What Is AresLookupPlatform Mac?
AresLookupPlatform is an adware program for Mac that has also been classified as a PUP by anti-malware tools for macOS. It can be detected on a Mac system without any initial signs of the installation process. The software is not malware but its sole purpose is to show different types of advertisements. The adverts may be related to all types of sources including dangerous sites and misleading landing pages that offer rogue/harmful apps.
Read this article to learn how you can remove AresLookupPlatform adware completely from your Mac.
AresLookupPlatform Mac – Details
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your computer in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your device begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your machine.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by AresLookupPlatform
Malware Removal Tool
AresLookupPlatform Virus – How Did I Get Infected?
AresLookupPlatform belongs to the AdLoad adware apps for Mac. Like some other apps belonging to this family of threats SelectorComponent, EdgeAdvanced and JumpSearch, AresLookupPlatform is very likely to use methods like software bundling to get installed on your Mac:
Another strategy that this application may undertake to enter your Mac is to use web pages that advertise it as an update for fake Adobe Flash Player or some type of software that can help you keep your Mac up-to-date. Usually, these applications often can appear on web pages, like the following:
AresLookupPlatform – What Does It Do?
After this application enters your computer system without any signs, it may begin to modify the settings of your web browsers. Then it can display advertisements like the ones mentioned below:
- Third-party transfers.
- Browser pop-ups.
- Banner promotions.
- Push notification pop-ups.
- Custom search result ads.
- Highlighted text links.
Furthermore, AresLookupPlatform adware could use different types of tracking technologies to obtain various kinds of information concerning what you do online. These types of technologies include cookies. Here is how they look like when added to a web browser:
Tracking technologies are often used by undesired programs for supporting shady advertising campaigns. Hence, they may collect a lot of information from your web browser and you may have no way of knowing what happens next with all those sensitive details of yours:
- Pages you have visited.
- Mouse movements and clicks.
- Websites that are bookmarked.
- Browsing history.
- Search history.
Is AresLookupPlatform a Virus?
No, AresLookupPlatform is not a virus, but it might be just as dangerous for your Mac. The main reason for that is most of the ads it shows could lead to several dangerous websites which could compromise your Mac severely:
- Rogue software or scam software download URLs.
- Scam domains and pages.
- Multiple pay-per-click browser redirects that lead to dangerous sites.
- Scam survey pages.
- Phishing domains.
- Virus websites or malicious URLs.
- Fake tech support pages.
This is why it is strongly recommended to read the following guide as it contains steps that have been created to help you remove the software completely.
How to Remove AresLookupPlatform from Mac?
To remove AresLookupPlatform from both your web browsers and your device, we would strongly recommend that you pay attention to the removal instructions that have been laid out beneath this article. The steps are made with the main idea to best assist you in cleaning up all of the files that are set by the software on your Mac. In order to achieve the best possible removal, security professionals often advise scanning your Mac using an advanced anti-malware program. Such professional security software is designed to clean up all of the junk files and malware from your Mac completely.
About the AresLookupPlatform Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this AresLookupPlatform how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on AresLookupPlatform?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the AresLookupPlatform threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall AresLookupPlatform and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to AresLookupPlatform:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to AresLookupPlatform. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to AresLookupPlatform. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove AresLookupPlatform via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as AresLookupPlatform. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove AresLookupPlatform – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove AresLookupPlatform files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as AresLookupPlatform, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is AresLookupPlatform on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of AresLookupPlatform on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like AresLookupPlatform?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from AresLookupPlatform?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.