Ebon Browser is a Firefox-based web browser that can be downloaded from its official website. Although the application is legitimate, malware analysts classify it as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) and recommend its instant removal. Created by Ebonmedia Corp., the Ebon Browser is employed by advertisers as a marketing platform. The application attracts PC users with a personalized start page similar to the Windows 8 menu, but this appealing surface comes with additional functionalities you may not find as pleasant. Your online activities may be disrupted by numerous ad boxes, banners, and contextual ads; various data, both personally identifiable and non-identifiable will be tracked by the Ebon Browser, and eventually shared with third party advertisers. Based on the provided information, the removal of the application is advisory.
How Is the Ebon Browser Distributed?
The Ebon Browser has an official web page where the PC user can download the application for free. Unfortunately, it may end up in your system bundled with freeware like PDF creators, download managers, media players, etc. This stealth installation technique is employed by many software developers to cover losses. The easy way to avoid additional installations is to select the Advanced options and un-checking any suggested plug-ins, add-ons, and apps.
How Does Ebon Browser Affect Your PC?
The installation of the Ebon Browser on your computer may allow the application to modify your current browser settings and assign itself as your default browser. This may trigger redirects to suspicious web pages and expose the system to security risks. You may also start receiving a number of pop-up advertisements that will disrupt your browsing routine.
“Among the kinds of information we track, without limitation, are the following.
- Which Ebon features you use and how often (for instance, how often you use the privacy button, share button, search feature, etc.);
- The amount of time that Ebon runs and the amount of time it is active;
- Ebon crashes and associated conditions around the time of the crash;
- What you’ve selected for certain Ebon preferences and options;
- Which other Internet browsers run on your system, and which browser is set as the default browser; If you choose to use it as default browser, Ebon will automatically import existing preferences, bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies and favorites from your current browser for your convenience
- Your screen resolution, operating system version, CPU and memory configuration of your machine, and other configuration information;
- The number of tabs you have open (but not the sites you have open in those tabs);
- Which partners and pages you visit so we can better tailor and offer you customized rewards;”
Ebon Browser’s Removal
Although the Ebon Browser is a legitimate application, malware experts recommend its removal due to its data-tracking and ad-delivering capabilities. The Ebon Browser can be deleted manually or with an anti-spyware tool. The instructions below will guide you through the removal process.
Spy Hunter scanner will only detect the threat. If you want the threat to be automatically removed, you need to purchase the full version of the anti-malware tool. Find Out More About SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool