YTDownloader is a browser add-on that malware experts consider a PUP (potentially unwanted program) as it is capable of modifying your browser without your permission and exposing you to threats from the Web.
What Is YTDownloader?
The YTDownloader browser add-on enables you to download movies from YouTube. As much as this sounds quite useful and convenient to you, here are some disadvantages that may lower your enthusiasm:
- YTDownloader may hijack your browser and change your default settings and home page.
- It may redirect you to unwanted websites that appear to be affiliated advertisers.
- It is capable of displaying unwanted ads in the form of banners and in-text links into unrelated web content.
- You may experience high response time of the websites you are trying to reach and even random crashes.
The above traits may not be real threats for your system, but let us now explain how YTDownloader enters your system:
How Is YTDownloader Distributed?
YTDownloader may be downloaded independently from its official website. However, it is often installed bundled with other programs such as Downloadcamp.com, 5-pn-installer.com and 2-fusioninstall.com. The thing about bundling is that in most cases when you download a free program, you are unaware that it is bundled with other programs. That is why you rarely pay attention to the installation process and automatically accept the default installation settings. These default or “recommended” settings usually contain information about the bundling. In order to avoid having additional programs installed on your PC, you must simply disable them, and choose “custom” or “advanced” options instead.
Should You Remove YTDownloader?
Although bundling is a legal way of distributing various types of software and YTDownloader does provide real value to its users, malware experts consider YTDownloader a PUP because:
- It exposes your system to risks by redirecting you to unwanted and potentially corrupted websites to gain revenue for third parties.
- It may sneak into your PC whether you want it or not.
- Considering the above, you must weigh the risk of having YTDownloader on your PC for yourself. If the browser add-on’s benefits are more significant to you than its negatives, keep it. Our experts, however, recommend its removal – just to ensure your peace of mind.
In order to do so, you can follow the manual instructions below. In case you don’t feel technically confident, use our anti-malware tool.