
- Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
- Interruptive banner ads.
- Intrusive push notifications.
Search1.me may also use a variety of tracking objects to get information regarding what do you do online:
These are mostly cookies, pixels, tags and other such trackers, that are used to collect different types of data from your web browser, such as:
- What searches you have made.
- What you have visited.
- The browsing history from your browser.
- Your mouse movements.
- Your mouse clicks.
- IP and Mac addresses.
- Your bookmarked websites.
Is Search1.me a Virus?
Search1.me is not a virus. However, the advertisements that this program may be behind could ultimately result in a number of different risky websites popping up on your Mac, like:
- Redirects to dangerous sites via multiple pay-per-click redirects.
- Survey sites that are fraud.
- Rogue software sites.
- Web pages that contain scams.
- Phishing pages.
- URLs, containing a virus infection file or script.
- Tech support fraud pages.
This is the main reason why this software is regarded as indirectly and safe and should be removed immediately from your Mac.
How to Remove Search1.me from Mac?
To remove Search1.me from your Mac, we suggest that you follow the removal instructions that have been laid out we need this article. They have been created to contain all of the steps it takes to remove this risky software from both your Mac in the web browsers that it has impacted. For the most effective removal, security professionals strongly recommend that you use an advanced anti-malware software. Such a program has been designed with the primary idea to thoroughly check your Mac and get rid of any tracking objects, malware and various forms of viruses.
About the Search1.me Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this Search1.me how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on Search1.me?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the Search1.me threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Search1.me and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to Search1.me:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to Search1.me. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to Search1.me. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Search1.me via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as Search1.me. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Search1.me – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Search1.me files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Search1.me, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is Search1.me on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Search1.me on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Search1.me?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Search1.me?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.