What Is MacSoftDownload.com Mac
MacSoftDownload.com is the kind of website, which appears to show legitimate software downloads for cracked applications, but in reality, this website may push third-party ads and cause browser redirects to sites, that may turn out to be unsafe. This is why, it is strongly recommended to clean up your computer if you have downloaded any software as a result of MacSoftDownload.com redirects.
Read this article to understand more about MacSoftDownload.com and how to remove it from your Mac and fix your browsers to stop its ads.
MacSoftDownload.com Mac – Details
|Type||Malware / PUP / Auto-Download / Redirect for Mac|
|Short Description||May change multiple settings on your web browsers and macOS in order to begin slithering a lot of different ads. .|
|Symptoms||You may begin to witness a lot of ads on the web browsers of your Mac and questionable software may be downloaded as a result of that.|
|Distribution Method||Via fake updates or downloads from shady sites, via software bundling, via automatic push notifications script|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by MacSoftDownload.com
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss MacSoftDownload.com.|
MacSoftDownload.com Virus – How Did I Get Infected
MacSoftDownload.com is a website that may appear like a useful domain, but has been reported to be causing redirects to questionable websites and be tied to a PUP type of software.
MacSoftDownload.com or the software that could have started showing it on your Mac may have arrived there as a result of bundling. This means it may have been included in the software setups of another freeware applications you may have downloaded, like a free media player, image editor, file converter, video editing software, downloader app from a certain site and others. The main way this works is for the adware app to be added in one of the installation steps, where it likely pretends to be a free extra or “optional offer” of some sort:
MacSoftDownload.com may also push redirects to pages that appear, like the official Adobe Flash Player update web page, which may look like the following:
MacSoftDownload.com Mac – What Does It Do?
MacSoftDownload.com or the program that may have brought it on your browser may be responsible for performing certain modifications of your web browsers, that include adding cookies, browser extensions and changing settings, like the default home page, new tab page and others of these kinds. The main problems that may be caused by this is you starting to see a lot of unauthorised ads, like:
- Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
- Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
- Intrusive push notifications.
- Interruptive banner ads.
- Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
MacSoftDownload.com is the kind of application that could use multiple types of tracking objects that are dropped on your Mac as soon as you open it:
These are small objects that are utilized for different kinds of data collection activities, which can ulitimately result in the following details to be gathered without your authorization:
- The browsing history from your browser.
- IP and Mac addresses.
- Your mouse movements.
- What searches you have made.
- Your bookmarked websites.
- What you have visited.
- Your mouse clicks.
- Different personally identifiable information you may type.
Is MacSoftDownload.com a Virus?
MacSoftDownload.com is not regarded to be a virus. However, the application is reported to be adware – related, since the ads it causes have the capability of redirecting you to dangerous websites, such as:
- Rogue software download sites.
- Tech support fraud pages.
- Survey sites that are fraud.
- Phishing pages.
- URLs, containing a virus infection file or script.
- Web pages that contain scams.
- Redirects to dangerous sites via multiple pay-per-click redirects.
These malvertising activities performed by sites, like MacSoftDownload.com may make it indirectly dangerous for your Mac, which is why the redirects there are regarded as unsafe. A clean up of your Mac is strongly advisable in case you have visited it.
How to Remove MacSoftDownload.com from Mac?
MacSoftDownload.com and any software that may have been downloaded on your computer as a result of its redirects can be deleted if you follow the steps underneath this article. They are made to help manually or automatically get rid of MacSoftDownload.com from your device. If you want to remove any software that may have been downloaded on your Mac or stop any types of ads from your browsers, then the best way to do it is to use a professional anti-malware software. This is the type of security tool, that has been created mainly to help you get rid of this nasty software from your Mac and any other malware or adware that may currently be affecting it by running an automated scan of macOS.
About the MacSoftDownload.com Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this MacSoftDownload.com how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on MacSoftDownload.com?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the MacSoftDownload.com threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall MacSoftDownload.com and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to MacSoftDownload.com:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to MacSoftDownload.com. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to MacSoftDownload.com. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove MacSoftDownload.com via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as MacSoftDownload.com. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove MacSoftDownload.com – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove MacSoftDownload.com files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as MacSoftDownload.com, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is MacSoftDownload.com on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of MacSoftDownload.com on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like MacSoftDownload.com?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from MacSoftDownload.com?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.