In case you have seen advertisements associated with the name DonutLeads, there is a good chance that you have this potentially unwanted software installed on your computer. The program is believed to be a legitimate tool to help users choose the best service for the job they need to be done. In reality, online security investigators classify the program as a PUP since it is believed to interrupt the browsing process by displaying various ads from unknown sources.
DonutLeads – How Does It Work?
Programs such as DonutLeads may situate itself on user machines via a very widely used method, called bundling. This method includes DonutLeads in the setup program of another freeware software that an average user downloads from the web. Some websites that provide free software may use bundling to generate profits, without actually thinking on what exactly they bundle.
Once DonutLeads has been installed on the user PC it may do several different actions to the user PC:
- Modify the text in a website and create hotlinks embedded in that text that lead to third-party sites.
- Situate LSOs and other types of cookies to track users’ browser searches, clicks and other interests and display ads based on it.
- Display random pop-ups that lead to unknown sites. Sometimes some pop-ups may display malvertising.
- Redirect to survey pages that may collect different user information, falsely promising compensations of some sort.
- Cause PC slowdowns by running background processes in the Windows Task Manager.
- Situate registry keys that may modify settings that make it harder to erase.
This unwanted program may be created with the sole purpose of generating profits through advertisements for its authors. There are several ways for them to do this, and they are all connected with pay-per-click schemes and profit-generating affiliate strategies. Sometimes developers create several different applications that drive traffic to the same websites as parts of contracts. What is risky for the user is that sometimes such sites may be dangerous for their computer. Scams such as fake surveys, fake tech support, rogue antivirus programs that may be malware, viruses, adware PUPs in the form of critical updates are just a small part of the risks that third-party sites pose.
Also, when we examined the software’s website, we have found that it collects and shares user information with third parties:
(Click Image To Enlarge)
This is why security experts recommend for the user to:
- Use international databases that check the validity of sites.
- Stay informed on the latest threats and their methods of infection.
- Always check the types of cookies on a web page (active or session).
- Develop slow and methodological clicking habits.
- Use the necessary antimalware software that will ensure active protection.
DonutLeads Removal Manual
Programs, such as DonutLeads may be tricky to remove if done manually. What should be done is to follow the step-by-step uninstallation guide below to restore your PC to the previous state. Since PUPs have the nasty habits of leaving traces of files on the user PC, concealed in various directories, a professional anti-malware program should be used. It will make sure all of those traces of the program are eradicated and do not affect the computer in any way. Another benefit of having a reputable anti-malware tool is the active and automatic protection it will provide.
Spy Hunter scanner will only detect the threat. If you want the threat to be automatically removed, you need to purchase the full version of the anti-malware tool.Find Out More About SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool / How to Uninstall SpyHunter
- Guide 1: How to Remove DonutLeads from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of DonutLeads from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove DonutLeads from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase DonutLeads from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall DonutLeads from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove DonutLeads from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate DonutLeads from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove DonutLeads from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove DonutLeads
Step 2: Uninstall DonutLeads and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by DonutLeads on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by DonutLeads there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of DonutLeads from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall DonutLeads and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove DonutLeads via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove DonutLeads files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as DonutLeads, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove DonutLeads from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase DonutLeads from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall DonutLeads from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove DonutLeads from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the DonutLeads will be removed.
Eliminate DonutLeads from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.