What Is SearchBrowserSky
SearchBrowserSky is a potentially unwanted software that has been detected to attack Mac devices. This unwanted program’s main purpose is to create different types of advertisements and these ads may lead to risky websites in some cases. The reason for that is adware apps, like SearchBrowserSky are only created to generate profit to the developers behind them. This is why they may show absolutely any ads without minding what it is they advertise. This is the reason to consider reading this article as it will show you how to remove SearchBrowserSky from your browsers and Mac.
|Type||Browser Hijacker / PUP|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your web browser in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Device Has Been Affected by SearchBrowserSky
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss SearchBrowserSky.|
SearchBrowserSky Mac – What Does It Do?
Once added to your Mac, SearchBrowserSky could begin to perform different ad-supported activities on it. This behavior is very similar to other adware applications, just like this one we have detected on Mac. Such apps are Manager Analog, SimpleSignSearch and OperativeUnit.
The ads that SearchBrowserSky may show once it is set up on your Mac are:
- Banner ads.
- Ad-supported results that appear when you search for something.
- Highlighted text promotions.
- Browser redirection adverts.
- Push notifications.
- Pop-up windows.
But how did you end up having SearchBrowserSky on your Mac and your browsers? The way these software often get added to your computer is they get included in the software installers of other free programs, like free media players, file conversion apps and other such software. You could encounter SearchBrowserSky to be seen in one of the installation steps of these programs to be promoted as a “free extra”. But these install steps are not as easy to detect as they may seem to be, since they are often hidden in the “Custom” or “Advanced” install modes and users often click on “Express” install.
Once this adware is on your computer, it may attack the web browsers Safari, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and others. The main idea is to change their default search, new tab page and other web pages so that you can start seeing different forms of promotions.
The advertisements that could be presented by this software can lead to all types of sites. But since, it is made purely for profit, it is not excluded that those ads could eventually lead to very dangerous websites, such as:
- Phishing pages designed to steal your personal details.
- Scam websites or pages.
- Malicious URLs, containing malware.
- Tech Support scams
- Fake surveys.
This is the main reason to consider removing this potentially unwanted program (PUP) completely from your computer system.
Remove SearchBrowserSky from Your Device
In order to make sure SearchBrowserSky is gone from your machine, we strongly recommend that you follow the removal guide that has been posted below. It contains the necessary steps to help you get rid of this unwanted software from your browsers and machine effectively. For the best results, we recommend removing this virus using an advanced anti-malware software. It will make sure to scan your device and delete any objects and viruses currently residing in it and protect it against any viruses in the future.
About the SearchBrowserSky Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this SearchBrowserSky how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on SearchBrowserSky?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the SearchBrowserSky threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall SearchBrowserSky and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to SearchBrowserSky:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to SearchBrowserSky. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to SearchBrowserSky. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove SearchBrowserSky via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as SearchBrowserSky. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove SearchBrowserSky – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove SearchBrowserSky files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as SearchBrowserSky, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is SearchBrowserSky on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of SearchBrowserSky on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like SearchBrowserSky?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from SearchBrowserSky?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.