What Is EasyMacSoft on Mac?
EasyMacSoft is know to be an ad-supported software for Mac that monetises it presence on affected machines by showing different advertisements. Those adverts are involved in pay-per-click schemes that genrate revenue for fraudsters. Usually such programs promote different types of third-party websites that are wither poorly secured or host dangerous content. This, in turn, makes them indirectly dangerous for your computer.
Read this article to learn more about how EasyMacSoft adware functions and how you can remove it from your Mac effectively.
EasyMacSoft Mac – Details
|Short Description||Aims to modify the settings on your computer in order to get it to cause browser redirects and display different advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Your device begins to display various types of online advertisements, which results in slowing down of your machine.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
See If Your Mac Has Been Affected by EasyMacSoft
Malware Removal Tool
EasyMacSoft – How Did I Get Infected?
The EasyMacSoft adware program is very likely one of the AdLoad family of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) for Mac. If it is so, the program shares some similarities with the recently found SelectorComponent, EdgeAdvanced and JumpSearch apps, which are other nasty adware apps that affect macOS.
Two main methods have been reported to be among the arsenal of fraudsters standing behind AdLoad malware campaigns – software bundling and fake Flash Player updates.
The first one involves adding the installation files of EasyMacSoft to the installers of various other free apps. You may have downloaded one such app from a third-party website. Usually, people skip the steps that reveal the presence of added extras. The information is often located in the Advanced install step. The unwanted app may appear like the following example shows:
Regarding the fake Adobe Flash Player updates, they may be desinged to look like the following example:
EasyMacSoft – What Does It Do?
When EasyMacSoft accesses your Mac, it freely begins to modify different settings. Both macOS and web browsers settings may be affected by the adware. Changes may include replaced default homepage, search engine, and new tab page. Unnoticed installs of suspicious browser extensions. On top of that all processes could happen without your consent.
All of the activities aim to run scripts that display lots of other sispicious ads on your device. Your machine may be flooded with the following types of adverts:
- Intrusive push notifications.
- Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
- Interruptive banner ads.
- Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
- Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
Note that just like other applications of this type, EasyMacSoft Mac adware may also track what you do on your browser. The help of different types of tracking technologies, like cookies may enable it to harvest data and transfer it to remove servers:
EasyMacSoft and the websites it pushes could use the tracking technologies mentioned aboce in order to collect the following information from your device:
- What you have visited.
- Your mouse movements.
- Your mouse clicks.
- IP and Mac addresses.
- Your bookmarked websites.
- The browsing history from your browser.
- What searches you have made.
Is EasyMacSoft a Virus?
Shortly, no. EasyMacSoft is not a Mac virus but a potentially unwanted application of adware type. It poses indirect risk to your Mac. Your information on the machine is also endangered by it. Furthermore, the advertisements it shows during browsing sessions could lead to virtually all kinds of sites including the following:
- Rogue software sites.
- Web pages that contain scams.
- Redirects to dangerous sites via multiple pay-per-click redirects.
- Survey sites that are fraud.
- Phishing pages.
- URLs, containing a virus infection file or script.
- Tech support fraud pages.
The main reason why you should be focusing on removing this program from your device as soon as you can.
How to Remove EasyMacSoft from Mac?
In order to get rid of EasyMacSoft completely from your Mac, we would strongly suggest that you follow the removal instructions which have been posted beneath. The main idea of these steps is t help you get rid of the software and all of the files that are related to it from both your browsers and your macOS. For the most effective removal, security professionals strongly recommend that you utilize anti-malware software for Mac. Scanning your device with such a security program will make sure that all of the threats in it are effectively detected and automatically taken care of.
About the EasyMacSoft Research
The content we publish on SensorsTechForum.com, this EasyMacSoft how-to removal guide included, is the outcome of extensive research, hard work and our team’s devotion to help you remove the specific macOS issue.
How did we conduct the research on EasyMacSoft?
Please note that our research is based on an independent investigation. We are in contact with independent security researchers, thanks to which we receive daily updates on the latest malware definitions, including the various types of Mac threats, especially adware and potentially unwanted apps (PUAs).
Furthermore, the research behind the EasyMacSoft threat is backed with VirusTotal.
To better understand the threat posed by Mac malware, please refer to the following articles which provide knowledgeable details.
1. macOS More Susceptible to Adware and PUPs than Windows
2. XLoader Malware-as-a-Service Now Available for macOS for Only $49
3. XCSSET Mac Malware Targets Apple’s M1-Based Macs and macOS 11
4. macOS Backdoor Malware Linked to OceanLotus Hackers
5. The State of Apple’s Privacy So Far in 2021
Before starting to follow the steps below, be advised that you should first do the following preparations:
- Backup your files in case the worst happens.
- Make sure to have a device with these instructions on standy.
- Arm yourself with patience.
Step 1: Uninstall EasyMacSoft and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
2. Find Activity Monitor and double-click it:
3. In the Activity Monitor look for any suspicious processes, belonging or related to EasyMacSoft:
4. Click on the "Go" button again, but this time select Applications. Another way is with the ⇧+⌘+A buttons.
5. In the Applications menu, look for any suspicious app or an app with a name, similar or identical to EasyMacSoft. If you find it, right-click on the app and select “Move to Trash”.
6. Select Accounts, after which click on the Login Items preference. Your Mac will then show you a list of items that start automatically when you log in. Look for any suspicious apps identical or similar to EasyMacSoft. Check the app you want to stop from running automatically and then select on the Minus (“-“) icon to hide it.
7. Remove any left-over files that might be related to this threat manually by following the sub-steps below:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove EasyMacSoft via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
1. Click on "Go" and Then "Go to Folder" as shown underneath:
2. Type in "/Library/LauchAgents/" and click Ok:
3. Delete all of the virus files that have similar or the same name as EasyMacSoft. If you believe there is no such file, do not delete anything.
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Remove EasyMacSoft – related extensions from Safari / Chrome / Firefox
Step 3: Scan for and remove EasyMacSoft files from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts and programs such as EasyMacSoft, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. SpyHunter for Mac offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Quick and Easy Mac Malware Video Removal Guide
Step 4: How to Make Your Mac Run Faster?
Mac machines maintain probably the fastest operating system out there. Still, Macs do become slow and sluggish sometimes. The video guide below examines all of the possible problems that may lead to your Mac being slower than usual as well as all of the steps that can help you to speed up your Mac.
What is EasyMacSoft on your Mac?
The creators of such unwanted apps work with pay-per-click schemes to get your Mac to visit risky or different types of websites that may generate them funds. This is why they do not even care what types of websites show up on the ads. This makes their unwanted software indirectly risky for your MacOS.
Can my Mac get a virus?
Yes. As much as any other device, Apple computers do get viruses. Apple devices may not be a frequent target by malware authors, but rest assured that the following Apple devices can become infected with a virus:
- Mac Mini
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro
What are the symptoms of EasyMacSoft on your Mac?
There are several symptoms to look for when this particular threat and also most Mac threats in general are active:
Symptom #1: Your Mac may become slow and has poor performance in general.
Symtpom #2: You have toolbars, add-ons or extensions on your web browsers that you don't remember adding.
Symptom #3: You see all types of ads, like ad-supported search results, pop-ups and redirects to randomly appear.
Symptom #4: You see installed apps on your Mac running automatically and you do not remember installing them.
Symptom #5: You see suspicious processes running in your Mac's Activity Monitor.
If you see one or more of those symptoms, then security experts reccomend that you check your Mac for viruses.
What types of Mac threats are there?
According to most malware researchers and cyber-security experts, the threats that can currently infect your Mac can be the following types:
- Rogue Antivirus programs.
- Adware and hijackers.
- Trojan horses and other spyware.
- Ransomware and screen-lockers.
- Cryptocurrency miner malware.
What to do if I have a Mac virus, like EasyMacSoft?
Do not panic! You can easily get rid of most Mac threats by firstly isolating them and then removing them. One reccomended way to do that is by using a reputable malware removal software that can take care of the removal automatically for you. There are many Mac anti-malware apps out there that you can choose from. SpyHunter for Mac is one of the reccomended Mac anti-malware apps, that can scan for free and detect any viruses, tracking cookies and unwanted adware apps plus take care of them quickly. This saves time for manual removal that you would otherwise have to do.
How to secure my passwords and other data from EasyMacSoft?
With few simple actions. First and foremost, it is imperative that you follow these steps:
Step 1: Find a safe computer and connect it to another network, not the one that your Mac was infected in.
Step 2: Change all of your passwords, starting from your e-mail passwords.
Step 3: Enable two-factor authentication for protection of your important accounts.
Step 4: Call your bank to change your credit card details (secret code, etc.) if you have saved your credit card for online shopping or have done online activiites with your card.
Step 5: Make sure to call your ISP (Internet provider or carrier) and ask them to change your IP address.
Step 6: Change your Wi-Fi password.
Step 7: (Optional): Make sure to scan all of the devices connected to your network for viruses and repeat these steps for them if they are affected.
Step 8: Install anti-malware software with real-time protection on every device you have.
Step 9: Try not to download software from sites you know nothing about and stay away from low-reputation websites in general.
If you follow these reccomendations, your network and Apple devices will become significantly more safe against any threats or information invasive software and be virus free and protected in the future too.
More tips you can find on our MacOS Virus section, where you can also ask any questions and comment about your Mac problems.