This article will help you to remove Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up efficiently. Follow the redirect removal instructions given at the end of the article.
Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected is a browser pop-up infection. The website will redirect you to its own search engine and could push advertisements. While using its services, you can find yourself on unfamiliar pages with lots of pop-ups and sponsored content that go through this hijacker. The hijacker might change the start page, new tab, and search settings for the browser applications you have on your Mac.
|Name||Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected|
|Type||Intrusive Pop-Ups, PUP|
|Short Description||Each browser application on your computer could get affected. The hijacker can redirect you and will display lots of advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Browser settings which are altered are the homepage, search engine and the new tab.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected.|
Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up for Mac – Delivery
The “Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up” is a persistent and annoying threat that targets both iOS and Mac OS users. It is distributed using several methods such as the following:
- Spam Sites — By mistyping addresses of well-known companies or Internet portals the users will be lured into the pop-ups. This is done by creating similar sounding pages and domain names.
- Email Message Redirects — Spam messages that are part of large phishing campaigns can include the links to the pop-up. This is a common way of spreading such malicious threats to large groups of people. The senders can impersonate Google, Apple or other companies.
- Infected Documents — Macro-infected documents of all popular types can be embedded with scripts that can call the pop-up browser. Such include all files that are text documents, spreadsheets, presentations or databases. When they are opened with the necessary office program the victims will be shown a prompt that asks them to enable the scripts. If this is done the code will open up and show the pop-ups.
- Browser Hijackers — One of the main reasons sources of such infections is the creation and distribution of fake and malicious extensions for the most popular web browsers. Many of them have versions developed for the Mac and iOS operating systems as well. They are uploaded to their respective repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials. Their descriptions will advertise performance optimizations and feature additions. When they are installed the users will be redirected to the pop-ups by changing default options: the home page, search engine and new tabs page.
Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up for Mac – Analysis
The Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up for Mac is a persistent threat which is being operated by different hackers and criminal groups. Many of them are created by smaller collectives and custom variants can arise in each subsequent campaign.
The pop-ups are usually caused by a visit of a malicious site or script instance. They promise gifts and promotions and various user interactions. This can cause various dangerous infections and system modifications:
- Web Browser Changes — In most of the cases scripts and downloads that are run by the users can manipulate the web browsers into automatically redirecting the users to the pop-up site. Example values include the following: the default home page, search engine and new tabs page.
- Sponsored Content Redirect — One of the reasons why these are popular with hackers is the fact that the pop-up links can lead to sponsored content. Every time a user interacts with the scam site income will be generated for the hacker operators.
- Malware Infections — The pop-up pages can lead to a file download that can infect the users with all popular types of malware: ransomware, Trojans and miners.
Most of them can redirect the users to phishing pages where the victims will be asked to input their account credentials for various online services. If entered they will automatically be sent to the hacker operators. Additionally landing pages, pop-ups, banners and other web content can place intrusive tracking cookies which will monitor the users activity. If combined with a data harvesting component the data can be grouped into two main categories:
- Personal Information — Information about the victim users that can expose their identities and information is automatically acquired. Examples include their real name, address, phone number, location and any stored account credentials. Stand-alone malicious infections can access contents of the hard drive, operating system memory,browsers and installed third-party applications and services.
- Hardware Information — A report of the installed hardware components can be generated. It may also acquire information about the regional settings, operating system values and user options.
Remove Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up for Mac
To remove Congratulations Google User You’ve Been Selected Pop-Up manually from your computer or any unwanted software from your Mac device we recommend that you use a specific anti-malware for Mac machines. The main goal of such a program is to scan your machine and terminate the files with malicious behavior and also clean up any malicious code in your repositories. In addition, with a specific anti-malware program, your machine will remain with a better protection and stay healthy performance-wise in the future.
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected FAQ
What is Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from Congratulations Google User You've Been Selected?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our website, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.