Ebon Browser is a Firefox-based web browser that can be downloaded from its official website. Although the application is legitimate, malware analysts classify it as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) and recommend its instant removal. Created by Ebonmedia Corp., the Ebon Browser is employed by advertisers as a marketing platform. The application attracts PC users with a personalized start page similar to the Windows 8 menu, but this appealing surface comes with additional functionalities you may not find as pleasant. Your online activities may be disrupted by numerous ad boxes, banners, and contextual ads; various data, both personally identifiable and non-identifiable will be tracked by the Ebon Browser, and eventually shared with third party advertisers. Based on the provided information, the removal of the application is advisory.
How Is the Ebon Browser Distributed?
The Ebon Browser has an official web page where the PC user can download the application for free. Unfortunately, it may end up in your system bundled with freeware like PDF creators, download managers, media players, etc. This stealth installation technique is employed by many software developers to cover losses. The easy way to avoid additional installations is to select the Advanced options and un-checking any suggested plug-ins, add-ons, and apps.
How Does Ebon Browser Affect Your PC?
The installation of the Ebon Browser on your computer may allow the application to modify your current browser settings and assign itself as your default browser. This may trigger redirects to suspicious web pages and expose the system to security risks. You may also start receiving a number of pop-up advertisements that will disrupt your browsing routine.
“Among the kinds of information we track, without limitation, are the following.
- Which Ebon features you use and how often (for instance, how often you use the privacy button, share button, search feature, etc.);
- The amount of time that Ebon runs and the amount of time it is active;
- Ebon crashes and associated conditions around the time of the crash;
- What you’ve selected for certain Ebon preferences and options;
- Which other Internet browsers run on your system, and which browser is set as the default browser; If you choose to use it as default browser, Ebon will automatically import existing preferences, bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies and favorites from your current browser for your convenience
- Your screen resolution, operating system version, CPU and memory configuration of your machine, and other configuration information;
- The number of tabs you have open (but not the sites you have open in those tabs);
- Which partners and pages you visit so we can better tailor and offer you customized rewards;”
Ebon Browser’s Removal
Although the Ebon Browser is a legitimate application, malware experts recommend its removal due to its data-tracking and ad-delivering capabilities. The Ebon Browser can be deleted manually or with an anti-spyware tool. The instructions below will guide you through the removal process.
Spy Hunter scanner will only detect the threat. If you want the threat to be automatically removed, you need to purchase the full version of the anti-malware tool. Find Out More About SpyHunter Anti-Malware Tool
- Guide 1: How to Remove Ebon Browser from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Ebon Browser on Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Ebon Browser in Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Ebon Browser from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Ebon Browser from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Ebon Browser from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Ebon Browser from Internet Explorer.
- Guide 8: Disable Ebon Browser Push Notifications in Your Browsers.
How to Remove Ebon Browser from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Ebon Browser
Step 2: Uninstall Ebon Browser and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Ebon Browser on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Ebon Browser there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Ebon Browser from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Ebon Browser and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Ebon Browser via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Ebon Browser files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Ebon Browser, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Ebon Browser from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Ebon Browser from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Ebon Browser from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Ebon Browser from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Ebon Browser will be removed.
Eliminate Ebon Browser from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.
Remove Push Notifications caused by Ebon Browser from Your Browsers.
Turn Off Push Notifications from Google Chrome
To disable any Push Notices from Google Chrome browser, please follow the steps below:
Step 1: Go to Settings in Chrome.
Step 2: In Settings, select “Advanced Settings”:
Step 3: Click “Content Settings”:
Step 4: Open “Notifications”:
Step 5: Click the three dots and choose Block, Edit or Remove options:
Remove Push Notifications on Firefox
Step 1: Go to Firefox Options.
Step 2: Go to “Settings”, type “notifications” in the search bar and click "Settings":
Step 3: Click “Remove” on any site you wish notifications gone and click “Save Changes”
Stop Push Notifications on Opera
Step 1: In Opera, press ALT+P to go to Settings
Step 2: In Setting search, type “Content” to go to Content Settings.
Step 3: Open Notifications:
Step 4: Do the same as you did with Google Chrome (explained below):
Eliminate Push Notifications on Safari
Step 1: Open Safari Preferences.
Step 2: Choose the domain from where you like push pop-ups gone and change to "Deny" from "Allow".