The geofoxip.com redirect is a malware browser hijacker and hacker-controlled page which is set to infect as many victims as possible. At the moment there is no information available about the hacking group behind it. As a result all popular distribution techniques may be used:
- Phishing Email Messages — The criminals coordinate mass SPAM-like sending of phishing messages. They appear as being sent by well-known companies or services. By clicking on interactive links and the relevant content the geofoxip.com redirect can be installed.
- Hacker-made Sites — A used method is the creation of malware pages. They are hosted on similar sounding domain names to popular Internet. Their content can be stolen or created to look like legitimate information that originates from safe and trustworthy places. For added authenticity they can include stolen or self-signed security certificates.
- Browser Hijackers — The hackers will create plugins for the most popular web browsers that include the geofoxip.com redirect scripts. They are widely uploaded to their associated repositories with fake user reviews and developer credentials.
- Payload Carriers — To facilitate a larger infection release the hackers may embed the necessary virus code into all kinds of files. A popular mechanism is the creation of malicious documents containing the required scripts. The alternative would be to create dangerous application installers of well-known software that is often acquired by end user.
When the geofoxip.com redirect is installed on a computer its engine may access the web browsers and the contained within information can be accessed. The first time the malware page is visited it will automatically install multiple tracking cookies. They will record the visitors browsing habits and automatically transmit them to the hackers. One of the most dangerous consequences of having such redirects active on a given computer is the activation of a data harvesting component. It can reveal personal information about the victims and use them for crimes such as blackmail and abuse. hat’s more dangerous is that the malware site on which the geofoxip.com redirect is hosted on can present various malicious content:
- Advertising — The geofoxip redirect can be used to display various kind of advertising in all popular forms: banners, pop-ups, redirects, text links and etc. Redirect pages can loan the page for a given price, this means that for every interaction the operators will receive income.
- Miners — They are launched as soon as the relevant page is opened. It will take advantage of available system resources in order to execute complex tasks. Whenever one of them is reported as completed the hackers will receive cryptocurrency directly into their wallets.
- Phishing Tactics — Such sites can be used to spread various phishing strategies including scam sites, profiles and etc.
The behavior of such threats can dynamically change as the hackers shift their tactics in real time. Browser hijackers like this one are popular with criminal groups as the harvested information can be shared to a single database. The collected data can then be sold for profit to interested parties.
|Short Description||geofoxip.com is a web page, caused by a browser hijacker. It is unwanted, because it may lead you to dangerous sites.|
|Symptoms||Your web browser may start to behave in a strange way. You may receive redirects and other types of ads and your PC’s performance may sharply decline.|
|Distribution Method||Bundled downloads. Web pages which may advertise it.|
|Detection Tool|| See If Your System Has Been Affected by geofoxip.com |
Malware Removal Tool
|User Experience||Join Our Forum to Discuss geofoxip.com.|
geofoxip.com – HOW Did I Get It
The geofoxip.com redirect is a common web infection which is commonly found across Internet browser hijackers. They are malicious plugins which are made compatible with the most popular software. Another possible source of infections is the installation of PUPs which are potentially unwanted software. They are designed to appear as legitimate software however upon running them the redirect files will be placed in the victim’s computer and started.
Beware of phishing emails that may pose as legitimate services and attempt to coerce the victims into interacting with them which will eventually lead to a redirect installation.
Such redirects can be spread via malicious sites that aim to persuade the visitors into thinking that they have accessed a legitimate and safe web page. They are usually hosted on similar sounding domain names to well-known sites and may include forged or stolen security certificates.
Various payload delivery methods can be used to spread the geofoxip.com redirect to the intended victims. There are two main types:
- Infected Documents — The hackers can embed the necessary scrips that will lead to the infection in the most common document file types: presentations, spreadsheets, text documents and databases. When they are opened by the victims a prompt will ask for permissions to run them. The quoted reason is that this is required in order to view the contents of the files.
- Malware Software Bundles — The criminals behind the geofoxip.com redirect can place the installation code in application installers of popular software. They are spread using various methods and are very difficult to detect.
The redirect related files can be spread via file sharing networks of which BitTorrent is currently the most popular one. Another frequently used method is the integration of the relevant code into browser hijackers which are malicious extensions made for the most popular web browsers. They are posted with fake user reviews and developer credentials in order to coerce the visitors into downloading and installing them.
geofoxip.com – What Does It DO
The geofoxip.com is a classic browser-based redirect which will redirect the victims to this hacker-controlled page every time the web browser is run. This can lead to dangerous behavior as soon as the users start to interact with the site:
- Tracking of their Internet activity
- Advertising content such as pop-ups, banners, text links and etc
- Deployment of other malicious infections: Trojans, ransomware and etc
Such redirects are very useful for launching cryptocurrency miners which will take advantage of the available hardware resources in order to generate cryptocurrency for the hackers.
One of the most dangerous effects of having this redirect active is that it can automatically track the users and their web activity. Having access to the web browser means that the active malware will be able to hijack all stored data within: cookies, history, bookmarks, settings and even stored account credentials. All hijacked data will be automatically uploaded to the servers operated by the hackers.
How to REMOVE geofoxip.com
The removal of geofoxip.com may be a very tricky process, because of the fact that the unwanted program introducing this scam page may have files spread all of your hard drive. This is the main reason why we strongly advise you to follow the removal steps below. They are made so that if the problem persists after step 1 and 2, you can use a powerful anti-malware software(recommended). Be advised that security professionals often advise victims to remove this adware via an advanced anti-malware program. This will help save you significant time and will make sure that all of the persistent files and objects of geofoxip.com are fully gone from your PC.