The Recme Scarab virus is a new version of the Scarab ransomware family. It has been detected in an ongoing attack that carries the new versions. Like the previous versions it is capable of inflicting much damage to the victim hosts.
|Short Description||The ransomware encrypts sensitive information on your computer system with the .recme extensions and demands a ransom to be paid to allegedly recover them.|
|Symptoms||The ransomware will encrypt your files with a strong encryption algorithm.|
|Distribution Method||Spam Emails, Email Attachments|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by Recme Scarab |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Recme Scarab.|
|Data Recovery Tool||Windows Data Recovery by Stellar Phoenix Notice! This product scans your drive sectors to recover lost files and it may not recover 100% of the encrypted files, but only few of them, depending on the situation and whether or not you have reformatted your drive.|
Recme Scarab Virus – Distribution Ways
The Recme Scarab virus is being distributed using the most common tactics associated with the Scarab ransomware family. One of the main mechanisms is the use of email SPAM messages that are created in bulk using templates that are modeled after the notifications used by popular Internet services. They can either be directly attached or hyperlinked in the body contents. To increase the number of infected hosts the criminals may also create supporting fake download sites that spoof popular web services. Together with the counterfeit emails they are the main method for another infection mechanism — infected payloads. There are two popular versions of it:
- Applications Installers — The criminals behind the Recme Scarab virus can create dangerous software installers by taking the legitimate files from the official vendor sites and modifying them with the malware. Often popular applications are targeted such as system utilities, productivity apps or creativity suites.
- Infected Documents — Using a similar mechanism the hackers can embed the Recme Scarab virus startup scripts in documents of different types: rich text documents, spreadsheets, presentations and databases.
Strains associated with the Scarab ransomware family can also be spread via browser hijackers. They represent malicious web browser plugins that are spread using the relevant application’s extension repository. The criminals behind the plugins often use fake developer credentials and user reviews along with an elaborate description in order to fool the users into installing the malicious extensions.
Recme Scarab Virus – In-Depth Analysis
The Recme Scarab virus is the newest strain that originates from the Scarab ransomware family. The security analysis reveals that it shares much with the code of former versions which means that it may be an updated version of former variants. There are two possible explanations for the continuous creation of Scarab ransomware:
- The hackers behind Scarab are incrementally creating several versions of the ransomware in order to track the different campaigns.
- The computer hackers behind the original Scarab ransomware are offering customization services or have provided the source code on the underground markets. This allows individual actors and criminal collectives to create their own versions of Scarab.
Like other similar threats it can launch several modules depending on the targets. One of the first ones is typically the information gathering component. It is programmed to harvest strings that can reveal the victim’s identity and their hardware. Ransomware strains such as this one are widely used to expose the identity of the users, as well as commit identity theft and financial abuse crimes. Examples include taking the user’s name, address, telephone number, interests, locations and passwords found on the infected hosts.
The harvested data can then be processed by a stealth protection module that is able to protect the target computers from dscovery by scanning for the presence of any security measures. The list includes all sorts of anti-virus products, firewalls, virtual machine hosts, debug environments and etc. They can be either disabled or completely removed depending on the specific instructions.
Once the Recme Scarab has been deployed onto the target systems the virus engine will begin to cause various system modifications. Usually most of them are set against the Windows Registry. When the modifications are made to entries belonging to the operating system overall perforamnce may suffer. When such actions are done against individual user-installed software certain functions may be disabled.
The Recme Scarab virus can be instituted as a persistent threat. The underlying engine reconfigures the boot options so that the Recme Scarab virus will be started every time the computer boots. It may also prohibit the users from entering into the boot recovery menu. It can block the startup of certain services and applications as well. By hooking to system services and user-installed applications the Recme Scarab virus can harvest the user input and interaction in real time.
One of the most dangerous effects upon the target computers that an installed Recme Scarab virus can facilitate is a malicious network connection to hacker-controlled servers. They are used to spy on the victims, take over control of their machines and deploy other threats and additional modules.
Recme Scarab Virus -Encryption
The Recme Scarab virus launches its ransomware engine once all components have executed successfully. It uses a strong cipher that is shared with the previous versions and a built-in list of target data. An example one can include the following:
All victim files are renamed with the .recme extension which reads the following message:
HOW TO DECRYPT YOUR FILES
Your personal ID
Your files, documents, photo, databases and all the rest aren’t
are ciphered by the most reliable enciphering.
All information about clients and their personal data was uploaded.
You must have no illusion that you can get out of this situation without our help.
You have two choices:
1. Unsuccessful try to decrypt files and lose them along with the business.
2. Or write to us and pay for the decryption keys and back clients files and.
We are not going to destroy your business. We show the problem on real example.
ATTENTION! If you do not contact us within two days, the decryption keys will be destroyed and
we will send some of files to your clients with information about your disability. They will pay
instead of you or we will put all data on the network.
Don’t waste time, the cost directly depends on the time of contact with us.
You will be able to restore files so:
contact us by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* report your ID and we will switch off any removal of files
(if you don’t report your ID identifier within 48 hours, decrypt key will be lost)
* you send your ID identifier and 2 files, up to 1 MB in size everyone.
We decipher them, as proof of a possibility of interpretation.
also you receive the instruction where and how many it is necessary to pay.
you pay and confirm payment.
after payment you receive the DECODER program. which you restore ALL YOUR FILES.
You have 48 hours on payment.
If you don’t manage to pay in 48 hours, then the price of interpretation increases twice.
The price increases twice each 48 hours.
To restore files, without loss, and on the minimum tariff, you have to pay within 48 hours.
Address for detailed instructions e-mail: email@example.com
* If you don’t waste time for attempts to decipher, then you will be able to restore all files in 1 hour.
* If you try to decipher – you can FOREVER lose your files.
* Decoders of other users are incompatible with your data as at each user unique key of enciphering
If it is impossible to communicate through mail
* Be registered on the website http://bitmsg.me (service online of sending Bitmessage)
* Write the letter to the address BM-2cTgGUjqALdcJp2kEhsgUUnhpFPgkikerB with the indication of your mail and
the personal identifier and we will communicate.
If you have no bitcoins
* Create Bitcoin purse: https://blockchain.info
* Buy Bitcoin in the convenient way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin (the instruction for beginners)
– It doesn’t make sense to complain of us and to arrange a hysterics.
– Complaints having blocked e-mail, you deprive a possibility of the others, to decipher the computers.
Other people at whom computers are also ciphered you deprive of the ONLY hope to decipher. FOREVER.
– Just contact with us, we will stipulate conditions of interpretation of files and available payment,
in a friendly situation
Remove Scarab Ransomware Virus and Restore .recme Files
If your computer got infected with the Scarab Ransomware ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.
Remove Recme Scarab Virus and Restore .recme Files
If your computer system got infected with the Recme Scarab ransomware virus, you should have a bit of experience in removing malware. You should get rid of this ransomware as quickly as possible before it can have the chance to spread further and infect other computers. You should remove the ransomware and follow the step-by-step instructions guide provided below.