The Bongacams virus is a popular phishing scam that imitates a legitimate adult videos site. The real Bongacams.com site is not affiliated with the many fake copies of it which are created by different hacker groups. A large part of the infections may have been caused by web browser hijackers which are malware-infected plugins.
|Type||Redirect, Browser Hijacker|
|Short Description||Redirect Virus that takes advantage of the legitimate and famous Xtube download portal.|
|Symptoms||The symptoms may be ranging from seeing redirects to having symptom-less Trojan on your computer.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Bongacams Virus.|
Bongacams Phishing Virus – How Did I Get It
The Bongacams virus as a malware threat which can take many forms can be devised by different hacking groups. This means that at one time there can be multiple infections active across the world. Every single one o them may be orchestrated by a different hacker (or group of hackers) and have different intentions.
A common tactic is the coordination of email-based phishing campaigns which in this case can be made to look like exclusive offers from the site, password reset reminders and other common message notifications.
Currently existing malware infections may additionally trigger the phishing landing web page display. This is typically the case with Trojan horse clients. They will certainly configuration a protected as well as constant link to a hacker-controlled web server and enable the operators to spy on the targets, overtake control of their computers and additionally hijack info. As soon as control of the makers has been gotten the cyberpunks can automatically open the internet browser window or when certain events are called by the sufferer users.
The other technique which is used by the hackers is the creation of many malware web portals that will imitate the real Bongacams.com site. The fake pages are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names and may even have security certificates that can be either stolen or self-signed.
All of the fake Bongacams.com pages can be linked by other threats and even placed in adware content. This will make the infections more easily obtainable. If this route is taken then the links to the pages can be embedded across multiple adware presentation content: text links, pop-ups, banners and etc.
The delivery of the virus can also be made through various executable files of which there are two main types:
- Macro-Infected Documents — They can be of one of the many popular document formats: presentations, databases, text files and spreadsheets. As soon as they are opened by the victims a prompt will be generated which will request that they enable the built-in code. The quoted reason for enabling it is the notification that this is required in order to correctly view the document.
- Software Installers — The bundle installers are made by taking the legitimate setup files from their official sources and modifying them to include the necessary code changes. The files can be of different applications such as creativity suites, productivity and office apps and even computer games. The Bongacams phishing virus in this case can take the form of special web-cam related or adult videos helper tools.
All of these files can be spread over file-sharing networks such as BitTorrent where both pirate and legitimate files are found.
To facilitate a larger infection the hackers may also integrate the code into browser hijackers which are dangerous plugins made compatible with the most popular web browsers. They are commonly found posted on the repositories of the associated programs with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their descriptions will promise new features addition and performance optimizations. As soon as they are installed the infection will occur.
The dangerous fact associated with Bongacams virus threats is that it is tries to imitate one of the most popular adult video portals. As such links to it can be posted on various online communities such as forums, chat rooms and social networks.
Bongacams Virus (Bongacams.com Scam Pages) – What Does It Do?
The Bongacams virus will lead to multiple malicious actions depending on the exact type of acquired strain. The web-based threats will likely redirect the victims to a specific hacker-controlled page. As we reported earlier this will spawn a hacker-controlled phishing page or malware site. There are several dangers associated with them:
- Adware Content — The hackers may use the Bongacams redirect in order to display various adware. For every made presentation the page operators will receive a small income and the ads can take multiple forms including the following: pop-ups, banners, text links and etc.
- Phishing Login Pages — A large part of the Bongacams virus sites is phishing activity. The criminals will have constructed login pages that seek to impersonate the login pages of the adult web cam site. The hackers will not only attempt to hijack information related to the registered profiles, but also private information that can be used for other criminal activities. The pages will request data such as a person’s name, address, telephone number and other commonly entered registration data.
- Malicious Content — Along with the phishing and adware content the hackers may insert all kinds of direct malware scripts or link viruses in the pages. This may be either done automatically upon page visiting or when a certain actions is done, for example a user click. The malware deployment can take various forms including Trojans or cryptocurrency miners.
- User Tracking — The Bongacams malware sites can also deliver tracking cookies and other technologies that can monitor the interactions of the visitors and report it to the hackers in real-time.
On the other hand the executable version and all file-based Bongacams viruses may lead to much more serious system issues. The dangerous fact concerning them is that they can take many forms and can mask as both data that is related to the site or not. For example the macro-infected documents can be messages, notifications or offers. The application bundle installers can mask themselves as software that is related to web cam operations, “site optimizers” and even “token generators”.
A popular malware action which is done by most threats is the manipulation of the boot options in order to automatically start the virus as soon as the computer is powered on. In some cases the malware may also disable access to the recovery boot options which will render most manual user recovery guides non-working.
Following the initial intrusion the majority of Bongacams executable viruses can lead to further system changes. Depending on the exact version, local conditions or specific hacker instructions.
An associated data gathering process may be launched which will harvest data that can be grouped into two main types:
- Personal User Information — Using certain strings queries the hackers can create a complete profile of the victims. This can include a person’s name, address, telephone number and even any stored account credentials.
- Machine Information — The Bongacams phishing virus can also generate a complete profile of the installed hardware components. The collected information can then be processed by another module called security bypass. It is designed to search the infected host for any security software that can block the virus, the found applications will be bypassed or fully removed. A list of the most common ones is the following: anti-virus programs, firewalls, sandbox and debug environments and virtual machine hosts. The data concerning the machine can also result in the creation of an unique ID that can be associated with every infected host.
Following this the executable version of the Bongacams phishing virus can also commit Windows Registry changes. This can lead to the creation of values that are associated with the virus itself or the modification of existing entries. The consequences of this action will lead to data loss, performance and stability issues and unexpected errors.
Various malware can be implanted by active infections including Trojan horses. They work by establishing a secure connection to a hacker-controlled server thereby allowing the operators to spy on the victims, steal their files and taking over control of their computers at any time. The other popular payload which can be delivered is the cryptocurrency miner, a mostly web-based threat. They are small scripts or standalone applications that will download a sequence of small tasks that will place a heavy impact on the performance of the machine: the CPU, memory, hard disk space and etc. This can make the host practically unusable while the infection is still active. For every completed task the hackers will receive currency in the form of cryptocurrency that will be directly wired to their digital wallets.
As the infections can take many forms we advise everyone to use a professional-grade anti-malware solution in order to protect themselves from them. This solution will also be able to remove all active infections.
Remove Bongacams Virus from Your Computer
In order to be able to remove Bongacams Phishing Virus, you should know where it’s files and objects are hidden. The main idea is to follow the removal steps below. They are made to help you isolate the virus and detect and delete the malicious files. For the complete detection and removal of Bongacams Phishing Virus, however, we strongly suggest that you download and run a free scan with an advanced anti-malware software. Such tool will automatically identify and eliminate all of the virus files and objects, related to any Bongacams Phishing Virus from your computer plus protect it in the future too.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Bongacams Virus from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Bongacams Virus from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Bongacams Virus from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Bongacams Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Bongacams Virus from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Bongacams Virus from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Bongacams Virus from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Bongacams Virus from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Bongacams Virus
Step 2: Uninstall Bongacams Virus and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Bongacams Virus on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Bongacams Virus there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Bongacams Virus from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Bongacams Virus and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Bongacams Virus via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Bongacams Virus from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Bongacams Virus from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Bongacams Virus from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Bongacams Virus from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Bongacams Virus will be removed.
Eliminate Bongacams Virus from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.