The Game Searcher PRO redirect is a generic threat of this malware category exhibited in both a dangerous web browser extension and a hacker-controlled site combination. It is designed into changing important web browser settings so that the victims will be lured into opening and interacting with the malware site. This can lead to numerous malicious actions that will be run.
|Name||Game Searcher PRO redirect|
|Type||Browser Hijacker, PUP|
|Short Description||Each browser application on your computer could get affected. The hijacker can redirect you and will display lots of advertisements.|
|Symptoms||Browser settings which are altered are the homepage, search engine and the new tab.|
|Distribution Method||Freeware Installations, Bundled Packages|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by malware |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss Game Searcher PRO redirect.|
What Is Game Searcher PRO Redirect?
Game Searcher Pro is a standard redirect page which follows the well-known behavior which is expected of malware of this type. It is usually tied to the execution of a web browser hijacker, a malware plugin that is designed to be compatible with all modern web browsers. These extensions will change the settings so that the users will be redirected to the hacker-controlled page.
Common strategies through which these extensions can be acquired include the inclusion of the plugins in phishing content. They are usually email messages or landing pages that impersonate companies and services that the users known and trust. They can include faked content and also self-signed security certificates.
These browser hijackers can also be installed by means of packaged delivery — this means that the infection will happen through interaction with another file. Common examples are the software installers of popular applications, as well as documents of all popular formats: spreadsheets, presentations, databases and text documents. When opened by the victims a prompt will be shown asking the victims to enable the built-in script which will lead to the infection.
These files can also be uploaded to file-sharing networks, the best known example is BitTorrent which is often used to spread both pirate and legitimate data. The hackers can also use fake identities and distribute the files over online communities — they can range from online forums and chat rooms to social networks.
When the infection has started the Game Searcher Pro redirect will open the relevant hacker-controlled page. It will deploy tracking cookies which will monitor the behavior of the visitors as they navigate through the site.
The portal page itself is designed to look like any legitimate search engine and will manipulate the users into thinking that it is safe to use. Potential interaction with it can lead to numerous dangerous consequences including the following:
- Virus Infections — Web threats usually include the popular cryptocurrency miners which can be run from within the web browsers. They work by downloading and running performance intensive tasks for which the hackers will receive cryptocurrency assets as a reward. Another popular option is the remote control Trojan which is used to completely take over control of the victim machines. In some cases such infection campaigns can be used to deliver file encrypting ransomware — they will automatically encrypt and process user files and then extort the victims for a payment fee.
- Malware Pages Display — As the site is designed to look like a legitimate and useful search engine the hackers can also send out affiliate links, scams or even malicious content. They can be placed both in the site as pages and links, as well as interactive elements such as banners and pop-ups.
- Tracking Information — By using tracking cookies and other web technologies the browser redirect and hijacker combination can also collect system and personal information.
We remind our readers that at any time the behavior can change depending on the hacker instructions or page changes. For this reason active infection should be removed as soon as possible in order to prevent additional damage.
Remove Game Searcher PRO Browser Hijacker
To remove Game Searcher PRO manually from your computer, follow the step-by-step removal instructions provided below. In case the manual removal does not get rid of the hijacker redirect and its files completely, you should search for and remove any leftovers with an advanced anti-malware tool. Such a program can keep your computer safe in the future.
- Guide 1: How to Remove Game Searcher PRO redirect from Windows.
- Guide 2: Get rid of Game Searcher PRO redirect from Mac OS X.
- Guide 3: Remove Game Searcher PRO redirect from Google Chrome.
- Guide 4: Erase Game Searcher PRO redirect from Mozilla Firefox.
- Guide 5: Uninstall Game Searcher PRO redirect from Microsoft Edge.
- Guide 6: Remove Game Searcher PRO redirect from Safari.
- Guide 7: Eliminate Game Searcher PRO redirect from Internet Explorer.
How to Remove Game Searcher PRO redirect from Windows.
Step 1: Boot Your PC In Safe Mode to isolate and remove Game Searcher PRO redirect
Step 2: Uninstall Game Searcher PRO redirect and related software from Windows
Here is a method in few easy steps that should be able to uninstall most programs. No matter if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP, those steps will get the job done. Dragging the program or its folder to the recycle bin can be a very bad decision. If you do that, bits and pieces of the program are left behind, and that can lead to unstable work of your PC, errors with the file type associations and other unpleasant activities. The proper way to get a program off your computer is to Uninstall it.
Step 3: Clean any registries, created by Game Searcher PRO redirect on your computer.
The usually targeted registries of Windows machines are the following:
You can access them by opening the Windows registry editor and deleting any values, created by Game Searcher PRO redirect there. This can happen by following the steps underneath:
Get rid of Game Searcher PRO redirect from Mac OS X.
Step 1: Uninstall Game Searcher PRO redirect and remove related files and objects
1. Hit the ⇧+⌘+U keys to open Utilities. Another way is to click on “Go” and then click “Utilities”, like the image below shows:
- Go to Finder.
- In the search bar type the name of the app that you want to remove.
- Above the search bar change the two drop down menus to “System Files” and “Are Included” so that you can see all of the files associated with the application you want to remove. Bear in mind that some of the files may not be related to the app so be very careful which files you delete.
- If all of the files are related, hold the ⌘+A buttons to select them and then drive them to “Trash”.
In case you cannot remove Game Searcher PRO redirect via Step 1 above:
In case you cannot find the virus files and objects in your Applications or other places we have shown above, you can manually look for them in the Libraries of your Mac. But before doing this, please read the disclaimer below:
You can repeat the same procedure with the following other Library directories:
Tip: ~ is there on purpose, because it leads to more LaunchAgents.
Step 2: Scan for and remove malware from your Mac
When you are facing problems on your Mac as a result of unwanted scripts, programs and malware, the recommended way of eliminating the threat is by using an anti-malware program. Combo Cleaner offers advanced security features along with other modules that will improve your Mac’s security and protect it in the future.
Remove Game Searcher PRO redirect from Google Chrome.
Step 1: Start Google Chrome and open the drop menu
Step 2: Move the cursor over "Tools" and then from the extended menu choose "Extensions"
Step 3: From the opened "Extensions" menu locate the unwanted extension and click on its "Remove" button.
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Google Chrome by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Erase Game Searcher PRO redirect from Mozilla Firefox.
Step 1: Start Mozilla Firefox. Open the menu window
Step 2: Select the "Add-ons" icon from the menu.
Step 3: Select the unwanted extension and click "Remove"
Step 4: After the extension is removed, restart Mozilla Firefox by closing it from the red "X" button at the top right corner and start it again.
Uninstall Game Searcher PRO redirect from Microsoft Edge.
Step 1: Start Edge browser.
Step 2: Open the drop menu by clicking on the icon at the top right corner.
Step 3: From the drop menu select "Extensions".
Step 4: Choose the suspected malicious extension you want to remove and then click on the gear icon.
Step 5: Remove the malicious extension by scrolling down and then clicking on Uninstall.
Remove Game Searcher PRO redirect from Safari.
Step 1: Start the Safari app.
Step 2: After hovering your mouse cursor to the top of the screen, click on the Safari text to open its drop down menu.
Step 3: From the menu, click on "Preferences".
Step 4: After that, select the 'Extensions' Tab.
Step 5: Click once on the extension you want to remove.
Step 6: Click 'Uninstall'.
A pop-up window will appear asking for confirmation to uninstall the extension. Select 'Uninstall' again, and the Game Searcher PRO redirect will be removed.
Eliminate Game Searcher PRO redirect from Internet Explorer.
Step 1: Start Internet Explorer.
Step 2: Click on the gear icon labeled 'Tools' to open the drop menu and select 'Manage Add-ons'
Step 3: In the 'Manage Add-ons' window.
Step 4: Select the extension you want to remove and then click 'Disable'. A pop-up window will appear to inform you that you are about to disable the selected extension, and some more add-ons might be disabled as well. Leave all the boxes checked, and click 'Disable'.
Step 5: After the unwanted extension has been removed, restart Internet Explorer by closing it from the red 'X' button located at the top right corner and start it again.