What Is DigitalProgram Mac
DigitalProgram is an application that is classified as a low-level type of threat with adware behavior. These applications are commonly known as potentially unwanted programs, also referred to as PUP’s. Their main purpose once they get on your Mac is to begin changing its settings so that they can display various kinds of advertisements unobstructed. These ads could sometimes lead to dangerous websites and this is why these programs are not good for your Mac.
Read this article to learn more information about this program and how you can clean up your macOS and your web browsers from it.
DigitalProgramn Mac – Details
|Type||Adware / PUP / Redirect for Mac|
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your computer in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your device begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your machine.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by DigitalProgram
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss DigitalProgram.|
DigitalProgram Virus – How Did I Get Infected
One of the main ways these applications have been reported to get installed on your Mac is if you have downloaded them in the form of a fake Adobe Flash Player update, from a redirect page, looking like the example below shows:
Another way DigitalProgram could’ve been installed on your Mac without you knowing is if it is hidden in one of the installation steps of some other free application that you may have recently download it from a third-party website. If this is the case, then the example image below describes how this application could appear in one of as an install step:
DigitalProgram – What Does It Do?
Once DigitalProgram ends up being added to your Mac, it may begin to display advertisements of all kinds, but mainly the following types:
- Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
- Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
- Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
- Interruptive banner ads.
- Intrusive push notifications.
DigitalProgram could also use various forms of trackers, like cookies:
These trackers are small files that are left behind on your Mac and can remain for years of time without you noticing it. Adware applications often use them to get information concerning what you do online so that they can target you with more ads, based on your interests. With them, following information could be gathered from your Mac without you even realizing it:
- The browsing history from your browser.
- What searches you have made.
- What you have visited.
- Your mouse movements.
- Your mouse clicks.
- IP and Mac addresses.
- Your bookmarked websites.
Is DigitalProgram a Virus?
No, DigitalProgram is not a virus. The program may be just as dangerous as a virus, however, because some of the advertisements it shows could lead you to websites that are very risky for your device. Such sites could be of the following:
- Rogue software sites.
- Web pages that contain scams.
- Redirects to dangerous sites via multiple pay-per-click redirects.
- Survey sites that are fraud.
- Phishing pages.
- URLs, containing a virus infection file or script.
- Tech support fraud pages.
These are the main problems that make the software indirectly risky for your Mac and its removal is strongly recommended.
How to Remove DigitalProgram from Mac?
To get rid of DigitalProgram completely from your Mac, we would suggest that you take a look at the removal manual below. It has been made to have all of the steps that you need to take care of the street from your web browsers and your Mac. For the most effective removal, more security professionals would recommend scanning your device using anti-malware for Mac. Such a program is specifically created to perform a thorough check of your device and get it rid of any malware automatically.
About the DigitalProgram Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this DigitalProgram how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on DigitalProgram?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the DigitalProgram threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall DigitalProgram and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to DigitalProgram:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to DigitalProgram. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to DigitalProgram. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove DigitalProgram via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as DigitalProgram. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove DigitalProgram – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove DigitalProgram files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as DigitalProgram, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is DigitalProgram on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of DigitalProgram on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like DigitalProgram?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from DigitalProgram?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.