|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||The toolbar is powered by Conduit search.|
|Symptoms||The user’s homepage may be changed to Conduit search. System settings may be changed.|
|Distribution Method||Bundling, Conduit bundler/installer, freeware installers.|
|Detection tool||Download Malware Removal Tool, to See If Your System Has Been Affected By MyWebSearch toolbar|
The tb_mywebsearch.exe process belongs to the MyWebSearch toolbar. The executable has been detected by several AV programs as suspicious, potentially unwanted. According to the detection ratio on VirusTotal, the toolbar has a lot to do with the infamous Conduit hijacker. If detected on the system, it should be removed instantly.
MyWebSearch toolbar Description and Detections
The toolbar is not classified as a computer virus, and yet it is detected as a troublesome piece of software.
Here is a list of various AV detections:
- AVG detects it as Generic.834
- ESET-NOD32: a variant of Win32/ClientConnect.A potentially unwanted
- Kaspersky: not-a-virus:WebToolbar.Win32.Agent.avw
- Malwarebytes: PUP.Optional.ClientConnect
- AVware: Conduit (fs)
- Agnitum: PUA.Toolbar.Conduit!
tb_mywebsearch.exe Process Details
- File Type: Executable application (Win32 EXE)
- Bundler/Installer: Conduit Setup Manager (via Nullsoft Install System)
- Common path: C:\users\(username)\downloads\tb_mywebsearch.exe
- Digital Signature: Conduit Ltd.
- Hold the Windows Logo Button and “R” on your keyboard. A Pop-up window will appear (fig.1).
- In the field type in “appwiz.cpl” and press ENTER (fig.2).
- This will open a window with all the programs installed on the PC.
Select the program that you want to remove, and press “Uninstall” (fig.3).
- Move the cursor over “Tools” and then from the extended menu choose “Extensions“
- From the opened “Extensions” menu locate MyWebSearch toolbar and click on the garbage bin icon on the right of it.
- After MyWebSearch toolbar is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red “X” in the top right corner and start it again.
- Click “‘Tools’ to open the drop menu and select ‘Manage Add-ons’
- In the ‘Manage Add-ons’ window, make sure that in the first window ‘Add-on Types’, the drop menu ‘Show’ is on ‘All add-ons’
- Guide 1: How to Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of MyWebSearch toolbar on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove MyWebSearch toolbar in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase MyWebSearch toolbar from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate MyWebSearch toolbar from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable MyWebSearch toolbar Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
MyWebSearch Toolbar Other Specifications
As already mentioned, the toolbar is published and signed by Conduit. It is distributed via the Nullsoft Installer. It may be promoted on various freeware/shareware pages. MyWebSearch Toolbar also has an official website and may be downloaded from there.
Once installed, the user’s home page may be changed to Conduit search:
MyWebSearch Toolbar Removal Options
To sum it up, the toolbar can be classified as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program. To remove it entirely from the system, it is highly recommended to use AV software. Browser hijackers are known to temper with the Windows Registry and cause various system issues. For one, you may witness problems with your Internet Connection.
The good news is you can refer to our removal guide to rid the system of the intrusive toolbar.
Step 1: Remove/Uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar in Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps to remove that program. No matter if you are using Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program get left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, mistakes with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Follow the instructions above and you will successfully uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar.
Step 2: Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from your browser
Select the “Add-ons” icon from the menu
Select MyWebSearch toolbar and click “Remove”
After MyWebSearch toolbar is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red “X” in the top right corner and start it again.
Select MyWebSearch toolbar to remove, and then click ‘Disable’. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected toolbar, and some additional toolbars might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click ‘Disable’.
After MyWebSearch toolbar has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red ‘X’ in the top right corner and start it again.
From the drop menu select ‘Preferences’
In the new window select ‘Extensions’
Click once on MyWebSearch toolbar
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar. Select ‘Uninstall’ again, and the MyWebSearch toolbar will be removed.
In order to remove any associated objects that are left after uninstall and detect any other threats, you should:
Step 3: Start Your PC in Safe Mode to Remove MyWebSearch toolbar.
Removing MyWebSearch toolbar from Windows XP, Vista, 7 systems:
1. Remove all CDs and DVDs, and then Restart your PC from the “Start” menu.
– For PCs with a single operating system: Press “F8” repeatedly after the first boot screen shows up during the restart of your computer. In case the Windows logo appears on the screen, you have to repeat the same task again.
– For PCs with multiple operating systems: Тhe arrow keys will help you select the operating system you prefer to start in Safe Mode. Press “F8” just as described for a single operating system.
3. As the “Advanced Boot Options” screen appears, select the Safe Mode option you want using the arrow keys. As you make your selection, press “Enter“.
4. Log on to your computer using your administrator account
While your computer is in Safe Mode, the words “Safe Mode” will appear in all four corners of your screen.
Removing MyWebSearch toolbar from Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 systems:
Whilst holding down Shift button, click on Power and then click on Restart.
A menu will appear upon reboot. You should choose Safe Mode by pressing its corresponding number and the machine will restart and boot into Safe Mode so you can scan for and remove MyWebSearch toolbar.
Step 4: Remove MyWebSearch toolbar automatically by downloading an advanced anti-malware program.
To clean your computer you should download an updated anti-malware program on a safe PC and then install it on the affected computer in offline mode. After that you should boot into safe mode and scan your computer to remove all MyWebSearch toolbar associated objects.
How to Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove MyWebSearch toolbar
Step 2: Uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by MyWebSearch toolbar on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by MyWebSearch toolbar there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of MyWebSearch toolbar from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
In case you cannot remove MyWebSearch toolbar via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove MyWebSearch toolbar files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as MyWebSearch toolbar, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase MyWebSearch toolbar from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall MyWebSearch toolbar from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove MyWebSearch toolbar from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the MyWebSearch toolbar will be removed.
Eliminate MyWebSearch toolbar from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by MyWebSearch toolbar from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".