This article has been created in order to explain to you what is the Earn Bitcoin Scam and how you can remove them as well as all potentially unwanted programs delivered through them.
The Earn Bitcoin Scam is a popular malware tactic that attempts to manipulate computer users into infecting themselves with viruses. At the moment we do not have information about the perpetrators behind it. Our article gives an in-depth explanation of how it propagates and how victims can attempt to remove active infections.
|Name||Earn Bitcoin Scam|
|Type||Phishing email scam|
|Short Description||The Earn Bitcoin Scam is a recent example of the scam tactic that extorts the targets into interacting with a scam site.|
|Symptoms||Victims will receive email messages that contain the phishing instructions.|
|Distribution Method||Phishing emails.|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Earn Bitcoin Scam.|
Earn Bitcoin Scam – Distribution Ways
This particular Earn Bitcoin Scam is being spread using a targeted campaign designed to trick the victims into downloading a software called Bitcoin Collector. They are led to believe that by using it they can generate free Bitcoins easily. At this moment the main method used by the criminal collective is the crafting of malicious phishing sites that focus heavily on search engine optimization. They contain design elements and are hosted on safe sounding domain names with the intent of manipulating the visitors into believing that this is a legitimate way of acquiring the cryptocurrency.
The users can be redirected to the site via referrals by the site or via messages received in social networks. One of the clever tactics employed by the the hackers behind this scam is the ability to generate referral links that will manipulate the visitors into thinking that they can earn more by sending it to their friends.
The visitors will be lead to a download page and instructions on how and why to download a program called Bitcoin Collector, the hackers also include a VirusTotal link claiming it to be a safe application.
We anticipate that other distribution techniques can be used as well, common ones are the following:
- Malware Documents — The hackers can embed virus installation scripts into the most popular document format types: presentations, rich text documents, spreadsheets and databases. When they are opened by the victims a notification prompt will spawn asking for permissions to run the built-in scripts, this will trigger the program installation.
- Application Installers — The criminals may also craft malware setup files of popular applications which are commonly installed by end users.
- Browser Hijackers — The hackers may also create dangerous browser plugins which are alternatively known as “hijackers” and seek to make the users think that they are downloading a legitimate and useful browser extension. These hijackers are widely spread on the relevant repositories of the most popular web browsers: This is done with fake user reviews and developer credentials an elaborate descriptions.
The end goal of the hackers is to trick the recipients into downloading an archive, extracting it to a folder and launching the end malware called “Bot Collector”.
Earn Bitcoin Scam – In-Depth Overview
As soon as the computer users fall victim to the Earn Bitcoin Scam and start the “Bot Collector” program they will see an application window called “Freebitco.in – Bot” which appears inactive during most of the time. However as soon as it is launched it launch a malware payload, in the case of the analyzed samples a Trojan module. This means that the the virus instance will establish a secure connection with a hacker-controlled server allowing the criminals to spy on the victims, steal their files and deploy other threats.
An alternative behavior pattern is to deploy a ransomware infection — this is done by processing user data according to a built-in list of target file type extensions. The affected data may be renamed with a certain extension and a ransom note will be crafted in order to blackmail the victims into paying the criminals a decryption fee.
Other consequences which can happen to the victims include malicious behavior such as the following:
- Data Retrieval — The Earn Bitcoin Scam and the associated malware code and programs can be used to hijack sensitive information which can be used both to identify the victims and create an unique ID that can be assigned to each infected host.
- Windows Registry Modifications — The engine can create new strings for the infection or modify existing ones. This can lead to serious performance issues, data loss and unexpected errors.
- Boot Options — In certain situations the hackers may also make the scripts to automatically start as soon as the computer is powered on. This can also be used to make it more difficult to remove the active infections by blocking access to the boot recovery options.
We advice that all users remove the malware associated with the Earn Bitcoin Scam to protect their computers from further damage.
Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Windows and Your Browser
If you want to remove the Earn Bitcoin Scam from your computer, we strongly suggest that you follow the removal instructions posted underneath this article. They have been created with the main idea In mind to help you delete this virus either manually or automatically. Be advised that according to experts the best way to try and remove the software that is causing the Earn Bitcoin Scamming pop-ups is to use an advanced anti-malware software. Such program is created with the idea in mind to fully scan your computer and try to eliminate any traces of unwanted programs while protecting your computer against future infections as well.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Earn Bitcoin Scam from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Earn Bitcoin Scam from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Earn Bitcoin Scam from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Earn Bitcoin Scam from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Earn Bitcoin Scam
Step 2: Uninstall Earn Bitcoin Scam and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Earn Bitcoin Scam on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Earn Bitcoin Scam there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Earn Bitcoin Scam from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Earn Bitcoin Scam and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Earn Bitcoin Scam via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove Earn Bitcoin Scam files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Earn Bitcoin Scam, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Earn Bitcoin Scam from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Earn Bitcoin Scam from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Earn Bitcoin Scam from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Earn Bitcoin Scam will be removed.
Eliminate Earn Bitcoin Scam from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.