The Bongacams Phishing Virus is a popular web threat which is spread across the Internet posing as an official adult videos site. The many virus samples are fake copies and/or attempt to fraud the victims into believing that they have accessed a safe resource. Read our in-depth Bongacams Phishing Virus removal guide to learn how to protect yourself from danger.
|Name||Bongacams Phishing Virus|
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Xtube download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Bongacams Phishing Virus |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Bongacams Phishing Virus.|
Bongacams Phishing Virus – How Did I Get It
The Bongacams phishing virus as a malware threat which can take many forms can be devised by different hacking groups. This means that at one time there can be multiple infections active across the world. Every single one o them may be orchestrated by a different hacker (or group of hackers) and have different intentions.
A common tactic is the coordination of email-based phishing campaigns which in this case can be made to look like exclusive offers from the site, password reset reminders and other common message notifications.
The other technique which is used by the hackers is the creation of many malware web portals that will imitate the real Bongacams site. The fake pages are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names and may even have security certificates that can be either stolen or self-signed.
All of the phishing pages can be linked by other threats and even placed in adware content. This will make the infections more easily obtainable. If this route is taken then the links to the pages can be embedded across multiple adware presentation content: text links, pop-ups, banners and etc.
The delivery of the virus can also be made through various executable files of which there are two main types:
- Macro-Infected Documents — They can be of one of the many popular document formats: presentations, databases, text files and spreadsheets. As soon as they are opened by the victims a prompt will be generated which will request that they enable the built-in code. The quoted reason for enabling it is the notification that this is required in order to correctly view the document.
- Software Installers — The bundle installers are made by taking the legitimate setup files from their official sources and modifying them to include the necessary code changes. The files can be of different applications such as creativity suites, productivity and office apps and even computer games. The Bongacams phishing virus in this case can take the form of special web-cam related or adult videos helper tools.
All of these files can be spread over file-sharing networks such as BitTorrent where both pirate and legitimate files are found.
To facilitate a larger infection the hackers may also integrate the code into browser hijackers which are dangerous plugins made compatible with the most popular web browsers. They are commonly found posted on the repositories of the associated programs with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their descriptions will promise new features addition and performance optimizations. As soon as they are installed the infection will occur.
The dangerous fact associated with Bongacams phishing virus threats is that it is tries to imitate one of the most popular adult video portals. As such links to it can be posted on various online communities such as forums, chat rooms and social networks.
Bongacams Phishing Virus – What Does It Do?
The Bongacams phishing virus will lead to multiple malicious actions depending on the exact type of acquired strain. The web-based threats will likely redirect the victims to a specific hacker-controlled page. As we reported earlier this will spawn a hacker-controlled phishing page or malware site. There are several dangers associated with them:
- Adware Content — The hackers may use the Bongacams redirect in order to display various adware. For every made presentation the page operators will receive a small income and the ads can take multiple forms including the following: pop-ups, banners, text links and etc.
- Phishing Login Pages — A large part of the Bongacams virus sites is phishing activity. The criminals will have constructed login pages that seek to impersonate the login pages of the adult web cam site. The hackers will not only attempt to hijack information related to the registered profiles, but also private information that can be used for other criminal activities. The pages will request data such as a person’s name, address, telephone number and other commonly entered registration data.
- Malicious Content — Along with the phishing and adware content the hackers may insert all kinds of direct malware scripts or link viruses in the pages. This may be either done automatically upon page visiting or when a certain actions is done, for example a user click. The malware deployment can take various forms including Trojans or cryptocurrency miners.
- User Tracking — The Bongacams phishing virus sites can also deliver tracking cookies and other technologies that can monitor the interactions of the visitors and report it to the hackers in real-time.
On the other hand the executable version and all file-based Bongacams viruses may lead to much more serious system issues. The dangerous fact concerning them is that they can take many forms and can mask as both data that is related to the site or not. For example the macro-infected documents can be messages, notifications or offers. The application bundle installers can mask themselves as software that is related to web cam operations, “site optimizers” and even “token generators”.
A popular malware action which is done by most threats is the manipulation of the boot options in order to automatically start the virus as soon as the computer is powered on. In some cases the malware may also disable access to the recovery boot options which will render most manual user recovery guides non-working.
Following the initial intrusion the majority of Bongacams executable viruses can lead to further system changes. Depending on the exact version, local conditions or specific hacker instructions.
An associated data gathering process may be launched which will harvest data that can be grouped into two main types:
- Personal User Information — Using certain strings queries the hackers can create a complete profile of the victims. This can include a person’s name, address, telephone number and even any stored account credentials.
- Machine Information — The Bongacams phishing virus can also generate a complete profile of the installed hardware components. The collected information can then be processed by another module called security bypass. It is designed to search the infected host for any security software that can block the virus, the found applications will be bypassed or fully removed. A list of the most common ones is the following: anti-virus programs, firewalls, sandbox and debug environments and virtual machine hosts. The data concerning the machine can also result in the creation of an unique ID that can be associated with every infected host.
Following this the executable version of the Bongacams phishing virus can also commit Windows Registry changes. This can lead to the creation of values that are associated with the virus itself or the modification of existing entries. The consequences of this action will lead to data loss, performance and stability issues and unexpected errors.
Various malware can be implanted by active infections including Trojan horses. They work by establishing a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server thereby allowing the operators to spy on the victims, steal their files and taking over control of their computers at any time. The other popular payload which can be delivered is the cryptocurrency miner, a mostly web-based threat. They are small scripts or standalone applications that will download a sequence of small tasks that will place a heavy impact on the performance of the machine: the CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. This can make the host practically unusable while the infection is still active. For every completed task the hackers will receive currency in the form of cryptocurrency that will be directly wired to their digital wallets.
As the infections can take many forms we advise everyone to use a professional-grade anti-malware solution in order to protect themselves from them. This solution will also be able to remove all active infections.
Remove Bongacams Phishing Virus from Your Machine
In order to be able to remove Bongacams Phishing Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Bongacams Phishing Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Bongacams Phishing Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.