What Is AphroditeLookup
AphroditeLookup is the name of a browser hijacker, that has been set up in a way to change the options of your default web browser and begin to influence the content you see daily. The main way apps, like AphroditeLookup are monetized is often by displaying ads that include pay-per-click and other schemes of this kind. The problem with these advertisements is they often could lead to dangerous websites. Such sites often end up being either scam sites or even malware ones. This is the main reason why software, from the likes of AphroditeLookup is often considered indirectly risky for your computer and should be removed as soon as possible.
Read this article to learn more on AphroditeLookup and how to get rid of it completely from your Mac.
|Type||Browser Hijacker / PUP / Scam Redirect|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your web browser in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Device Has Been Affected by AphroditeLookup
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss AphroditeLookup.|
AphroditeLookup Mac Redirect Activity Report
Applications, from the likes of AphroditeLookup are created with several different purposes, the main one of which is to show you ads. These ads are often of the following kinds:
- Text-embedded advertisements.
- Browser pop-ups.
- Banner adverts.
- Redirects and transfers to third-party sites.
- Push notifications promotions.
- Ads appearing instead of search results.
Such apps also include adware, like LogarithmicList, SearchBoosted and ValidManager. These apps typically propagate via software bundling or being added to the setups of a third-party app, downlaoded for free from some shady site.
Not only this, but AphroditeLookup may also employ trackers that are used to obtain the following information from your Mac:
- Pages visited.
- Bookmarked sites.
- Browser history.
- Your clicks made online.
These trackers often are of the following kinds:
- LSOs (Locally Shared Objects, also known as flash cookies).
- Geo-location trackers.
AphroditeLookup is the type of application that may be responsible for some pretty shady sites landing on your Mac, because most of the ads it shows go unchecked. This is how you may start being redirected to:
- Virus domains.
- Phishing or “Fake” sites.
- Scamming sites.
- Tech support scams.
- Rogue software download frauds.
- Endless redirect loop schemes.
- Scam surveys.
This is the primary reason why AphroditeLookup is of no use on your Mac and should be removed from it.
Remove AphroditeLookup from Your Device
AphroditeLookup is the kind of app that not only adds files and trackers to your Mac, but also modifies browsers. This is why to remove it, we would strongly suggest that you follow the removal manual that has been posted underneath this article. It has been created with the main purpose to best assist in detecting and deleting apps, like AphroditeLookup either manually or automatically from your Mac. Furthermore, be advised that the most effective removal method against apps, like AphroditeLookup is to scan your Mac using a special anti-malware app. Such a program is made to effectively scan your macOS and get it rid of pesky apps, malware and trackers automatically.
Steps to Prepare Before Removal:
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall AphroditeLookup and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to AphroditeLookup:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to AphroditeLookup. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to AphroditeLookup. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any leftover files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove AphroditeLookup via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as AphroditeLookup. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove AphroditeLookup – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove AphroditeLookup files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as AphroditeLookup, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Bonus Step: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is AphroditeLookup on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of AphroditeLookup on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like AphroditeLookup?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from AphroditeLookup?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.
About the AphroditeLookup Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this AphroditeLookup how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on AphroditeLookup?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the AphroditeLookup threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021