If you are seeing pop-up windows prompting you to call a toll-free number – 1-800-311-5943 – you should be aware that your browser has been affected by ad-supported software.
|Type||fake tech support, pop ups|
|Short Description||A fake tech support line prompting the user to call 1-800-311-5943.|
|Symptoms||Intrusive pop-up alerts about threats detected on the system, promoting a fake tech support line.|
|Distribution Method||Bundling and freeware installers, suspicious websites, p2p file sharing, etc.|
|Detection Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool, to See If Your System Has Been Affected by 1-800-311-5943|
|User Experience||Join our forum to follow the discussion about 1-800-311-5943.|
Pop-up alerts regarding viruses discovered on your system were generated, as a result of the riskware’s infiltration. Because of its intrusive and aggressive behavior, ad-supported software a.k.a. adware is often referred as riskware. However, in the matter of fake pop-up and virus alerts, ad-supported software is more dangerous than usual. It prompts the user to call fake numbers, and it can even trick him into giving away his banking credentials. If a pop-up alert promoting the 1-800-311-5943 number has interrupted your browsing activities, you should proceed towards scanning your system as soon as possible.
1-800-311-5943 Pop-Ups Distribution Method
As we already mentioned in the first paragraph, fake virus alerts are typically brought by adware. If you are already affected by an ad-supported extension or a browser hijacker, usually downloaded in bundled freeware installers, any of the following may have activated the scam:
- Clicking on random pop-up ads promoting rogue software products. Keep in mind that the 1-800-311-5943 pop-ups may have been provoked by a rogue anti-virus program. Rogue AV software usually imitates big AV software providers, including products by Microsoft, but it is not to be trusted.
- Landing on suspicious websites employed for phishing and other forms of social engineering. Avoid clicking on random pop-up windows, caused by unsafe redirects to predefined pages. Many interactive websites, such as pages for watching video content online, are ad-supported and generate annoying pop-up and pop-under windows, in-text ads, and banners.
- Using p2p file sharing platforms, torrents, .exe files. Even though peer-to-peer connections are usually deployed to spread malicious software, it is still possible that a corrupted torrent may have brought the 1-800-311-5943 pop-ups. Avoid downloading from unsafe sources. If you are suspicious about a particular .exe file, you can upload it on VirusTotal and make sure it is not infected.
1-800-311-5943 Pop-Ups Removal Options. Prevention Tips
Ad-supported extensions can be removed manually from the system and the browser. However, removing the particular piece generating the 1-800-311-5943 alerts may not be enough. To recover the system fully, scanning it via AV software is highly recommended. This is what malware researchers have concluded:
- Adware increases the system’s susceptibility to malware. Suspicious applications generate multiple pop-up windows. Interacting with them may link the user to compromised websites.
- Adware may temper with the Windows Registry and add new registry keys without the user’s knowledge. Also, the program may be designed to run automatically on every system reboot.
The conclusion is quite obvious – adware is not malicious but it is definitely crafted to harm the user’s machine, and often his credit card balance. To avoid being affected, and to minimize the outcomes of the suspicious intruder, be careful with freeware installations and stay away from scamming websites.
The STF team of researchers has compiled several easy-to-follow steps that should clean the system of adware traces. And don’t forget – prevention is the best security measure. In other words, AV software that runs in real time and immediately detects new threats, such as the 1-800-311-5943 scam, is the best guardian against malware of all kinds.
Step 1: Remove/Uninstall 1-800-311-5943 in Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps to remove that program. No matter if you are using Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program get left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, mistakes with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Select the program that you want to remove, and press “Uninstall” (fig.3).
Follow the instructions above and you will successfully uninstall 1-800-311-5943.
Step 2: Remove 1-800-311-5943 from your browser
Select the “Add-ons” icon from the menu
Select 1-800-311-5943 and click “Remove”
After 1-800-311-5943 is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red “X” in the top right corner and start it again.
Select 1-800-311-5943 to remove, and then click ‘Disable’. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected toolbar, and some additional toolbars might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click ‘Disable’.
After 1-800-311-5943 has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red ‘X’ in the top right corner and start it again.
From the drop menu select ‘Preferences’
In the new window select ‘Extensions’
Click once on 1-800-311-5943
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall 1-800-311-5943. Select ‘Uninstall’ again, and the 1-800-311-5943 will be removed.
Step 3: Remove 1-800-311-5943 automatically by downloading an advanced anti-malware program.
To clean your computer you should download an updated anti-malware program on a safe PC and then install it on the affected computer in offline mode. After that you should boot into safe mode and scan your computer to remove all 1-800-311-5943 associated objects.