Perfect PC Cleanup is a program that pretends to be a PC optimizer that enhances system performance. But is Perfect PC Cleanup a safe program? In fact, it is categorized as rogue software with fraudulent behavior. Researchers outline that it could be set to display fake system issues in order to trick you into purchasing its full version. Unfortunately, it may sneak into your system and run its installation files without asking you for permission. In case that you see this program running on your machine, you should remove it before it takes the chance to cause some serious security and privacy related issues.
|Name||Perfect PC Cleanup|
|Type||Rogue application, PUP|
|Short Description||The application attempts to deceive users that it is a legitimate and useful system optimization utility.|
|Symptoms||Intrusive pop-ups, performance issues.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Perfect PC Cleanup |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Perfect PC Cleanup.|
Perfect PC Cleanup — Distribution
One of the places where the Perfect PC Cleanup utility can be downloaded is a download page — hosted either on a domain name that uses its name or fake/compromised portals. The criminals can create portals with security certificates, long and detailed contents that advertise the tool.
To make it more well-known among more people the actors behind the malicious copies of Perfect PC Cleanup may also coordinate email SPAM messages. They are sent in bulk and may include warnings of forthcoming infections in order to advertise the software. In some cases the actors can make the messages look as they have been sent by a company or service they use.
Links to the hacker-controlled sites can be boosted by using scripts — redirects, pop-ups, banners, in-line links and etc. The creators of the malicious samples can also use stolen or fake accounts and post links leading to the dangerous samples via social networks and online communities.
A very popular technique for spreading such applications is to use payload delivery files. There are two popular types:
- Documents — The actors behind the Perfect PC Cleanup can embed its installation script into documents of all kinds: presentations, rich text documents, databases and spreadsheets. When they are opened a notification prompt will appear asking them to enable the built-in macros. When this is done the code will download and install the infection.
- Browser Hijackers — The application can be delivered through a malicious web browser plugin which is advertised as an useful addition to the popular web browsers. They are uploaded to the relevant repositories using fake or stolen user reviews and developer credentials. Whenever they are installed their code will include instructions to modify the system and deliver the application.
Many infections are caused due to app bundles — legitimate setup files are modified to also include the Perfect PC Cleanup software as part of the setup process.
Perfect PC Cleanup — More About Its Impact
The Perfect PC Cleanup is a system utility that has been detected to include malicious code in some of its samples. This does not specifically mean that the main application by itself is a virus, but merely that hackers have created such iterations.
The malware Perfect PC Cleanup copies are heavily advertised as as a quality system utility that can optimize the target computers. There are 5 main areas that the app is advertised to help manage: Clean up disk space, Fix Issues with Live Support, High quality protection against malwares, Enhance PC Performance and Remove registry junks.
Symptoms of infections with fake applications may include any of the following:
- Failure to Optimize — Even after the various functions are accessed the computer will not be optimized.
- Advertisements — Many fake applications similar to the malicious copies of Perfect PC Cleanup will display ads for other software and coerce the users to buy them. This is model for distributing paid applications — the actors behnd Perfect PC Cleanup will gain a percentage of the income for every sold product.
- Data Collection — As the application has access to the infected data it will be able to harvest sensitive data. It can be used to construct a complete profile of the machine: hardware components, user settings and operating system conditions. If configured so the identity of the users can be exposed: their name, address, phone number, location and any stored account credentials.
- Additional Virus Infections — Such applications serve as a useful tool for delivering other infections to the already compromised systems.
According to the security reports one of the main goals of Perfect PC Cleanup versions is to coerce the victim users into paying a a subscription plan to unlock all features and receive application updates. This means that at the start of the application for the first time the utility may strt up a scanner and present various threats, bugs and other dangers to the computer. In return for the premium version it will promise to fix the found problems. One of the reasons why users are discouraged into paying for such software is that most of them are merely an user interface to the existing Windows system utilities.
The malicious versions associated with the program are listed under the following signatures:
FileRepMetagen [PUP] Generic PUA DH (PUA)
Riskware ( dec002021 )
Perfect PC Cleanup — Privacy Issues
The end-user license agreement posted at one of the sites shows that there are some serious privacy issue when using the application. The application will pop-up various messages (including dialog boxes and prompts),as well as send out emails with ads. Abuse of this can lead to the spread of malware and SPAM messages.
Another dangerous consequence is the fact that the document does not list the type of collected data. As such this can include practically every single type of sensitive data including the following:
- OS Version
- PC Name
- Installed RAM and CPU
- Stored Passwords
- Installed Applications
- Regional Settings
- Accessed Sites
- Files Organization
How to Remove Perfect PC Cleanup Rogue System Utility
In order to remove Perfect PC Cleanup and all its associated files from your PC you should complete all steps listed in the removal that follows. It presents both manual and automatic removal approaches that combined could help you to remove this undesired program in full. The automatic approach could properly locate all potentially harmful files so that you could access and remove them easily. Have in mind that some of the files associated with this rogue program may be detected with different names than Perfect PC Cleanup.
In case that you have further questions or need additional help, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact us via email.