What Is CallMe Trojan?
CallMe Trojan is the type of threat that is oriented towards your information. It may enter your Mac without being detected and steal files, passwords, and other details from it. To achieve this goal, CallMe Trojan uses sophisticated code that hides it and makes it appear like a legitimate document or an app.
CallMe Trojan is also known as a Trojan.macOS.CallMe.A and is a dangerous strain of malware that drops multiple files in your Mac, and these files are then used to snoop information from macOS. This information may be relayed in real-time to the hackers who have created this infection, and they may assume control over your Mac and accounts eventually. Read this removal article to learn more about CallMe Trojan and how you can remove it from your computer.
CallMe Trojan Summary
|Name||CallMe Trojan also known as Trojan.MacOS.CallMe, Trojan.MacOS.CallMe.A, Backdoor.MacOSX.CallMe, Backdoor:MacOS/CallMe, Backdoor, OSX.CallMe, MacOS/CallMe|
|Type||Mac Trojan / Backdoor|
|Short Description||CallMe has the capability of performing a wide variety of spyware and malware activities on your Mac.|
|Symptoms||CallMe Trojan may not appear directly, but it could show up on your Mac via suspicious processes running on your Activity Monitor.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installers, Suspicious Sites, Malicious attachments|
See If Your macOS System Has Been Affected by CallMe Trojan
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss CallMe Trojan.|
CallMe Trojan – What Does It Do?
CallMe Trojan may infect your Mac via different means, the primary of which is to use e-mail attachment files that only seem like they are legitimate. Such can pretend to be files of different types, for example:
- Bank statement.
- Purchase revoked.
- Flight ticket.
As soon as it has infected your Mac, the CallMe Trojan may run a process in the Activity Monitor. This may allow this app to run different scripts. These scripts are responsible for dropping the virus files in your system folders of macOS and obtaining information about your Mac, such as:
- What version is your macOS.
- Your language and location.
- RAM size.
- IP and MAC address.
These details may help the CallMe virus to perform its virus activities with greater efficiency and still remain undetected. The main idea here is that this virus may perform a wide range of activities while remaining under the radar. Such can be all actions that are related to remote controlling your Mac:
- Send info on running processes.
- Steal and send documents to the hackers’ server.
- Switch your Mac on or off.
- Run or remove apps.
- Open and close files.
- Gather details on your macOS.
- Stop processes in Activity Monitor.
- Use your microphone and camera.
These activities may be the least of your worries because the CallMe Trojan may also download other viruses on your Ma. These viruses may be responsible for another set of virus actions on their own. This is the main reason why you should check your Mac for the CallMe virus and remove its nasty files.
Get Rid Of CallMe Trojan from Your Mac
In order to get rid of this nasty Trojan Horse from your macOS, we recommend that you follow the removal manual below. But detecting such Trojans may be very difficult as they are developed to stay silent on your Mac for as long as possible. This is why security experts recommend scanning your Mac by using advanced anti-malware software. It will take care of the detection and elimination of CallMe Trojan from any macOS and make sure the device is protected.
About the CallMe Trojan Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this CallMe Trojan how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on CallMe Trojan?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the CallMe Trojan threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall CallMe Trojan and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to CallMe Trojan:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to CallMe Trojan. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to CallMe Trojan. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove CallMe Trojan via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as CallMe Trojan. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove CallMe Trojan – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove CallMe Trojan files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as CallMe Trojan, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
CallMe Trojan FAQ
What is CallMe Trojan on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of CallMe Trojan on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like CallMe Trojan?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from CallMe Trojan?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.