What Is CrushArcade Mac?
CrushArcade is the name of an app for Mac that may be ad-supported and is the reason for reports by users that they have seen multiple ads in relation to it. Apps, like CrushArcade, are classified as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Program) and their main idea is to make money via pay-per-click ads and other schemes. The CrushArcade app may not be classified as malware, but the main problems with it make it just as dangerous. The primary problem with it is it could be leading you to risky sites due to the fact that most of the content advertised cannot be verified in any way, which is why its removal is advisable.
Read this article to learn how to remove CrushArcade from your Mac completely.
|Type||Browser Hijacker / PUP for Mac|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your web browser in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by CrushArcade
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss CrushArcade.|
CrushArcade Mac – What Does It Do
CrushArcade is the kind of program that may be installed on your Mac by being included in an install step of a free program you could have recently added. Such free apps often end up being added by being downloaded from third-party sites and they do include often used software, like media players, freeware converters, image editing apps, and others. What may happen is CrushArcade may be in one of the steps advertised as a “free extra” added to the current setup, which is also known as software bundling. And it is not easy to detect it either since it could be somewhere hidden from the conventional “Express” install mode. This behavior is similar to other Mac adware as well, such as WordSearch, YourStreamSearch and SearchesCentral.
CrushArcade is the type of program that has been created to display ads and these ads could contain multiple different trackers that may exist on your Mac. These tracking technologies may be pixels, tags, cookies, geo-locators and may be used to track information of the following kinds:
- The web pages you have advertised.
- Sites you have saved and bookmarked.
- History of your web browser.
- The clicks which you make while online and your browsing session mouse movements.
CrushArcade may be responsible for a number of ads when it is installed on your Mac, such as:
- Pop-ups on your web browser.
- Browser redirects.
- Search result advertisements.
- Highlighted text ads.
- Push notification pop-up ads.
These ads are pushed to make money to the creators of adware, like CrushArcade and these ads are often unchecked and could lead you to dangerous websites, like:
- Redirect loop URLs
- Survey scams.
- Fake tech support sites.
- Sites that offer scam software for download.
- Fraudulent and fake versions of legitimate sites.
- Scamming sites.
- Malware domains.
The main problem with CrushArcade is exactly such risky domains and they should be removed from your Mac as soon as possible.
Remove CrushArcade from Your Device
Apps, from the kind of CrushArcade may place multiple files on your Mac and they can bring more trouble if not removed in time. One way to delete it is if you follow the instructions that have been posted underneath this article. They have both manual and automatic removal strategies. The most effective way to remove apps, like CrushArcade is to do it automatically using advanced anti-malware software to perform the removal for you. Such an app has been programmed to help detect and remove any viruses, adware, and other trackers from your Mac.
About the CrushArcade Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this CrushArcade how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on CrushArcade?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the CrushArcade threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall CrushArcade and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to CrushArcade:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to CrushArcade. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to CrushArcade. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove CrushArcade via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as CrushArcade. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove CrushArcade – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove CrushArcade files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as CrushArcade, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is CrushArcade on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of CrushArcade on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like CrushArcade?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from CrushArcade?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.